“Disappointment”

Asara Wine Estate & Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Stellenbosch
“Disappointment”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I went wine tasting today, and I was very disappointed with the service.
The lady just poured the wines and didn't tell us anything about them. When I asked her some questions, she didn't know any of the answers.
When I left the farm, I noticed that the security guard at the gate had a German Shepard in a tiny cage. Its been raining non stop for the last few days and the poor animal was lying on the wet ground.
I think that someone should do something about this dog or I will.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank yogatraveller23
AsaraManagement, Manager at Asara Wine Estate & Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thank you for highlighting your concerns from your experience at Asara Wines.

In regards to your experience in the Tasting Centre, I would very much appreciate it if you can contact us to give a description of the lady who served you.
At Asara we strive to maintain and excel in our standards and therefore it saddens me that you were given a sub-standard experience, as I personally get involved with the training of all our tasting centre staff which go through a very rigorous training regime. This matter will therefore be handled in a very serious manner and I will ensure that I personally go through all the details of the wines produced at Asara with our tasting centre staff again.

Concerning the German Shepard, Asara makes use of an outside security company and these are German Shepards that are trained to be security dogs, when they are in the cages it is a result of them having been on a patrol on various routes on the farm and the dogs are therefore resting. It is not often that they are in the cages, and they are working dogs.

I will look into this matter further as being an animal lover myself I would hate for the dogs to be mistreated in anyway. It has been confirmed that the dogs shelters are being upgraded shortly.

I thank you again for taking the time to express your concerns as we can only better ourselves by having responsible consumer and visitors that share their experiences of Asara with us, therefore giving us the chance to improve where we have fallen short.

I would like to personally invite you back to Asara so that we could have the chance to mend our mistakes; I sincerely hope that you will afford us this opportunity.

Kindest Regards
Sam Wiid
Tasting Room Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed 3 nights in delux room 105 - the same as last September. Lovely spacious room with terrace. Large bathroom and shower. Kingsize bed with exquisite linen sheets.
Sorry to read of recent problems but our stay was again near perfect - from the 'welcome back' to the 'hope to see you again' at the end.
We ate in the main restauant on 2 nights and in the Sansibar the other. All food excellent as well as at breakfast.
Our only disappointment was that for a 5 star hotel we could not understand why the in room TV's were only programmed to receive one sports channel. We left our views with the management but have not heard since.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ROKNottingham
Ningbo, China
Reviewed 21 May 2013

What a truly 5 star experience !
Yesterday evening I came back to the room, my slippers were standing next to my bed, the TV guide opened on the page of that day with the remote next to it.
Together with a little card informing me about tomorrow s weather.
All staff is very friendly, breakfast selection is fantastic ! You can choose to eat outside too with superb views of a pond and the mountains on the background.
Rooms are big in size and bathrooms and shower rooms too.
Actually there is nothing bad I can think of !
I would recommend everybody to stay here if you have the chance.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank john v
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2013

The views are lovely, no matter where you look. There are some great places to walk among the vineyards. Our room was beautiful, and staff was friendly and well intentioned. Service can be slow in this part of the world but they were pretty good. I was a little disappointed that the tapas and bistro place was closed (out of season) and the deli was closed by 5pm, but the bar food and the dining at Raphael's was great.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

When we arrived at Asara we were directed to park at reception and a valet drove our car to the parking for us. At reception we were told we had been given a free upgrade, a very friendly and informative concierge took our bags and showed us to our room, a short walk away, whilst telling us lots about Asara. Once we arrived in our room, the concierge showed us how to use everything. The room, bathroom, and balcony were very clean, a great size and very luxurious. Our mini bar was full (not sure what other guests are talking about), there are a range of channels and movies to watch. The view from our room was excellent of the vineyards and reservoir. The pool was a great temperature, the sun loungers were extremely stylish and comfy, and there was a waiter giving drinks service at the pool, which were just added to the room bill. We had a quick lunch on the balcony of the cigar lounge, an excellent dinner in the restaurant and a huge (all you can eat) inclusive breakfast in the morning. Only wish our stay was longer!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

Although the rooms are new and large, there seems to be no individuality as one would expect at a wine estate. The facilities are large and very commercialized. The little boutique shop was enjoyable with interesting little eateries for in-between. The restaurant was far from gourmet and one certainly gets the feeling that main dishes are already dished up and kept under the warmers long before they are ordered. My steak which was ordered medium rate arrived as a flat piece totally overcooked. My wife's veal was so tough you could hardly cut through it with a knife. Even at breakfast a simple scrambled egg order was delivered incorrectly.

