“Loved the experience”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$27.46*
and up
Vine Hopper: Hop-On Hop-Off Wine Tour - Southern...
Ranked #18 of 150 things to do in Stellenbosch
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the atmosphere and stature of the Van Ryn's Brandy Distillery where the tour of the distillery includes a demonstration of the art of coopering, a whiff of the Angle's share in the maturation cellar, followed by the guest's choice of vintage brandy tastings. The choice of tastings include an option of a brandy, coffee and chocolate tasting or a brandy and florentine tasting. The distillery is also a popular venue for private functions and conferences.
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Brandy tasting was never on my to do list but as the opportunity was there we went for it and it was a great decision!! The welcoming cocktail was perfect and gave me a new combi should I be having brandy.

We did a tour of the distillery and included in it was a demonstration on how to make a barrel which I enjoyed very much. After that we went on to taste the brandy and we opted for the brandy and chocolate pairing so we tasted 12,15 and 20 year old brandy each paired with an appropriate chocolate. It was very interesting to note the difference aging has on the color, smell and smoothness of brandy.

I must say the servings for tasting are quite generous - almost a shot for each type - and I did ask to mix mine with some coke which they said they do not allow for tastings. Needless to say I did not finish my portion.

The ambiance is very well suited for brandy tasting and to chill for a while.

If doing the wine tasting on same day rather do brandy tasting in moderation.

1  Thank Loise G
in 21 reviews
"cooper"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We came here to taste some of their excellent brandy. The distillery tour was great, where they showed us amongst other things how they made their wine vats. But the tasting was the highlight. We sat in a great room on some leather chairs and felt like kings while they presented us with their 10, 12, 15 and 20 year old brandies to taste.

If you’re visiting the region, add this tour to your itinerary.

1  Thank Henri614
Reviewed 3 April 2014

From the environs, to the smell, to the brandy; Van Ryn’s is a sensory delight. Everyone else on our wine tour decided to skip this destination and, boy, did they miss out! Indulge in the brandy, coffee & chocolate combo – it’s bliss; especially when taken in the deep armchairs and woody surrounds (Downton Abbey anyone?). Beware though(!), it packs a punch. The tour is engaging and informative and my highlight: the barrel making demonstration; done the old-fashioned way. Exactly how this visit made me feel – very old-worldly and sophisticated.

3  Thank SoozSolo
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I've been to Van Ryns a few times now and each time I am blown away by the setting, as you walk in you are transported back to the days when cognac was sipped in the cigar filled gentlemen's clubs of South Africa.

In my head I see Cecil john Rhodes bent over a map of the diamond fields drinking a glass of Van Ryn's brandy. It's a beautiful distillery and really appeals to the senses.

But the real reason for going is the brandy, and it is delicious! I would suggest taking the chocolate tasting as it pairs nicely with the brandy and really takes the tasting it a whole new level.

The distillery has won numerous awards over the years and a sip of their 15 year old brandy will convince you that they deserve everyone.

1  Thank MattJohn5