“So disappointing”

Ranked #121 of 274 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I'd been wanting to visit this beautiful wine estate for sometime, so what better time than for a birthday celebration. The setting is as lovely as I had expected, but unfortunately everything thereafter was very disappointing. The food was extremely average. I had the wild mushroom risotto as a starter - pleasant enough, but was basically a risotto bianco with a few brown mushrooms thrown in (not a wild mushroom to be seen). 3 of our party had the slow roasted pork belly. Indeed the fat was lovelyand crispy, but the meat was dry and not the moist tender dish we were expecting (it appeared to be a normal roast dish). The desserts were however, very good indeed - both the raspberry souffle and the combination of desserts are worth having. Probably the most disappointing part was that even though I mentioned the above to the Maitre d, the staff didnt actually seem to care. What a shame.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

The restaurant is elegantly decorated with a relaxing atmosphere. Loved the view that can also be seen from the inside and not only the balcony.
The best Pork Belly we have eaten, with a crisp crust and a mouth melting inside. Also had the Combination of desserts, would recommend that as you get a bite of everything, the creme brulee and chocolate brownie being the best.
The Asara deli have these little bites that are simply heavenly.
Will go back for sure to have the Pork Belly.
Service was excellent. The food is not cheap but it is every bit worthy of the price being charged.
Great for a special event. You must make a booking, besides that it is a small restaurant but you never feel crowded and can linger the entire afternoon or evening. Truly Excellent food!

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Great food, lovely atmosphere and good service! The wines were nice, especially the Shiraz! There was really bad weather but the fire and the food change our mood!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Went to Raphael's again after having a good meal there a year ago. It was not very good. The waiter was very attentive but that's where it ends. We were not even asked how the food was!
My wife had Monkfish which was wrapped in bacon. The bacon flavour trumped the fish flavour. My wife does not like fat and took the bacon off as it was steaky bacon.
I enjoy liver. The dish I was served had the liver the onions and the mash. There was very little flavour.
After our meal we went to the cigar bar, Sansibar, where the service was great.
Would not suggest it.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

My wife took me for my bday. The service, food and management was atrocious. Didnt see any 5stars around.

Dont know how they can justify these prices.