“Very nice. Perhaps not perfect but very very good.”

Asara Wine Estate & Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Reviewed 16 May 2013

The views are lovely, no matter where you look. There are some great places to walk among the vineyards. Our room was beautiful, and staff was friendly and well intentioned. Service can be slow in this part of the world but they were pretty good. I was a little disappointed that the tapas and bistro place was closed (out of season) and the deli was closed by 5pm, but the bar food and the dining at Raphael's was great.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Asara Wine Estate & Hotel

Reviewed 8 May 2013

When we arrived at Asara we were directed to park at reception and a valet drove our car to the parking for us. At reception we were told we had been given a free upgrade, a very friendly and informative concierge took our bags and showed us to our room, a short walk away, whilst telling us lots about Asara. Once we arrived in our room, the concierge showed us how to use everything. The room, bathroom, and balcony were very clean, a great size and very luxurious. Our mini bar was full (not sure what other guests are talking about), there are a range of channels and movies to watch. The view from our room was excellent of the vineyards and reservoir. The pool was a great temperature, the sun loungers were extremely stylish and comfy, and there was a waiter giving drinks service at the pool, which were just added to the room bill. We had a quick lunch on the balcony of the cigar lounge, an excellent dinner in the restaurant and a huge (all you can eat) inclusive breakfast in the morning. Only wish our stay was longer!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Although the rooms are new and large, there seems to be no individuality as one would expect at a wine estate. The facilities are large and very commercialized. The little boutique shop was enjoyable with interesting little eateries for in-between. The restaurant was far from gourmet and one certainly gets the feeling that main dishes are already dished up and kept under the warmers long before they are ordered. My steak which was ordered medium rate arrived as a flat piece totally overcooked. My wife's veal was so tough you could hardly cut through it with a knife. Even at breakfast a simple scrambled egg order was delivered incorrectly.

Due to the restaurant, this became an unhappy experience.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
AsaraManagement, Manager at Asara Wine Estate & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Dear Guest

I am really sorry to read of your negative experience on your recent visit. I would like to apologise on behalf of the Asara Team. I can assure you this is not our normal standard nor the standard we strive to deliver
I appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. We have taken your comments and feedback seriously and will work closely with the Kitchen and Restaurant Teams respectively to ensure that we do not repeat this experience for other guests.

I do hope you will consider staying at Asara in the future and that you will allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

My contact details are below, I would appreciate it if you could contact me at your own convenience to discuss this matter further.

Warm regards
Melanie van Biljon
Email dm@asara.co.za
Tel 021 888 8000

Reviewed 5 May 2013

Hotel Asara is a picturesque hotel perfectly situated to explore Stellenbosch and the surrounding area but our two-night stay was ruined by the fact that personal items were stolen from our room. To make matters worse we have received appalling customer service since - as bad as I have experienced anywhere in the world.

When my girlfriend and I came to check out I realised that my electric razor, which was bought for around £200, was missing. I hoped that it had accidentally been swept up with used towels and called reception to ask if the cleaners had handed it in. They hadn't and the head of security came to our room to tell us he would be launching an investigation.

Five days later I emailed the hotel manager to ask for the result of the investigation and to enquire how they planned on compensating me for the missing razor. I received a reply from the security manager saying that the investigation was ongoing but that whatever the result, I would receive no compensation because I should have locked my razor in the safe in our room. This safe was about the size of a shoebox and I made the point that we couldn't possibly have fitted every item of value in it - not to mention the fact that I didn't consider locking a razor in a safe as normal practise!

Upon returning to Cape Town my girlfriend realised that her hair straighteners had also been taken during our stay and I emailed the hotel manager again to inform them. I received no reply.

A week ago (three weeks since we checked out of the hotel) I emailed the hotel manager again to find out how they planned on dealing with the fact that their staff are stealing personal items from guests and questioned whether they were taking the matter seriously. Again, I received no reply.

At no stage have I had any response, let alone an apology, from the hotel manager. The only person who has responded to me is the security manager, and that was to tell me the fault lay with me for not locking my razor in a safe.

