“OUTSTAYED THEIR WELCOME ...”

Decameron Restaurant
Ranked #61 of 262 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I've eaten at Decameron many times and never had an issue with food there. But some of the waitresses, have certainly outstayed their welcome: abrupt and unfriendly.

There are newer reviews for Decameron Restaurant

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Half an hour after placing my order I was told that the kitchen had lost it and I had to start again. The few waiters that were there couldn't cope with the restaurant that was about 70% full. Apparently it was because it was early in the year and student waiters had not yet been recruited. However, when the food did eventually arrive it was good quality.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

We found ourselves returning many times to this wonderful family run restaurant to enjoy and work through the extensive menu. We are very picky about timing for food and they always managed our expectations well as sometimes the demand for the pizza oven can create delays at peak times.

The pizzas are very special, but pick times when they are not so busy

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Fortunately Stellenbosch is arguably one of the most beautiful places you could visit so there is an element of being swept up in this amazing town on a hot summers evening. The venue is ok and if you want a street side meal I would recommend somewhere more in the center of town. We were a party of about 12 and the food arrived all at different times and some with and without their respective side dishes. I opted for the Calamari which was tasteless and could only be described as a starter portion priced as and expensive main and salvaged only by a peri peri sauce. My wife had the salmon which did not appear to be fresh and again the portions were very small. Our friends enjoyed the steaks but again for the money I would say you can do better. Fish portions on other plates just looked very undersized and not very appetizing. So value for money…NO…service not great. The evening was salvaged by the good company and probably the best red wine I have ever had, Optima 2010 other than that there are better options in this beautiful town.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

This place was recommended to us by staff at our guest house and so we arrived with a reasonable expectation. This however was shattered by the terrible service after being seated we waited 20 minutes for staff to eventually speak to us and give us a menu. a further 10 minutes later I then went to the bar myself to get us a bottle of wine. A further 10 minutes later we placed our order for food - no apology for the wait or the fact I'd had to get my own drink from the bar. After a further 40 minutes and having consumed most of the wine with my wife starting to feel queasy we decided to leave. I approached the manager and explained we were leaving to be met with a shrug of the shoulders. I honestly could NOT believe it - I would've expected a better response from our local McDonalds. Unless you like a very very very long wait - DO NOT GO HERE!!

2  Thank harb024