“Superb view, affordable meals”
Review of Postcard Cafe

Postcard Cafe
Ranked #26 of 263 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Casual cafe at Stark-Conde Wines, Stellenbosch
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My wife has visited PCC on many previous occasions and 'invited' me to lunch on a perfect spring Sunday. After waiting around 10 minutes we had to attract the attention of a waiter, not a big deal though. Despite the menu having limited options, the food was very tasty and well prepared (we had prawns and pork chops). The portions are decently sized and quite filling. There are 'cheaper' wine options starting at R90 a bottle, which is acceptable given the superb views onto the mountain ranges! The surrounding area, including the dam and associated bird life made for a great outing - don't forget your camera! We'll be back!

postcardcafe, Owner at Postcard Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

I'm glad that your wife finally brought you to our cafe! Regarding the birdlife, we in fact have a rare African Wagtail that lives here in our gardens. We get many enthusiastic birders looking for this little bird which we see on a daily basis.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Postcard is back in business after their winter break. The weather was perfect on weekend just ended, and with its outstanding views Postcard was our preferred venue. As i expected place was packed. Cafe has lifted prices 10-15% since re-opening but with demand so strong i was not surprised. Nevertheless, many dishes remain below R100 eg pork neck chops R98, vege platter R82, quiche R69. Thai prawn curry and lamb bredie are R120.
Bottles of wine can still be had at R90 but no rose' (a luncheon fav) is offered. Mattheus at the tasting room knows his stuff.
4 yrs since opening Postcard Cafe has hit its straps and you have to book well in advance even on weekdays when weather is golden. The view is 'still legal' and makes the whole experience something to remember.

postcardcafe, Owner at Postcard Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for your review, and welcome back. I'm glad that you chose a beautiful day to visit us, I know what a big part the weather plays in our experience. Winter rains are good for the grape vines, but not for the cafe!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We visited this lovely place in the wonderful vineyards for breakfast. The surroundings were stunning and the staff very friendly. The service, however, was very slow, and the menu really limited, at least for breakfast. The croissants were burnt and when .we asked to have them replaced for some that are not burnt, we were told that all the croissants look like that. Very small bowl of grated cheese with the croissant, not worth the R40 it cost at all. The other breakfasts ordered also not very appetizing, and the orange juice not fresh. So, stay away if you want a lovely breakfast, but if you need a place for coffee and pretty surroundings, you can go.

I do apologies about the over-baked croissants, I will see to it that we are more careful about checking all dishes leaving the kitchen. Our menu is small indeed, and so all the more reason we need to offer quality for each item. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

On a visit with a friend in Stellenbosch, she insisted she wanted to take me to taste the best carrot cake imaginable,.. What a lovely treat in a perfect setting for a brief respite from the city. We sat in the garden overlooking spectacular mountains, lush greenery, perfectly manicured gardens. We shared a Mezze Platter, Carrot Cake, Scone, Chai Tea and Cappacino. It was all so delicious, we took a slice of Red Velvet for the car. The waiting staff were prompt and friendly and the bathrooms clean and refreshing. Well worth the drive.

postcardcafe, Owner at Postcard Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review. I'm glad you you came on the short drive to enjoy a piece of our countryside. I wonder if the red velvet cake made it back to Cape Town?! We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our family (including children and grandparents) visited Postcard Cafe on a Sunday morning in April for breakfast.

The setting is undisputedly supurb - surrounded by mountains on all sides, overlooking a pond that gives you the sense of being on the banks of a remote wilderness lake...

The food, however, was extremely disappointing. At first glance, standard breakfast fare was glaringly missing - no bacon-and-eggs type offering at all, let alone a full english or the like. The nearest resemblance to traditional breakfast was an omelette (2 options for fillings) - our party tried both options, but was rather disappointed. A somewhat rubbery omelet with chopped bits and pieces (the tomato in the bacon cheese and tomato omelet not even warm throughout) tossed unceremoniously inside. The other option we tried out were the croissants - what an utter disappointment. Obviously not freshly baked, they were re-heated to a dark brown crisp, again with chopped bits and pieces stuffed inside. I've had better croissant offerings off supermarket shelves. And seriously guys - smoked salmon croissants, scrambled eggs with salmon, eggs benedict...some easy 'basics' that could be added to the menu to provide more options? The scones were also rather dry (and small) - all in all, not one of the about 12 offerings we sampled, were worthy of this setting.

Add to that service that was definitely below par, and I seriously doubt whether I'll return (unless its with my own picnic basket, which I doubt they'll allow). I have heard great things about their lunches, though, so maybe I should give them the benefit of the doubt...

I won't be back for breakfast, though...too many far better options in Stellenbosch alone (why, even the Spur breakie trumps this, and is way cheaper to boot!) I got the sense that their breakfast offering is almost an aside to their lunch, and that they really can't be bothered at all and want customers to leave so they can get on with lunch... But if you are going to offer breakfast - at least get the service and menu right?

2  Thank justdanni
postcardcafe, Owner at Postcard Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you very much for your helpful comments. I will discuss the issues with the kitchen and the wait staff so as to improve our overall experience. Will we EVER be able to offer a "Spur" breakfast? Probably not. Our breakfast menu is small, as is our lunch menu. But I do take to heart your suggestions regarding a slightly expanded breakfast menu. Going into the warmer season, we plan to add some items to the breakfast menu so watch this space!