“Excellent base in Stellenbosch”

Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent base in Stellenbosch”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights last week and had a fantastic stay. We had a very friendly welcome and were shown to our room, a lovely, fresh feeling and well decorated room at the back of the property with a balcony overlooking the pool. We appreciated the turn down service in the evenings.

The hotel is in the heart of Stellenbosch and an ideal base for exploring on foot. The car was valet parked and was brought to you promptly whenever you needed it.

We had dinner at the hotel one night which was very nice, its nice to sit on the street terrace. The breakfast is also very good and its a great touch to follow the buffet option up with freshly cooked warm options.

We really enjoyed our stay and will recommend to anyone we know that visits Stellenbosch.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ma-Afrika, Manager at Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Gillian_George,

Thank you for the positive feedback.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa.

Would you be so kind as to post a review on our Helena’s Restaurant page as well?
You can simply follow http://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Restaurant_Review-g312673-d3840594-Reviews-Helena_s_Restaurant-Stellenbosch_Western_Cape.html to do so.

Ilzebet Oosthuizen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Turkish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel from the 7th to the 12th March. We were in the Stellenbosch area for a family wedding. This was a trip of a life time and we spent approximately 75,000 ZA on this trip. As my parents were travelling with us and my mum is slightly disabled I put a lot of research into the hotels we were to stay in.
We initially stayed at the place on the bay hotel in camps bay for 5 nights and had an amazing time. So I was really looking forward to staying in Stellenbosch as I had been in touch with the hotel by phone and email on several occasions prior to booking.
I had booked a classic courtyard room as 'ALL' classic courtyard rooms have a balcony. I knew this would be extremely important as with our 9 month old taking regular naps it would be ideal to sit outside while she was sleeping and also if the room was being cleaned. I also advised on an email how important it was that we got the balcony. I received email confirmation of my booking which stated our room had a balcony. My parents booked the same type of room as a balcony is invaluable for my mam as she cannot get out and around without a scooter/wheelchair and she loves nothing better than sitting outside doing her Sudoku.
Prior to our departure I had been in touch with the assistant manager Joann Wess in relation to organising a mobility scooter for my mother. She told me no problem at all, they would organise this. I came back to her closer to our departure date to say we were having trouble sourcing a scooter for camps bay and could she help us with that. She said it would be no problem as she was just waiting on price from her source. She came back to me on the Monday before we departed on the following Saturday to say no mobility scooter could be got AT ALL and that we would have to buy one???? No apology, no offer to try elsewhere or to give me some people I could try contact, basically got the impression at this point that she was washing her hands of it and tough luck.
When we arrived we were given room 14 (my Parents) and room 17 (us). Room 17 has no balcony and over looks the bins at the back of the hotel. To access this room you must climb extremely steep flight of stairs. So with a 9 month old we were climbing what I would call 'dangerous' stairs and then when she would need to sleep one or both of us would have to stay in the room in the dark for 1.5 - 2 hours 2/3 times a day, while listening to staff outside emptying bottle bins or having a good chin wag. I phoned the reception to complain and was told they would look into it. By the following morning I had still heard nothing so I went to Joanne Wess to ask what had happened and that I wasn't happy, she gave me some crap excuse that they did try to accommodate me and that room 17 was still a classic courtyard. NO IT IS NOT, as your website says ALL classic courtyard rooms have a balcony. Again she wasnt willing to do anything for me and as I was there on a family wedding I decided to let it go, but by the end of our trip I couldn't wait to get out of there. My parents room was also very small and they had no balcony either. I found Joanne to be extremely insincere, yes she would help you and go through the motions but she really didn't care in my book.
Had she been unable to give us a balcony room she should have notified me and I would have booked the apartment at the hotel next door oude on werf, but nobody contacted me and they still charged the same price as a classic courtyard. I don't care what excuses they give We didn't get what we paid for and on the trip of a lifetime it ruined it for us.
The rest of the staff were extremely helpful and made up for the room being such a disaster for us.
This hotel also advertises itself as being wheelchair friendly - IT IS NOT. there are steps up to the front door?? But in saying that Stellenbosch in itself is not wheelchair friendly, as there may be a ramp off one path but no corresponding ramp to get onto the path on the opposite side of the road. My poor mother put up some miles on her scooter just trying to get to a café down the road.
All I can say is if you really want a room with a balcony get it confirmed not only by email but by phone as well, and even at that they may not be ale to 'accommodate' you.
The good points
excellent breakfast
Great at booking golf and restaurants
Central location
But we certainly will not be back.

Room Tip: All service at this hotel was fantastic from all of the staff but if you have a problem, management...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank SusieQ1978
Ma-Afrika, Manager at Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear SusieQ1978,

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review. We value all of our guest’s comments highly as it is important for improving our services and product.

We do apologize profusely once again that your experience at Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa did not exceed your expectations.

We will correspond directly with you in regards to you specific complaints and requests.

We hope you will grant us the opportunity to change your experience in the future by returning to our hotel.

Staunton, Virginia
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Likely the most attentive service I have EVER experienced - from our late night check-in that included car parking and a great glass of wine until the time we checked out I cannot imagine better, more attentive service by the staff. Add in a great room,, a first rate complimentary breakfast and a super location, there is simply nothing not-to-like about the Coopmanhuijs. Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 8 and really liked that room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear light42,

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The hotel is very well situated, with an excellent in house restaurant. The service is good & staff very friendly & accommodating. The rooms are a tad small but the balcony adds to the comfort. Nice modern bathroom & very comfortable bed. Bit expensive for South Africans but loved my experience.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Shireen B,

Paterswolde, The Netherlands
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Extremely nice hotel in the middle of Stellenbosch. Old building, very nicely decorated and remodeled. Luxurious rooms, excellent service, very good breakfast and extremely nice and helpful personnel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jmvdhulst
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I spent a few days in Stellenbosch with some girlfriends and we stayed at the Coopmanhuijs; we are really glad we did! It's well worth the money. It is quaint, charming, the rooms are very well appointed and the hotel is immaculately clean. Breakfast is delicious and you can't beat the location. We would definitely stay again!

NOTE: It's really nice to have the pool, but it is small and there are only (if memory serves me) 6 lounge chairs. If you don't get one, you are outta luck. A few of the guests there during our stay were "campers" unfortunately.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Philadelphia
Reviewed 18 February 2014

A wonderful little boutique hotel located in the center of Stellenbosh within walking distance to shops and restaurants. The hotel, while small, has a French feel to it, and it you did not know it, you could be in Paris. Rooms and public spaces are indeed small, however. If that doesn't bother you, this is a cozy spot to spend your time in Stellenbosh. We only ate breakfast which was good. Staff were excellent and always ready to meet your needs.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends