Spier Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$223
US$84
US$76
US$128
Agoda.com
The Beautiful South Guest House(Stellenbosch)(Great Value!)
US$56
US$52
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
US$140
US$137
Hotwire.com
Lanzerac Hotel & Spa(Stellenbosch)
Priceline
2,131 results
All reviewssegway toureagle encounterswine tastingkids clubbird sanctuarycraft marketcape towngas firemain restaurantmain poolrooms are largeconference venueour honeymoongarden routewine estatebeautiful placefantastic stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The room was fantastic. The room was MASSIVE and on top of that we had our very own large terrace and a balcony. The breakfast was excellent and the service was good.
We had a picnic breakfast on arrival and then went to Fairview for a cheese and wine lunch. We wanted to break away fro lunch seeing as we would spend the morning and eve in Spier and then again all day there for the Eagles.

However, when I emailed the travel desk before my arrival from my UK email address (I am South African) and asked them for taxi or shuttle costs to and from Fairview I was charged a ridiculous costs of R1040. When I asked why it was this costs i never got a reply back but I received very quick responses when I was enquiring about the booking. As a South African I was very well aware this was a Tourist price! After all, I was staying the night and eating at the famous and amazing Moyo so I planned to spend a lot of time at Spier.

When I arrived I went over to the Travel desk and spoke to a very "charming" man who could only tell me that the reason for the large shuttle costs was because "thats how much it is". Helpful.

I called Fairview who were so helpful and gave me a local taxi number located in Paarl (30 minutes away from Spier) they were amazing! Return trip with an amazing driver who gave my boyfriend (the real tourist) a tour for a return cost of R700. The amazing part is that Spier Shuttle is located at Spier and should be there for guests. The taxi cab came from 30 minutes away and at a saving!!!!

Besides our rude experience at the Travel desk, i would stay at Spier again but this time more than 1 night. The room was unbelievable and venue is unbelievable! Moyo was also amazing and it was great that it was just a 5 minute walk away from our room. Loved it and it was the best part of our trip. So much so that we are already planning to do it again in March (thankfully we kept the cab number). I would have given this review 5* if it wasn't for the tourist rip off attempt at the Travel Desk.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We spent a night here and really enjoyed it. The reception staff were welcoming and friendly. Decor stylish. Love the village style hotel complex. The room was spacious and comfortable. The bathroom lovely. Fireplace made it cozy. We were able to relax. The Breakfast was delightful, choice was good. Definitely worth a return visit. We had opportunity to see the riverfront rooms/apartments and for a family with one or two children it would ideal. Plenty space for kids to run.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Juanita D
Spier2011, General Manager at Spier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Dear Juanita D

Thank you for your review, Spier is a family friendly hotel, we recently reintroduced the children s club house and can now cater for youngsters of all ages. There are two play areas, one catering for the under 10's and the other for the teens. We will also be introducing 7 inter-leading family rooms at the end of October.

We hope to welcome you and your family back to experience these new features.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

A lovely hotel with delightful surroundings. Staff are friendly, welcoming and helpful. Delicious wines and the wine tasting experience is highly recommended. Spacious rooms, good standard of cleanliness. Food is of a high quality, though service can be somewhat lacking, particularly if there are larger numbers of diners for dinner service. Cheetah reserve is accessible from the hotel, though no longer housed on site as advertised by some travel operators (approx 20mins by car)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CPHertfordshire

Dear CPHertfordshire

Thank you for the recent review, we are delighted that you had a great stay at the hotel. I have noted your concerns around the dinner service, we do try and keep groups and individual guest separated but this is not always possible. I have also noted your comment about the cheetah reserve, and the marketing team is working on have 3rd party web pages updated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Spier on your next visit to South Africa.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We love Spier and the whole idea behind it. The beautiful decor is pleasing and inspiring and it is potentially one of Stellenbosch's premier venues. But it fell flat on its face today.

We arrived at just after 12 for lunch at the Hotel Restaurant. The table settings had not been completed. We ordered and the waiting started. There were no waitrons at all in the dining room for long periods. If you needed something, you actually had to call across the empty dining room, when someone eventually appeared. There were 16 tables and only 5 were occupied(now I know why) and STILL the staff could not cope. We left at about 2.

I was not the only one to complain. A irate gentleman from another table got up to go try and find a waitress, shrugging at me as he passed. I asked for the manager, who then served me personally....which is also wrong - WHERE are the waitresses? Did they intimidate him into serving us?! They seem to have an enormous sense of entitlement, somehow....

There was a table with a dozen Bewildered looking Easterners.(Visit the East if you want to learn something about service). They were clearly tired, hungry, bored and unhappy. They wont be back to Spier in a hurry, I can promise you that.

The food? Mediocre. Yawn.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Spier2011, General Manager at Spier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Sherry877

Thank you for the recent review of our restaurant. Please accept my humble apologies for my team not delivering on your expectations. This is not the general level of service offered in the restaurant and I am as disappointed as you with the lack of service delivery. Please could you send me your contact details as I would like to discuss your complaint in person.

I have shared your comments with my Food and Beverage team, including both the service and kitchen teams. I am positive that your experience is a once off occurrence as my team is continually striving to deliver a great hospitality experience to all guests. I would encourage you to give the restaurant another visit in the future, and would appreciate hearing about your experiences.

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Great food with fantastic wine pairing and friendly staff at dinner time. But that's as good as it gets.

For a 4 star hotel the accommodation is somewhat spartan - no carpets on the cement floors, ill fitting shutters in place of curtains, no extractor fan in the bathroom. Bed was extremely comfortable though.

Worst of all was the housekeeping - never completed before 16:00 during the five days I spent there. Soiled towels were picked up off the floor then folded and put back on the towel rack, soap and toilet paper never replenished adequately. Had a call to housekeeping almost every evening.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Graeme A

Dear Graeme A

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food and service at dinner, it is always rewarding for the team to receive positive reinforcement from our guests.

The rooms of the hotel are large compared to other hotels, the 60m² rooms offer spacious accommodation decorated in a calm neutral colour palette with wooden furniture. Due to the size and the style of furnishing guests get the feeling of a spacious uncluttered space. The floors of the rooms are corcoleum, a natural sawdust and wood flours based product that offers wonderful thermal properties as well as been environmentally friendly. Our rooms have rugs as standard, unfortunately my housekeeping team removed the rug from your room prior to arrival for cleaning purposes and neglected to return it.

Please accept my apologies for the housekeeping service deficiencies experienced. I have addressed your concerns with the Housekeeper to avoid a repeat in the future.