I find it incredible that a 5-star hotel treats customers this way and doesn't take the issue of thieving staff seriously. If you are planning on staying at Asara I would strongly urge you to reconsider.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank JEH_1985
AsaraManagement, Manager at Asara Wine Estate & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear Mr Harman
Thank you for your comments.
As discussed in detail with you at the time of you reporting the incident, I set out the path which the entire investigation would be taking and would like to reiterate the following:
I understand that your stay in South Africa may have been marred by this incident, but I can assure you we take this very seriously and endeavor to resolve this issue by doing our own internal investigation.
In cases such as this one, we always investigate the matter thoroughly in order to ascertain whether there was any evidence of criminal acts or negligence on the part of the hotel or any of its staff members.
We at Asara pride ourselves in the level of guest security and comfort; our reputation is the best in the Stellenbosch for good reason, we care!
The following observations have been noted and made:
1. No unauthorised entry to the room was found.
2. A full key report of your room door lock has been drawn and nothing out of the ordinary has been recorded and/or found.
The following investigation has been completed:
1. Both associates, recorded on a lock reading report from your room door lock, who had entered your room have been questioned regarding the incident and they could not supply any positive leads or be connected to the incident.
2. They were both subjected to polygraph tests and no deception was found.
3. All associates are body searched on a daily basis including any handbags, rug sacs, tog bags etc. which they may bring to work as well as their vehicles and public transport picking up those without their own transport and nobody was found in possession of your property on that particular day or the evening prior to you reporting the matter.
I would like to give you my assurance that we have taken this incident very seriously and have exhausted all efforts in order to conclude this investigation on a positive note.
We at Asara take our guests safety seriously and work towards giving them that peace of mind at all times during their stay.
I would also like to clarify to the readers that I informed you that our insurance does not cover the loss of your items as all valuable items are to be kept inside the in-room safe which is available in all our rooms. In defense of any insurance company, I am sure it is fair to state that the reasonable man would classify any item valued at R4 500, 00 to be named a valuable item. This is not the ordinary run of the mill, R10, 00 throw away razor, but a sophisticated piece of machinery.
The General Manager has been kept in the loop regarding your issues and is sure that this will resolve everything.
Should you ever return to Stellenbosch we would like to invite you back to Asara to hopefully change your outlook of our hotel and services.
Once again my sincere apologies for your inconvenience.
Chris Bruyns
Head: Safety & Security

Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed here for 2 nights on a trip to SA and I am glad we picked here. I have stayed in a number of 5 star hotels all over the world and value for money wise the Asara is up there!

We stayed in Room 219 which is at the end of the block of rooms and has fantastic views over the wineyards and surrounding countryside, the rooms are spacious and comfortable with a level of luxury and a colonial style finish with doors which lead out on to a large balcony to relax on! The bathrooms are large and again to a high quality.

The hotel overall is very comfortable and of a high standard with options available for eating and drinking. We had drinks in the bar and enjoyed the sun going down then moved in to enjoy the log fire before moving to the restaurant.

The choice in the restaurant was good and was decent although not the best food I had in Stellenbosch or the surrounding area, the wine again was good and excellent value.

There is also a deli on site where you can enjoy an afternoon or morning snack and breakfast comes as part of the room and has a decent number of options from continental to fully cooked or eggs benedict for example.

The staff were warm and accommodating throughout from the moment we arrived and were greeted with a glass of wine to checkout and assistance with all of our luggage.

Next time I am back I will be sure to stay on Asara again! Thanks for a wonderful visit and I only wish it was longer

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Stayed here for one night over a weekend. Large and very comfortable room, with a lovely bathroom. The property and views are absolutely beautiful - made even better by the lovely sunshine we had. All the staff we dealt with were excellent. Asara is a high standard establishment, we highly recommend it and hope to return for a longer stay!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the dam have the best view
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2013

What an amazing Hotel! I was lucky enough to be treated to a night away at Asara for my birthday.
We stayed in the Vineyard Suite on the ground floor. It had a wrap around balcony and a separate lounge area.
When we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff and a glass of amazing white cab wine, my husband had the red. Amazing! The room had a king size bed and a cot was made up for our son. The bathroom was large and a big bath tub with a separate shower. Under floor heating, air con, kettle, coffees and teas. There is also free WIFI. (there is also an adjoining room great for a bigger family)
When we arrived in the room there was chocolates, fruit and wine. What a way to start my birthday weekend.
Dinner was 5 star! Delicious food, beautiful view and attentive staff. The chef also made a special order of chicken nuggets and mash for our son.
Breakfast was also wonderful, great variety hot and cold. AGAIN delicious.
We will def be coming back with our parents and nieces and nephews.

Room Tip: Vinyard Suite
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family