“Improving”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Having been here a few times before we were pleased to see some different 'specials' coming out of the kitchen making our choices more varied. What I found strange is serving hake as a line fish of the day. I would have expected a better option. Food presentation is good though the wine list has not changed and the restaurant sells only the estate's wines which are somewhat limited in choice. The restaurant is set in a lovely relaxed setting.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

This is the place where a man can go for a proper lunch. None of your light lunch nonsense here. The spring rolls which my wife and I shared were really excellent. I had the Greek lamb, which was delicious, and there were lots of meat dish choices, oxtail, kudu, etc., so it was difficult choose. The point being, you can eat properly here at lunch time, the menu is comprehensive, very good.

On the other hand, while the meat and fish offering was excellent, my wife's vegetarian curry was given a big thumbs down, soggy popadoms, no chutney, masses of aubergine, not enough rice, generally not well balanced. So, I was happy and my wife wasn't.

As for the place, well, the location is a stunner with beautiful views. The service was very good too. We went on a mid week lunch time and the ambience and pace of service was good. It looks a very child friendly place so I imagine Saturdays and Sundays can be frantic. If you are taking your own grand children then it's ok, if you are in close proximity to other people's, it might not be!

Will we return? To be honest, the debate may well be long and heated!

1  Thank kingtutt
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Third time back for me and although the menu remains very much the same as before the quality of food and service has not been compromised.
Extremely good wines from Dombela and very well priced.
Ask for a table under the oaks and enjoy the very best of the winelands.
We were a party of 16 in all and were well looked after throughout the afternoon.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Beautifull setting, BUT the food was dissappointing and the service poor. We will certainly not return,
The Malan family

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Food was excellent and great staff, very friendly.
Nice views and you can also have a walk in the sourrundongs before or after lunch