“Absolutely unbelievable ambiance!!”
Review of Pontac Manor Hotel

Pontac Manor Hotel
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Paarl
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I would recommend this hotel as high as possible. The ambiance and tranquility with squirrels running in the huge acorn trees was a nice touch to our stay. The rooms was very spacious and well appointed. Breakfast really superb.
Staff & Manager was very professional and friendly and ensured we had a lovely stay.
The Cattle Baron restaurant was excellent. Have not had better Malva desert ever.
Paarl is a lovely town with various amazing heritage buildings and a unique feel to it.
We had three rooms and all were impressive.
Will return shortly!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 April 2013

The hotel itself is very nice, but some of the outside rooms are showing signs of poor maintenance, and the manager(ess) behavior was appalling.

Our outside room had a broken toilet hinge, a broken strip of wood on the mirror was missing (cosmetic but makes an impression), and the kettle element was covered in green limestone inside and in our opinion unusable!

There were other issues too, the one side of my sisters double bed was broken so they both had to sleep on the left side.

When we went to check-out the next day there was a queue as everyones bill appeared to be wrong. We were a wedding party of 29 people in this hotel and everyone I spoke to had either been charged the wrong rate or their deposit was not reflecting.

When I queried why my bill said I owed R900 for the room when I had paid in full during the booking I was told that I was being charged at the Rack Rate and therefore my deposit was insufficient. When I pointed out that we were part of a special pre-agreed rate for our wedding party booked and paid for months ago, I was told that i must have booked directly on their website instead of through the special wedding link to get the special rate, and there was nothing they could do, i would just have to pay the extra. When I pointed out this this was not the case, that I had booked through the wedding party, the "manageress" was called and she came down "guns blazing" telling me that there was some technicality with the agreement, and that the Bride was somehow at fault and that it was no longer applicable and we had to now pay the full rate. This was before she even greeted us, or asked us to explain the problem. I said legally you cant do that because I have a confirmation from you at the agreed rate, which I paid, and you never notified me (or anyone else) prior about this change.

She said that was impossible, and I was mistaken (apparently the "Customer is Always Wrong" at Pontac Manor). I said I have proof but she ignored me and proceeded to talk over me telling me I was wrong whilst I was trying to show her the evidence on my smartphone. Eventually I had to politely tell her to shut-up and listen for a second so that I could actually show her the booking confirmation email from them. After that somehow I was still wrong, we all were (all 29 of us), but at that point the logic was evading me so we left hastily with a bitter taste in our mouth (I refused to pay the difference but gave them my details so they could sort it out with me later).

I will not stay there again. With better management this would be a nice hotel, but our "experience" this time was awful.

Room Tip: Try and get a room inside the main manor, not one of the outside rooms, as they have issues. Also lo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank CapeTownAndrewM
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We've stayed at Pontac Manor a number of times over the years, but it seems to have lost the boutiquey charm and now caters for volumes of tourists. The outstanding restaurant has been replaced by a Cattle Baron. For the cost, we would probably search out a homely B&B with involved owners...

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank WestvigK
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I would like to take the time to express my utmost disappointment in the services of Pontac Manor Hotel – never have I EVER felt so humiliated before in my life. On 15 February 2012, I [specifically] made a booking for the honeymoon suite, for the night of 15 December 2012 – just to check in to some standard-nothing-special room, on the first night of our wedding (15 December 2012). After hours of initially looking for the perfect overnight opportunity, I chose Pontac Manor. That must be the worst mistake I have ever made in my life. I was very ashamed towards my beautiful wife – who did not deserve this type of “romantic treatment”…

I was shocked to see that the “honeymoon suite” was not what I saw on the website (http://www.pontac.com/paarl-honeymoon-accommodation-cape-winelands). Even worse, that it was not what was described by the hotel manager, telephonically. The room we stayed in was next to the restaurant and dining area… We had the most unpleasant and rude awakening the next morning with staff preparing breakfast in the kitchen and guests having breakfast. Not to mention the two single beds (for honeymooners?) that we had to sleep on… Not the ideal overnight/ wake-up for honeymooners...

I was even more flabbergasted to find out that the actual honeymoon suite had been allocated to some well-known internationally acclaimed artist. Seriously! I have confirmed the booking on February 15 already and was not informed of the "change" throughout the whole year! Clearly Pontac's thoughts must have been that we would not even realize the difference…

In my opinion – I think the way that we have been treated; what was offered to us, is to say the least – shocking – in every sense of the word. I trust this is not the way that Pontac Manor wishes to conduct business. Our wedding’s service providers were some of the heavy weights in the industry – that is the main reason I chose to make the booking with Pontac and I am sure they could've done without a low-rating review. The manager did, in fact, contact me to apologise and offer a complimentary voucher or 50% refund. I declined this kind gesture, because no night will ever make up for the first wedding night - as I am sure most married couples will agree.

By accepting Pontac's offer of only paying 50% of the amount we paid, I assume they are holding me accountable for the other 50%... I had no hand in this matter and suggested to the manager he turn to his staff to pay up the other 50%.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank RuanduP
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Well located in the middle of town, in large garden and quiet grounds. Large and comfortable althoug somewhat worn rooms in the main building. Airconditioning works well. A closer look reveals that some modernization would be good. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. The hotel has a pool and a reasonably good (for SA standards) steak house on the grounds. The large and comfortable terrace is a plus. The free wifi works well.

Room Tip: avoid room # 17
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Spent a wonderful autumn night at this special hotel. Found the room great and the service special. Appreciated the friendliness and service from the staff. Breakfast lovely and could enjoy it outside. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the front garden!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank amanda_ctza
Reviewed 21 February 2012

On your way back from garden route to cape town we stopped in the "wine" town Paarl. We were looking for a hotel for one night - and did not want to pay 400 Euro for the Grand Roche Hotel. So we ended in this 4 star hotel off the main road in a quiet area. At the first sight, the hotel building looks very nice (from a distance). The rooms+ bathrooms are large, breakfast is included, parking free. If you take a closer look, you can see that the details are not as at first sight. There is a tremendous lack of maintenance, all pavements are uneven, the pool not prepared for guest, the showers very old, liltte dirty and the general manager standing and looking around. the biggest disappointment was the breakfast. we were asked of having "eggs done to your liking" but what we got was a bit disgusting. boiled eggs with strange colour and water inside. all food was of poor quality, the cheese plate consisted of ONE kind of cheese, the sausages looked disgusting and the cereals were not worth even looking at. What a shame, as it could be much nicer there if ....well if.... I would rate this hotel not more than 3 stars and for the overall quality you get, the price is to high. By the way: we had diner at an italian restaurant called Bossa Nova, just within short and safe walking distance. We had "Meltz" and can recommend the place and food.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TDBBerlin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paarl
De Leeuwenhof Hotel/Guesthouse
#3 of 14 in Paarl
Spier Hotel
Spier Hotel
#5 of 17 in Stellenbosch

Been to Pontac Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!