“Cold in more sense than one”

Banghoek Place Hostel
Reviewed 9 November 2012 via mobile

The rooms here felt like being in a concrete prison with only a moderate amount upper end furnishings. If you like cement floors and bathrooms that are small, and industrial in nature then this is for you. But if you want some comfort (and warmth) then this place is a cold box and I cannot recomend it. The staff is MIA and I was not impressed that I had to pay before seeing the room (if I hadn't I probably would have skipped). Location-wise it was a bit far from town, but walkable.

• Stayed: October 2012
There are newer reviews for Banghoek Place Hostel

Reviewed 27 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Banghoek place for two nights, felt very secure with private gated parking and all entrances on security code keypads so easy to get in and out. The hostel is a little way from the main town centre (around a 15 min walk from the main restaurants and bars) however is in the university area so felt safe with campus security always around. Can walk freely around at night in the town and felt safe. Ideal as a value for money base to explore the vineyards and stellenbosch area.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stayed here for only 1 night. The room was small and old, one of the beds was half-broken. But the linen was very clean. The common bathroom was OK. It's just an OK place to stay and I probably wouldn't go back there unless I had no other choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2012

The place looks really nice from the outside and also the common rooms are quite big abduction comfy, but our double was quite old with mildwew on the walls and the blankets had some stains, and the bathroom was very small and yuk . Maybe the dorms are better! But the staff at the reception was really nice and helpful!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I have stayed here a few times while visiting Stellenbosch and it really is a pleasure every time. My wife and I stayed in a double en-suite room, which is very basic, but meets all the requirements a budget traveller may have.

The room is very neat, tidy and clean. The bathroom was spotless.

The only slight criticism that I have is that the loo is quite low, which makes it difficult for taller travellers to use.

I will defintely stay there again.

Room Tip: Second floor is very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I stayed in this place for 2 days in a dorm with a friend.

I would rate this place as a boutique backpackers. The architecture of the house appealed very much to me and it matches the kind of style I prefer when it comes to interior design.

There is a phantastic garden with a swimming pool. The shared kitchen faces the garden and the swimming pool and you can eat outside.
The self-catering kitchen was clean and well equipped.

The staff at the reception was friendly and helped us to arrange our transfer to a particular vineyard.

The dorm was clean with a nice view on the garden and swimming pool. The shared bathroom was clean and bright.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Stayed here on our way out of Cape Town to explore the coast and on our way back to the airport as it was only about 20 minutes away. This was our first stay in a hostel in South Africa and we were suitably impressed particularly as we had spent the night in a hotel the night before which was twice as expensive and nowhere near as clean as the hostel. We stayed here in Sep/Oct 2011 and as we were out of season we dident need to book anywhere. Staff were extremely welcoming and friendly. Room was spartan but clean. We were looking for a good value place to lay our heads and this was it. Kitchen was clean and adequately equipped, there was a tv, swimming pool, hammocks, books, games and free internet.The complex was gated so there was secure parking and everthying felt very lovely and chilled out. Great value, would stay again although i imagine it gets a lot busier and noisier in the peak season!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple