“Scenic setting, super hospitality”

Lovane Boutique Wine Estate and Guest House
Ranked #12 of 112 Stellenbosch B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Scenic setting, super hospitality”
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I really liked my short stay at the Lovane Boutique Wine Estate. I only booked a night, but once I got there wanted to stay longer. However, they were fully booked the next few nights. I had the disabled room (although I am not disabled) which was a great value. It is large and roomy, very charming and comfortable, with a big shower and a nice verandah out front. The view on the verandah is of the vineyards in front and the low-rise mountains in the distance. The property itself is very nice, a bit rustic and unpretentious. The two girls working there were very nice and informative, and the breakfast is excellent. The free wi-fi works very well--I was able to use it to call internationally with my Skype and had a crystal clear connection.
The estate is slightly out of town, about a 10 minute drive, as others mention here, and so you have to drive back and forth to town for meals. Otherwise, the place works well in every way.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We had a standard room that looked out on to the vineyards at the back of the property. The room was excellent, big comfy bed excellent power shower and a safe to lock up your valuables should you need to. Complimentary toiletries and lovely towels!
Breakfast was great, either a cold buffet selection or you could choose a hot breakfast which was cooked very well.
We found the people that looked after us to be very friendly, professional and helpful. One of the best things you can do here is to take a wine tasting. This is complimentary if you are staying here and very interesting. They are truly passionate about their wines and as they are a boutique estate, everyone gets involved in the wine process. We found the wine here to be of very good quality and much nicer than some of the wines we tasted on larger wine estates in Stellenbosch. All in all a brilliant time was had and I would definitely go back again. Lovely people.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Anzing
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We had one of the Deluxe Rooms namend Champagne. It had an nice view on the vineyard. The room is very nice with a open roof truss and brick walls. The design was modern and beautiful. The bathroom was very spacious with a seperate bathtub and shower fitting for two persons. We really loved the room but the service has some potential for improvement. The staff was young and very friendly but did not seem very professional. We were not offered help with our suitcases also there was a steep outside staircase leading to our room. Breakfast was nice but some little details were lacking: Nobody asked us for some more coffee, we had to ask for glases for the juice. It also took some time until the used plates were removed and being on a vine estate we would have liked to get more information about lovane.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Klaus E
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I booked this based on other reviews and it was a BIG mistake. We were planning on going as a last minute getaway combining some business meetings with my partner's birthday. Not even two days after making the reservation, one of our family member's went into hospital for heart problems and we had to cancel our reso so as to help out around home. I emailed Lovane explaining the situation and had a quick generic, no money back, that's it, tough luck response. I then phoned and cordially asked to speak to the manager, after which I was blatantly lied to by a guy claiming to be the manager (however he then had to confirm something with HIS manager and call me back!? Secondly, why the actual manager couldn't be bothered to call a concerned customer back I'm not sure..? Great guest service on their part!

We literally had to pull teeth and nails out to get any money back at all, which given the fact we'd spent the weekend in the hospital, was absurd. Apparently refunds are only offered when reservations are canceled a month prior to the stay date. Although it did mention this on the website, it was unclear and ambiguous...case in point, the "manager" seemed to be rather flustered and completely useless when I asked him how that applies when the reservation wasn't made over a month beforehand. Furthermore, as they tried to charge me the full price I'm not even clear as to what a 'deposit' actually even means. Needless to say, the conversation continued on and on with literally no flexibility to guest needs, total insensitivity and completely taking advantage of the guests.

It seems some people have had some good experiences, and although there had been a couple rough reviews, I thought I would give Lovane a try despite the negative press. BAD decision! Maybe you will have a great stay and a wonderful vacation, but on the other hand, maybe you'll have a taste of the appalling treatment of guests that we did... If it was up to me, I wouldn't risk it. There are so many beautiful places in Stellenbosch, find somewhere where you are guaranteed the experience you put the money down for and the service to match it.

Room Tip: Find somewhere where the hotel actually wants you
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank A H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Lovane was a fantastic place to stay and use as a base to explore the winelands. We stayed in both the suite and one of the vineyard facing rooms, both were excellent, however the suite was truly luxurious. The view from both rooms over the vineyard was lovely and could be enjoyed from the deck. The rooms were modern, tastefully decorated and exceptionally clean.

The breakfasts were good and were served up in a delightful room.

In terms of value for money, this was one of the best places that we stayed in during our trip. All in all, a great place and we are already planning our next trip back.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We had a room overlooking the road rather than the vineyard at the back and I'm glad we picked this as you get a view of the mountains which looked glorious as the sun was setting. We weren't at all bothered by the noise from the road. The towels were lovely and fluffy and they supply you with some gorgeous smelling toiletries. There is a good selection of food at breakfast and they do delicious omelettes. I wouldn't hesiste in returning there in the future should we go back to South Africa. We drove there straight from the airport which took no longer than 30 minutes and it was very easy to find. It was a short drive into Stellenbosch and in the afternoon we walked along the road to visit the Neethlingshof Estate next door.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Tucson,AZ
Reviewed 10 April 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights and was very happy with it. The room was a good size and nicely decorated, with a fantastic shower. The staff were great, the breakfasts were great, and it is exactly what you imagine a stay at a vineyard would be like.

My only recommendation is that you pay the extra money for a vineyard view facing the rear of the building. The other side has nice views of the mountains in the distance but it also faces the parking lot and busy highway, which takes away from the experience in my opinion.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo