“Interesting but not somewhere we would go back”
Review of Makaron

Makaron
Ranked #35 of 250 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Price range: US$6 - US$56
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Airy and light, the restaurant overlooks lush gardens and leads onto a sheltered terrace for alfresco dining. It is in this stimulating setting that resident chef Lucas Carstens presents his menu of fresh, modern cuisine grounded in the French classics. Lucas has enormous respect for the quality and provenance of each ingredient that comes into his kitchen and takes pride in working with ethical producers and suppliers who share his philosophy of excellence. Complementing Makaron Restaurant is M Bar, an inviting lounge-style bar with the decadent ambience of a Parisian salon.
Bath
“Interesting but not somewhere we would go back”
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

This is a difficult one to review, it was good but for us this kind of a dining experience has been around in the UK for a few years now so it didn't really have that wow factor. The experience was fun and the food ok. The sommelier was brilliant - really informative and had great stories to tell about the wine. The waiters were ok but nothing to rave about in comparison to other places we visited. The restaurant has a very modern feel to and when we were there, a big group was in so a lot of it was shut off for private use so it did lack a little atmosphere. As somewhere to go once give it a try but it wouldn't be a regular place for us to dine if we lived locally.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank ashrafcair

Metro Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota
“hidden gem in the heart of South Africa's Wynlyn”
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

If you're in South Africa you must take time to visit the countries beautiful winelands. Stellenbosch is the premier region for tasting South Africa's beautiful bounty of delicious wines and is also home to some of the country's best restaurants. And exploring the area and searching for a dining experience that would be memorable I came across the hidden gem of Makaron. Located in somewhat of a residential area this boutique hotel and restaurant is not necessarily easy to spot. In fact GPS and or a good map is a good idea to ensure that you can find it. I decided to visit the restaurant mid afternoon for a light snack before heading back to Cape Town. To my surprise as I pulled up gated restaurants and Hotel the exterior seemed very conservative and not what I would've expected for a five-star restaurant. However upon entering into The atrium of the hotel lobby and restaurant I was absolutely amazed at the beautiful regal and ornate decor and furnishings...it was unlike anything else I had seen or experienced in south Africa so far. I sat on the patio and the warmth of the afternoon sunshine while reading that beautiful menu detailing the creation story of the restaurant complete with quotes and memories from the restaurants owners and head chef, a unique detail that I had not seen yet and other restaurants. You really get a sense of their pride for their restaurant and cooking style making this experience very unique. I had an assortment of different appetizers each were petite in size as well as reasonable in price. It was a lovely assortment of tasty snacks perfectly prepared. While I wasn't able to stay for dinner, there are four and six course tasting menus look absolutely phenomenal and by the experience I had with the appetizers I would highly suggest visiting this place while on your trip to Stellenbosch!

Somerset West, South Africa
“Tapas, with a fine twist”
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

We went on a cold and rainy Stellenbosch day, which was actually the perfect choice. The setting was well suited for it. We sat in the bar section in some really larny chairs, fire place roaring and a neon blue bar in the background. Loved the giant bulb lights. The food was great, tapas style with style. For a casual, cozy lunch with some flare, you'll be pleased with Makaron.

Visited August 2013
Gruenwald
“Fantastic Restaurant in the Wine Region”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We had an impressing and creative 6-course dinner, extremely tasty and perfectly served for an absolutely fair price! I certainly can recommend Makaron at Majeka House to every gourmet who is travelling in the wine region!

• Visited October 2013
Durban, South Africa
“What a lovely surprise!”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My husband and I were visiting the restaurants voted as the top five in the country in 2012 and I decided to add Makaron on to our itinerary after reading all the Tripadvisor reviews. And how glad I am I did that. The whole experience was delightfully whimsical from the menus, to the amuse-bouche to the petit fours at the end of the meal. The food was delicious and the service excellent. Also, they had the best bathrooms I have ever been into in SA. A sheer delight!

• Visited November 2013