Due to the restaurant, this became an unhappy experience.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
AsaraManagement, Manager at Asara Wine Estate & Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear Guest

I am really sorry to read of your negative experience on your recent visit. I would like to apologise on behalf of the Asara Team. I can assure you this is not our normal standard nor the standard we strive to deliver
I appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. We have taken your comments and feedback seriously and will work closely with the Kitchen and Restaurant Teams respectively to ensure that we do not repeat this experience for other guests.

I do hope you will consider staying at Asara in the future and that you will allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

My contact details are below, I would appreciate it if you could contact me at your own convenience to discuss this matter further.

Warm regards
Melanie van Biljon
Email dm@asara.co.za
Tel 021 888 8000
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Hotel Asara is a picturesque hotel perfectly situated to explore Stellenbosch and the surrounding area but our two-night stay was ruined by the fact that personal items were stolen from our room. To make matters worse we have received appalling customer service since - as bad as I have experienced anywhere in the world.

When my girlfriend and I came to check out I realised that my electric razor, which was bought for around £200, was missing. I hoped that it had accidentally been swept up with used towels and called reception to ask if the cleaners had handed it in. They hadn't and the head of security came to our room to tell us he would be launching an investigation.

Five days later I emailed the hotel manager to ask for the result of the investigation and to enquire how they planned on compensating me for the missing razor. I received a reply from the security manager saying that the investigation was ongoing but that whatever the result, I would receive no compensation because I should have locked my razor in the safe in our room. This safe was about the size of a shoebox and I made the point that we couldn't possibly have fitted every item of value in it - not to mention the fact that I didn't consider locking a razor in a safe as normal practise!

Upon returning to Cape Town my girlfriend realised that her hair straighteners had also been taken during our stay and I emailed the hotel manager again to inform them. I received no reply.

A week ago (three weeks since we checked out of the hotel) I emailed the hotel manager again to find out how they planned on dealing with the fact that their staff are stealing personal items from guests and questioned whether they were taking the matter seriously. Again, I received no reply.

At no stage have I had any response, let alone an apology, from the hotel manager. The only person who has responded to me is the security manager, and that was to tell me the fault lay with me for not locking my razor in a safe.

I find it incredible that a 5-star hotel treats customers this way and doesn't take the issue of thieving staff seriously. If you are planning on staying at Asara I would strongly urge you to reconsider.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank JEH_1985
AsaraManagement, Manager at Asara Wine Estate & Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Dear Mr Harman
Thank you for your comments.
As discussed in detail with you at the time of you reporting the incident, I set out the path which the entire investigation would be taking and would like to reiterate the following:
I understand that your stay in South Africa may have been marred by this incident, but I can assure you we take this very seriously and endeavor to resolve this issue by doing our own internal investigation.
In cases such as this one, we always investigate the matter thoroughly in order to ascertain whether there was any evidence of criminal acts or negligence on the part of the hotel or any of its staff members.
We at Asara pride ourselves in the level of guest security and comfort; our reputation is the best in the Stellenbosch for good reason, we care!
The following observations have been noted and made:
1. No unauthorised entry to the room was found.
2. A full key report of your room door lock has been drawn and nothing out of the ordinary has been recorded and/or found.
The following investigation has been completed:
1. Both associates, recorded on a lock reading report from your room door lock, who had entered your room have been questioned regarding the incident and they could not supply any positive leads or be connected to the incident.
2. They were both subjected to polygraph tests and no deception was found.
3. All associates are body searched on a daily basis including any handbags, rug sacs, tog bags etc. which they may bring to work as well as their vehicles and public transport picking up those without their own transport and nobody was found in possession of your property on that particular day or the evening prior to you reporting the matter.
I would like to give you my assurance that we have taken this incident very seriously and have exhausted all efforts in order to conclude this investigation on a positive note.
We at Asara take our guests safety seriously and work towards giving them that peace of mind at all times during their stay.
I would also like to clarify to the readers that I informed you that our insurance does not cover the loss of your items as all valuable items are to be kept inside the in-room safe which is available in all our rooms. In defense of any insurance company, I am sure it is fair to state that the reasonable man would classify any item valued at R4 500, 00 to be named a valuable item. This is not the ordinary run of the mill, R10, 00 throw away razor, but a sophisticated piece of machinery.
The General Manager has been kept in the loop regarding your issues and is sure that this will resolve everything.
Should you ever return to Stellenbosch we would like to invite you back to Asara to hopefully change your outlook of our hotel and services.
Once again my sincere apologies for your inconvenience.
Chris Bruyns