“Bit of a mix-and-match”

Price range: US$12 - US$22
Cuisines: French, Contemporary, International
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, View
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Leading contemporary South African restaurant located atop of the picturesque Helshoogte Pass outside Stellenbosch, included on the 2014 Tripadvisor Travellers' Choice SA Fine Dining Top 10 list.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Don't get me wrong, the views were beautiful. The food was good. The service was enthusiastic. The setting was proper. it just wasn't a "top class" premier experience.

Tokara is supposed to be one of the premier cuisine destinations in the Western Cape, and the prices definitely give this indication. It just doesn't live up to its reputation. The food was served well and the portions were decent. The Springbok was nice, and the Sirloin was inspirational if ordinary. The soup was thick and creamy, if slightly bland. If this is your first visit to the Western Cape, then give it a whirl, even if it is just for the view. If you have somewhere else to go, go there... it might be more interesting.

There are newer reviews for Tokara Restaurant

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I really like Richard Carsten's food. It is slightly unusual but incredibly tasty! Previous times I tried the baked Alaska salmon starter but this time I opted for the broccoli gruyere starter and bobotie sirloin as main. Everything was done to perfection. The views are really spectacular and you can see the sea and table mountain from your table on a clear day. You always leave this restaurant amazed by the unique food experience. I will be back.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Richard Carstens is genius. From the early days at Lynton Hall down the South Coast of KZN to today it's amazing to see the how much he continues to grow. It's been two years in a row that my wife and I go for our wedding anniversary. You just can't go wrong! The spectacular views just complete the entire experience. Word of warning though...try book into a B&B nearby after quaffing their great Cabernets!

1  Thank Clint W
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My wife had an excellent cauliflower soup, but I was disappointed in my appetizer. It was crisp line fish- just four little strips of fried fish and some other little things on the plate: pretty stingy portion particularly when compared to my wife’s huge bowl of delicious soup. I also made a bad main choice of roasted duck. I was expected it to be crispy but it was kind of boring. Upon reviewing the menu it did not say crispy so that was my fault. My wife fared much better with her springbok. The view was great, but service was inattentive and the place was expensive.

1  Thank Richard F
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Enjoyed a great dinner with a view of Falsbay and Cape Town in the background. Excellent wine selection.