Spier Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Oude Werf Hotel(Stellenbosch)
US$84
US$76
US$128
Agoda.com
The Beautiful South Guest House(Stellenbosch)(Great Value!)
US$56
US$52
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
US$140
US$137
Hotwire.com
2,131 results
All reviewssegway toureagle encounterswine tastingkids clubbird sanctuarycraft marketcape towngas firemain restaurantmain poolrooms are largeconference venueour honeymoongarden routewine estatebeautiful placefantastic stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We love Spier and the whole idea behind it. The beautiful decor is pleasing and inspiring and it is potentially one of Stellenbosch's premier venues. But it fell flat on its face today.

We arrived at just after 12 for lunch at the Hotel Restaurant. The table settings had not been completed. We ordered and the waiting started. There were no waitrons at all in the dining room for long periods. If you needed something, you actually had to call across the empty dining room, when someone eventually appeared. There were 16 tables and only 5 were occupied(now I know why) and STILL the staff could not cope. We left at about 2.

I was not the only one to complain. A irate gentleman from another table got up to go try and find a waitress, shrugging at me as he passed. I asked for the manager, who then served me personally....which is also wrong - WHERE are the waitresses? Did they intimidate him into serving us?! They seem to have an enormous sense of entitlement, somehow....

There was a table with a dozen Bewildered looking Easterners.(Visit the East if you want to learn something about service). They were clearly tired, hungry, bored and unhappy. They wont be back to Spier in a hurry, I can promise you that.

The food? Mediocre. Yawn.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Spier2011, General Manager at Spier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Sherry877

Thank you for the recent review of our restaurant. Please accept my humble apologies for my team not delivering on your expectations. This is not the general level of service offered in the restaurant and I am as disappointed as you with the lack of service delivery. Please could you send me your contact details as I would like to discuss your complaint in person.

I have shared your comments with my Food and Beverage team, including both the service and kitchen teams. I am positive that your experience is a once off occurrence as my team is continually striving to deliver a great hospitality experience to all guests. I would encourage you to give the restaurant another visit in the future, and would appreciate hearing about your experiences.

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Great food with fantastic wine pairing and friendly staff at dinner time. But that's as good as it gets.

For a 4 star hotel the accommodation is somewhat spartan - no carpets on the cement floors, ill fitting shutters in place of curtains, no extractor fan in the bathroom. Bed was extremely comfortable though.

Worst of all was the housekeeping - never completed before 16:00 during the five days I spent there. Soiled towels were picked up off the floor then folded and put back on the towel rack, soap and toilet paper never replenished adequately. Had a call to housekeeping almost every evening.

1  Thank Graeme A

Dear Graeme A

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food and service at dinner, it is always rewarding for the team to receive positive reinforcement from our guests.

The rooms of the hotel are large compared to other hotels, the 60m² rooms offer spacious accommodation decorated in a calm neutral colour palette with wooden furniture. Due to the size and the style of furnishing guests get the feeling of a spacious uncluttered space. The floors of the rooms are corcoleum, a natural sawdust and wood flours based product that offers wonderful thermal properties as well as been environmentally friendly. Our rooms have rugs as standard, unfortunately my housekeeping team removed the rug from your room prior to arrival for cleaning purposes and neglected to return it.

Please accept my apologies for the housekeeping service deficiencies experienced. I have addressed your concerns with the Housekeeper to avoid a repeat in the future.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

My husband and I just returned from staying at the Spier Hotel in Stellenbosch, South Africa. It truly felt like our home away from home. The rooms, grounds, hotel, and staff were all above average. The staff did everything they could to accommodate any need that we might have had. The rooms were beautiful and very spacious. We would definitely return to Spier Hotel and stay again. A couple of the staff members went above and beyond to make our stay memorable. Their names are Lebo, Tashwin, and Morris. I will never forget how they made us feel so at home. It sounds funny, but I will miss them!

Room Tip: The rooms on the main floor face into a garden area. Our room was upstairs but had beautiful views as well.
1  Thank Allison B

Dear Allison B

Thank you for the wonderful praise, and for taking the time to mention the team members by name. We are thrilled that you and your husband had such a wonderful experience at Spier.

Lebo, Tashwin, and Morris truly are stars and are a valuable part of our team, I have shared your review with them. We hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel when next you find yourself in South Africa.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

The place has an old style setting but it does not mean the service is old style. The rooms are spacious and the fire place comes in handy when it is chilly like when I was booked in here.
The staff is professional and helpful. I had a terrible headache in the middle of the night and they offered to drive me to the nearest clinic. They really went out of their way to ensure that I was fine.
The food was Manifeque, starting with breakfast and anything else I tried while I was at the venue. I like the bar setting with its cozy fire place to catch up with friends and chat till the early hours of the morning.
On the downside, the cleaning staff was not very thorough with their cleaning. One day I came back after 2 p.m. and the room was still not done.
I also did not explore the whole complex as it has a lot to see and nice walking trails. When you are at this place, you really do not need to go anywhere else – it is semi self contained if you have a big group. I wish they had a golf course on the premises.

Room Tip: Make time to explore the estate and the nice walking trails and visit the sanctuary

Dear Jjaymoh

Thank you for the valuable feedback and review of our wonderful property. My team pride themselves in delivering great food and hospitality, as you have experienced!

Please accept my apologies for dropping the ball with housekeeping. Your comments have been noted and will be used in future training with the housekeeping team.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

This is not my first time at Spier, and it si always a pleasant experince. Arrived on a very cold day and very soon was in the very spacious room with a gas fire roaring. What is it about hotels and these 1-inch soaps that are unusable? Anyway, i always bring my own big bar. The rooms are large and comfortable in a rustic, wine- farm kind of way. The reception and common area beautiful with wood fires and very friendly staff.

This is an ideal location for tourists to explore the Cape Winelands as there are many other wine estates up the same road. The conference facilities are top class and the catering superb. A streams runs thru the estate .

Room Tip: All the rooms are big. You walk outside to get to rooms but golf carts are available, if room is far or it is raining

Dear Voyager26

We love to hear from our regular guest, thank you for the review. I have noted your comment regarding the guest amenities, we now have both body gel and soap in all the rooms. Unfortunately they are the small variety!

I am happy that you found our facilities to be both comfortable and top class.