“I'm detecting a pattern here....”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Cameo Arts & Crafts
Ranked #20 of 20 Shopping in Stellenbosch
Cape Town
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“I'm detecting a pattern here....”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I'm a tour guide in Cape Town and had a couple buy a vase from Nana Wagner in May 2012. They paid for it by credit card (yes it was working) and paid an additional amount to ship the vase to Kentucky, US. After 3 months the vase had not arrived and since I tour regularly in Stellenbosch, I called in to enquire about it. I was given a tracking number for the SAPO which I tracked online and guess what? The package was mailed back to Mrs Wagner. I then asked her to use a courier but she insisted that she had never had any trouble with the Post Office. Over the months that followed, I repeatedly returned to the shop to chase up the vase. I was told every time that she did not have the receipt book, it was with her accountant. However, she remembered the customers and the vase. It is now September 2013 and I last went to the shop (which has now moved across the road and upstairs of the little coffee shop) just over a month ago. I told her we'd had enough and preferred that she would just refund the credit card. I've just received a mail from the traveller to say that there is still no vase and no refund. It's been 16 months and at least 6 personal visits to the woman and she still sticks firm. The reviews below are confirmation to me that there is a problem that needs to be solved and as a representative of the tourism community, I think it's one that I may have to take on.....

Visited May 2013
2 Thank marabara

Arlington, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fraud,again, Nana”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

It looks like old Nanna is at it again. My sister and I purchased two lovely bowls at her nice shop. Her credit card machine was,again, not working, and she sent us across the street to charge it to Scarecrow Organics. We did not receive the bowls after six weeks and e-mailed her. She said she was sorry but had moved across the street and had not mailed them, but she would mail them right away and send tracking numbers. After a week with no response, we emailed, her email had changed, and then we got no more responses. My credit card company called Scarecrow Organics and they said they would get in touch with her. The latest email from scarecrow Oeganics was that they talked to her and our boxes got packed up for the move and not shipped and she cannot find them and wants me to send my credit card info. for a refund---yes, sure I will!! I have filed a dispute with the vendor with my credit card company and they can work it out for me. My funds are being put back in my account as we speak. It pays to use your credit card, for sure. Nanna, I will be letting my travel agent, the tour guide that brought us to Stellenbosh, and my lovely guest house in Capetown of your abhorrent behavior! We fell so in love with South Africa and had a perfect trip (minus this little incident) so we might have to come back and tell you what we think of your schemes.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Jawsbytes
California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fraud”
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My husband and I stopped by this seemingly lovely little shop that carries african art and handiwork while we were walking around Stellenbosch on November 1, 2011, and decided to buy a wood face mask to have shipped home to us in the States. The lovely older woman at the register, Nana Wagner, informed us that her credit card machine wasn't working, so we paid in cash. What a mistake that turned out to be!

She said she would mail the mask to us, but it's over 14 months later and still no mask. In response to our email queries, we were told that yes the mask did ship and that she had the tracking number, but no tracking number was ever forthcoming despite our many requests for it. Further queries, and we were told she was just getting back from being sick. Eventually, she stopped answering our emails entirely and her email inbox was too full to take any more emails from us. Emails to an alternate email address were never answered. We have emailed the Stellenbosch tourism association, which has also not been helpful in getting the mask or getting our money back.

In all our world travels, this is the first time we have been truly swindled. Tourists, beware!

Visited February 2012