“Wonderful people and setting”

Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Coopmanjuijs is a wonderful place to stay. The rooms were comfortable--bed was amazing. But what really stands out for me are the people. Everyone was helpful, gracious, and excited to be at the hotel. They made you feel welcome and were completely helpful when you had a question. I plan to be in Stellenbosch a few times a year for business and will make Coopmanhuijs my first place to book.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 August 2011

Stayed here for a couple of nights on my recent SA trip and was overall pleased with my stay. Very reasonably priced for a 5 star property I found no doorman or parking assistant upon arrival to help out, although the street was more than busy and parking nearly impossible. Check in rather smooth and friendly, although I had to come in with my luggage to be helped.

Facilities and room were very nice, bed all comfortable, nice balcony and a beautiful and large bathroom with floor heating. Very clean, very nice. Wlan at no additional cost, easy and good dinner arrangements, excellent breakfast (in terms of quality and choice).

Only drawback is that I just don't consider this place to be worth of 5 stars. Front desk staff varies from icy (grumpy and not willing to help) to absolutely magnificent (all professional and friendly), breakfast service was unreliable (one out of two days I was not offered hot breakfast, though obviously part of the deal) and when leaving the place I found minor items (hygiene articles I bought earlier) to be removed from my car.

Finally I can recommend this place apart from minor problems I encountered.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank mrsmith0179
Home2wn, General Manager at Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2011

Dear Mr S.0179

Thank you for choosing and staying at Coopmanhuijs, albeit not a completely satisfying visit.

May I offer my sincere apologies for the minor problems you experienced during your stay.

Parking in Stellenbosch, especially in the centre of town, is a huge problem. In fact, I had a meeting with the Mayor just yesterday where we discussed this issue in detail. We always have a parking assistant on duty at the hotel. Unfortunately though, he could have been busy exactly upon the hour of your arrival. Had we known that you were outside, we definitely would have sent immediate help re. valet parking as well as luggage carrying.

I am truly taken aback by your comment that some of the Front Office staff were 'icy, grumpy & not willing to help'. We are regarded as one of the most hospitable hotels in the Stellenbosch- and wider regions. If you would be so kind to send me more information, i.e staff-on-duty, etc., I will be able to address this problem immediately and with greater efficiency (and effect). My sincere apologies. I had no idea.

We are in the process of appointing highly-qualified staff from a local Hotel School in order to upgrade our breakfast service.

Regarding the 'minor hygiene articles' being removed from your car: kindly let me know who the responsible party was who either parked or fetched your car, and again, I will be able to issue the normal disciplinary actions, as well as send replacements, should you wish to forward your address in Frankfurt.

We at Coopmanhuijs are committed to ensure that every single guest is welcomed with warmth and sincere hospitality. My staff is truly dedicated to help and assist guests wherever and whenever they can. My sincerest apologies if your experience at Coopmanhuijs did not reflect these commitments.

Kindly let me know when (or if...) you will be traveling to South Africa again, and it will be our pleasure to offer you a one-night complimentary stay,

Regards
Ilzebet O.
Manager
Ps. feel free to address any further comments to my personal mailbox at gm@coopmanhuijs.co.za

Reviewed 15 August 2011

If you are looking for a comfortable, friendly and tasteful small hotel in a superb town location, then look no further! The wonderful staff greet you as long lost friends rather than as hotel clients, yet they never intrude and offer generous and sound advice. We felt at home from day 1 for our week long visit that combined business with some outings. Our room was immaculately clean and tastefully decorated with comfortable beds and a large modern shower room. Breakfast was of a high standard and as big as you wanted it to be. Stellenbosch is a charming small town which appears clean and safe. Everything in the town can including restaurants, shops and the university conference facilities can be easily reached on foot but you will need a car if you want to venture further. There are two major car hire establishments within 100yards of the hotel. ****** Go on - treat yourself!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter_UK_123
Reviewed 12 August 2011

As a group of friends looking for somewhere to unwind at the end of our holiday we found the perfect place in Coopmanhuijs!
It is centrally located with plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance, some of us enjoyed the spa facilities and we even tried the pool even though it was winter and not really warm enough!
The staff were very friendly and accommodating, especially our waiter at breakfast. There is free internet and also secure parking. The rooms were lovely, big beds, large shower, underfloor heating.
Definitely a place we would return to.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2011

From the moment we arrived the staff just wanted us to relax even the registration paperwork was in our room to complete at our leisure. Absolutely central just moments from shops, bars, restaurants and sights. Our car was parked for us and the breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: Room 10 was very quiet
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Home2wn, Marketing Assistant at Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Good Day ,

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel.Our aim is to give every guest a memorable experience,we are happy to hear that you indeed had just that. We look forward in welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 June 2011

What a lovely atmosphere - I spent my birthday weekend there and it was the best ever. The staff were wonderful, friendly and really warm and helpful. The food was outstanding and I have not eaten anything better.
I will be back - hopefully in Summer to swim in the lovely pool....
However Winter is a lovely time there as well - the warm and inviting lounge with the fire was the best.
Thank you all.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Home2wn, Marketing Assistant at Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

Reviewed 24 May 2011

Coopmanhuijs was just what I had been looking for - central Stellenbosch, lovely rooms with all those extra touches, friendly, helpful staff, a spa for relaxing treatments and much more. It would have been good value anyway but with a Winter deal, it was even better.
I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel. Nothing is too much trouble as well as the facilities being great. So pleased I found it. Thanks so much for a great weekend away with the girls.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Didee38
Home2wn, Marketing Assistant at Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2011

We look forward in welcoming you back in the near future.