“Is this place legal?”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Casual cafe at Stark-Conde Wines, Stellenbosch
Reviewed 22 June 2014

It's a tongue-in-cheek title but of the dozens of outstanding views throughout the Stellenbosch/Franshoek region i reckon Postcard Cafe is a clear winner. So spectacular you wonder if it is real! Literally a 340 degree view. We went mid-winter and with no wind weather was perfect.
It was our first visit and loved the place. Menu far more upmarket than average cafe and prices very reasonable. We certainly liked the food which included a delicious orange almond cake-gluten free for desert. I counted 14 options on lunch menu and not one didn't appeal. After lunch take a walk around the dam and def take yr camera.

Tip: On weekends you have to book and i read on cafe website it's closing from 29 June-22 July. Also doesn't open Mondays.

postcardcafe, Owner at Postcard Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Every morning as we set up tables outside and prepare for the day, we too are amazed at the beauty of the surrounding mountains, vineyards and sky. And we're always happy to share this "barely legal" experience!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was treated by my wife and two student sons to a father's day lunch. The views are incomparable in one of the most scenic corners of the Stellenbosch area. Every view from the restaurant is indeed a postcard view. The menu is modest, but with good variety. We all ended up having seafood, and a very good Stark-Condé Sauvignon Blanc. The food was very well prepared and tasty, with very good flavour, taste balance and complexity. The malva pudding was paler than what I'm used to, but attractively done and delicious. Before or after lunch, one can also visit the quaint wine tasting venue on the lake and sample the Stark-Condé product as well as very good red blend from neighbouring Lingen.

1  Thank ltjvv

I'm glad you enjoyed your Father's Day visit with us. I was worried because the weather was a bit chilly that day but then again winter in the Cape is not without its own charm. We hope you will visit again when the sun is out!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Set in a stunning location lovely relaxed little place wher you can have a light or more substantial lunch or go down onto the lake and do a wine tasting - relaxed and beautiful place

Thank you for the kind review. Love the name "holiday junkie"!

Reviewed 22 May 2014

To celebrate my wife's finishing her exams we went to Postcard Café on Mother's Day. The name gives the impression of an average bistro type place, but that is not the case. The food is refined (she had an awesome lamb special and I had the springbok) and very reasonably priced. We both had tiramisu for desert and that was quite average (not enough amaretto flavour and also the mascarpone taste was not coming through enough). The waiter was very friendly and the service was fast, even though it was Mother's Day and quite busy.

The venue is stunning. We were sitting outside - our table on the grass - looking out Stark-Condé's dam, with the beautiful Stellenbosch Mountain in the background. We do understand where the name comes from, because it looks like a postcard, but I'm sure they could have found a name that does more justice to the class and style of the restaurant.

postcardcafe, Owner at Postcard Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thank you for your kind review, and I'm glad your wife was able to unwind at our place after her exams. There is nothing like Jonkershoek on clear autumn day! To be honest, I'd rather be the cafe that "surprises", rather than to be a restaurant that disappoints :) Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Great escape, just a few minutes drive outside Stellenbosch. Beautiful views with green and the bright red/orange Oak trees in autumn leaves.

The menu was definitely different. I had the Teriyaki Burger (not a burger) with a Stark-Conde Syrah and Hot Malva Pudding. The food was excellent!

postcardcafe, Owner at Postcard Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

The autumn leaves are so beautiful right now, I'm happy you had the chance to see them in their glory. (I do think they are particularly special this year). Thank you for taking the time to visit us.