“average experience in tiny rooms”

Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I'm not sure why this place had such great reviews. We stayed here for 2 nights during our honeymoon in May. The location is supurb and I do appreciate the property's beauty and history but...

rooms - uhm... my husband and I are not large people... We booked one of the larger rooms (I think most rooms are "larger" and they have 2 smaller rooms) but we didn't even really have space to open our suitcase. It was so clausterphobic in there that we tried to only go back to the room to sleep. The common areas of the hotel also feel very tight with very narrow hallways. It was quite a relief when we moved to the asara hotel for the next leg of our trip..

service - I found this quite average. People were polite but I did not feel they were nearly as friendly as the other hotels we stayed in in S.Africa. In fact I don't remember engaging in any conversation with the staff here at all!

breakfast - not terrible but was by far the worst of the 4 hotels I stayed at on this trip. The cold food was ok. there was a good selection of fruits, breads/pastires, cerials, cheese and coldcuts. For the hot breakfast my husband and I both ordered omlettes which were overly salty, dry, and just not worth eating when there's so much good food elsewhere in stellenbosch. For the second day we didn't even bother with the hot food and suck to the cold options.

spa - given this hotel is "coopmanhuijs boutique hotel and spa" I assumed they would have proper spa facilities. When I tried to book a couple's spa, I was told they only have one masseuse and that we could either take turns getting a massage or they could hire an external masseuse to come to the property. We gave this a miss and went to a proper spa.

2  Thank yamachika
There are newer reviews for Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 24 May 2013

I have just returned home after 6 days at this hotel........long enough to get a real impression!
Its true the rooms are a little on the small side but the bathrooms are spacious. Nice and quiet (room 16). You can step outside the hotel and you are in the best part of Stellenbosch, loads to see (great little shops, cafe's and restaurants). Eat at the restaurant, eat Nadia's cakes (world class) and relax after dinner in the lounge by the fire. So laid back and relaxing on the surface but underneath its running on rails. The team at this hotel really do have it right! Special thanks to Wonder who really made the stay a delight (my name is Stevie, you can imagine the fun we had with that!). Look no further, stay here.....you will not be disappointed :-)

Room Tip: Room 16 was great but go for one with a balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank smw2440
Reviewed 22 May 2013

This hotel is hard to fault.

Warm, friendly welcome. Charming, helpful staff. Great food and atmosphere.

The room was small, but cosy and complete. Great to see that wi-fi is included too.

The hotel is located in a quiet street near the centre of Stellenbosch within easy walking of lots of restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Lovely little hotel in the centre of town. Surrounded by outdoor cafes/restaurants, gift stores, galleries very up market. Beautiful town with lovely oak lined narrow one way streets, and yes parking meters. But the hotel does have secure underground parking. The only thing being you have to double park in front of the hotel in the narrow street because you cannot get a parking spot, run into the hotel get someone to go and park your car. You cannot do it yourself, it is a real pain. The same when you want to get your car.The girls at reception are so helpful and friendly. Joanne is exceptional what a gem she goes out of her way to make you feel welcome and comfortable. Also Jana she was in early and usually took us to our car in the garage because the parking attendant wasn't in yet. (We play golf and had some early tee times). These 2 girls just stood out but everyone else also so friendly everyone has a smile.
For some reason we seem to get all the upstairs rooms, this was no exception. Thank goodness they have a lift, a very, very slow one at that, but if you have bags it is necessary. The corridors and stair cases are narrow, but the wall are decorated with lovely prints and mirrors.
The room is small and took a bit of time to decide where to place our 2 large suitcases so they would be out of the way. There is a wardrobe which has a safe, small fridge well stocked with drinks alcoholic and non and a little hanging space. A door leads onto a small balcony overlooking the pool where you can have smoke if you need to. The bed is exceptionally comfy but the quilt had a few noticeable stains on it, being white it could of easily been bleached to remove the satins. The room also has ac, hair dryer, basic toiletries and many large bath towels.
The bathroom is quite roomy with under floor heating, a bath, separate shower, bidet, toilet and 2 individual hand basins. The shower is one of those which hangs over the middle of the shower with a wonderful strong spray. It's like being under a waterfall. The hair dryer is in the bedroom attached to the side of a small writing desk.
Breakfast was included. A long table in the centre of the dining area has yogurts, fruit, meats, pastries, croissants, cheese and breads. The main hot food is ordered from the menu. Very good selection such as French toast, poached eggs with salmon and hollandaise served on a muffin, omelettes and bacon eggs to name a few. Recommended.
The hotel has excellent free wifi in rooms no connection problems or drop out. You get a code that lasts for 3 days then you can get another if your stay is any longer.
The hotel also has a bar, where I noticed you can also get a cappuccino.
Didn't use the pool or the spa facilities so cannot make any comment.
Overall a pleasant stay and the service fantastic. Just couldn't make my review excellent because of the 'crampy' feel of the room.

Reviewed 11 May 2013

At Coopmanhuijs we arrived after a 11 hours flight and it was the warmest welcome one can imagine: a glass of wine and a plate with different cheeses, some fruit and ham. Just to make us feel at home and not to let us go and sleep on an empty stomach. The service in general made us feel special. The sommelier has an excellent choice of wines. The chef the cuisine has creative and tasteful recepies, which result in wonderful dishes. Our room was situated at the back of the hotel, overviewing the pool. The hotel is situated in a cosy part of Stellenbosch center. We did not use the spa facilities.The combination of this all makes Coopmanhuijs a wonderful place to stay.

1  Thank CNH_65
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Our one night stay was too short. However we were warmly welcome from Wonder and his colleages.
Elizabeth was very kind and flexible and offered us a late check out as our plane was late at night. This small city is safe and offer you a great variety of Restaurant, Wine bars and nice shopping for African Souvenirs.
Thierry and Family
Zurich

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Third time in Stellenbosch, first time at Coopmanhuijs, and I will return. We had rooms at the front of the hotel and I don't remember being given the choice to upgrade to a room around the pool, which does not mean it did not happen. However, when I return I will require a room at the back to be more quiet. It did not bother me that much as it gets pretty quiet around 11 at night, but it would make our stay more enjoyable.

The service is impeccable from everyone, cooked breakfast is delicious, rooms have a lot of character but the bathrooms are very modern. Nice living room with a fire going in the evening, as it was getting chilly at night outside. We did not use the restaurant but we will next time. The location is central, we walked everywhere.

I wondered though, why if I did not put my turndown chocolates away in a drawer, they disappeared the next day, Same for the piece of fudge that we received on arrival, I left it on my night table to be savoured later, but it disappeared the next day. To be honest, nothing else disappeared but still it's bizarre.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends