“Italy in the winelands!!”
Review of La Masseria - CLOSED

La Masseria
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cape Town Central, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Italy in the winelands!!”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I have finally found a restaurant that serves traditional Italian food cooked to perfection. The atmosphere is so cosy that you in fact do not want to leave. The staff were very friendly and service was the best I've experienced in the Stellenbosch area.

A must have is the Spaghetti Bolognese. Italy on a plate!! My husband had the Vitello Saltimbocca which he is still raving about (it's been 2 days). My friend had the trio of pasta which according to her was heavenly. Her husband had the Porchetta pizza...best Italian sausage hes ever tasted. The wine list is reasonable and one can see they support the local industry.

A memorable experience. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Life is truly beautiful at La Masseria!!

• Visited May 2014

“Best time ever.”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Really enjoyed the list beautiful little restaurant. I am so happy that I discovered it, quite by accident. Was made to feel like family by the staff and the food was really delicious. Thanks guys. Keep up the fantastic work.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank misscatuys
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Faulty towers in Stellenbosch”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Service poor, food ok but not anything more than ordinary, waiting time long, ambience poor. Your order will most probably be messed up with one or more people not getting their food. First time in life where I had a meal at an Italian restaurant where the pasta was completely overcooked... as in completely

BUT

Do not complaint... because a real dose of Faulty Towers behaviour will come your way.

What I do not get is that this is a family owner little enterprise. Why don't they become serious about their little place? Unfortunately with so many places in Stellenbosch La Masseria does not really have a value proposition that ought to attract customers.

• Visited April 2014
“Loved the atmosphere... food&service disappointing”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

2-3 Weeks ago my fiance and I visited this restaurant. Been driving past for years and seeing that we looooove Italian food we decided to go there for our anniversary.
Beautiful views and loved the atmosphere. Being in the restaurant industry myself, I noticed a few things... Glasses given to us was not the same size- seemed like red and white wine glasses, cutlery not as clean just to name a few. Then we noticed there's only a few meat/poultry options in the pasta section. We ordered:
Bolognese and Half moon shaped pasta filled with creamy spinach and ricotta

The halfmoon pasta tasted a bit bland and the pasta was not al dente but rather soft and almost slimy. Tasted as if it was cooked from frozen as center(spinach+ricotta) was colder than rest of dish.
The Bolognese( not even garnished and colour was light brown rather than usual red from tomato) tasted 'weird' and my fiance soon discovered the ingredient which he recognized... Bully beef. I think any person that tasted Bully beef before would be able to identify this by its strong/pungent taste and jelly texture.
We did not finish all our food as the idea of having bully beef in a pasta(described on menu as: Fresh Tagliatelle, served with our traditional slow‐cooked pork, beef and tomato ragu’)
I don't even eat Bully beef at home, but pay to eat it at 'Authentic' Italian restaurant. We waited almost half an hour before they cleared the plates and brought the card machine.

When we were busy paying, my fiance asked the waiter what meat they use and she said sorry I would like to do the payment first as I cannot multitask- Strange... don't you attend to customer first? It was as if she was trying to find words... And then she said that 100% beef and Pork and secret is the recipe and spices. Unfortunately(to think of it now) we decided to leave it there, seeing that she was a bit nervous and was stuttering trying to explain.

What a disappointing evening- will not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Kosenwyn
Oudtshoorn, South Africa
“Family”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I enjoyed my supper here, although I had to remind the staff about a key ingredient missing from my dish.Beautiful venue for family supper with lots a space and casual atmosphere. Place for kids to play withou distubing other guests. I did miss the singing this time though...

• Visited February 2014