“Beautiful setting, fantastic service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Devon Valley Hotel

Devon Valley Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful setting, fantastic service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

We stayed here with our 10month old baby and felt very relaxed and at home. Our room (in the new block), was beautifully appointed and the bed was extremely comfortable. There was a cot set up for the little one and housekeeping did a fantastic job cleaning up his mess.
Breakfasts were a delight, and every assistance was offered with the baby - a babyseat at the table, preparation of breakfast for him, and plenty of cuddles and smiles from the staff.
In particular, Ana in housekeeping was a favourite friend of Charlie's!
The grounds of the house are beautiful - gorgeous gardens and spectacular views.
It is well situated for visiting the amazing wineries in the area and we would definitely return to this hotel when we're back in SA.
Thanks to all the staff at Devon Valley for making the start of our SA trip so enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank bubsinthebackpack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
tel aviv
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

Top boutique style hotel with superb rooms, overlooking the mountains , excellent restaurant ( you must taste the fillet ) Peaceful location. food is fresh and attractively displayed, and hotel is spotlessly clean , and try the cheese basket for 2( at night) it is excellent . The stuff are very nice and wellcome you with smiles service is exceptional . we enjoy every moment at this hotel , wish we can stay ther longer.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dbn32
Stellenbosch, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2011

run down hotel, pool is green, toilet seat is broken, food in the restaurant was very mediocre. Wine on the wine list not available. Alternative Wine of the house vineyard drinkable but did not taste good. From our view the hotel is not recommendable.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tevbrown
SylvanVale, Manager at Devon Valley Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am truly sorry for the fact that we somehow didn't live up to your expectations during your stay over. It is always frustrating having to respond to a guest review especially if it is not clear who the person, when he stayed or in which room he stayed. It is also not clear from your review if you discussed your concerns directly with any of our duty managers or reception staff during your stay over, but I would greatly appreciate more details if you are willing to contact me directly. Please see my email address below.

I do feel that your review is quite harsh and very subjective, but of course you are 100% entitled to your opinion and also have the right to post comments about your stay. All I can do is try my utmost to secure as much detail as I can in order to follow up with my team. The only clue I have as to the approximate date of your stay, is your comment about the pool. Two weekends ago (4 & 5 March) our main swimming pool did in fact turn a tinge of green due to an irrigation pipe that burst sometime during the night of the 3rd of March. The water from the burst irrigation pipe flowed into the pool (a saline pool) and unfortunately turned it a green colour literally overnight. If you were part of the tour group that arrived on Friday the 4th of March, you would recall that I specifically made an announcement on the group's arrival on the terrace advising of the pool situation and that we were treating if overnight (on the 4th) and that the colour will return to normal within a day or two (which it did - a bright sparkly blue, as it still is and normally is). Our smaller pool at the Manor House rooms section was also still available as an alternative to use.

The water's saline concentration unfortunately became diluted due to the burst irrigation pipe in the garden next to the pool and it can happen with pools that the colour can be quite dramatically impacted in a very short period of time. I profusely apologised to the tour group on their arrival and my reception staff were also aware of the situation in order to advise all individual guests on arrival. The pool was still 100% safe to swim in though and I specially mentioned that as well. I did what I could to communicate about the matter, but of course a pool with a green tinge is not the expected norm at any hotel and for that I sincerely apologise.

Your reference to our food and wine offerings are unfortunately also relatively vague and again I can't respond with any accuracy given the limited details given in your review. Someone's taste in wine is a very subjective thing and you are entitled to your opinion and unique preferences in wine. It is unfortunate that some of the wines on our winelist were sold out. Your waiter should have advised you about this beforehand. If you did not receive clear communication about this in the restaurant I can understand your irritation. Our SylvanVale range of wines however are regularly receiving rave reviews from guests and wine critics and have received numerous awards. However, I can understand if for some reason it was not to your liking. We do have an extensive wine list which was awarded the Diners Club Diamond award last year and I am surprised that you did not find anything to your liking on the list.

I also don't know in which room you were staying and whether you reported the maintenance item. We do have a system of preventative maintenance checks in place as well as on-site maintenance staff who are able to respond quickly to room issues reported by guests. I do trust that the toilet seat problem was resolved speedily if you reported it to my reception team.

I will greatly appreciate it if you would consider forwarding me more details as I would like to do further follow up and also find out if you will ever be returning to the Stellenbosch region and be willing to give us a 2nd chance at offering you a truly superb stay over experience. I look forward to hearing from you!

All the Best & Kind regards,
Marlize Stander
Assistant General Manager
Email: info@devonvalleyhotel.com
Towcester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2011

We had a wonderful 6 day stay at The Devon Valley Hotel. Staff were most helpful and friendly. The room we had was superb with balcony at the front and a small swimming pool at the back, which was almost to ourselves (about 5 rooms share it).
Food in the restaurant was very good and excellent value, compared with European prices.
Gardens around the hotel are extensive and beautifully maintained and we also took advantage of the boules court and the larger swimming pool.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lmgtowcester
Essen, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2011

The hotel is located within vineyards, very calm & relaxing. But nevertheless it's close to the beautiful towns of Stellenbosch & Franschoek, with good access to Cape Town and many popular attractions such as Cape Agulhas, Cape of Good Hope, Simons Town ...
The prices are reasonable and the staff is very kind.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank UB-1966
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2011

We've just returned from a tour of South Africa and have no complaints about any of the places where we stayed, but I have no hesitation in choosing Devon Valley as our favourite---the best food and wine, the loveliest location, wonderful rooms and helpful, attentive staff. The pool was superb, and we wished to stay longer---and free, high speed internet too, whereas in other hotels it was 30 Rand for half an hour and sometimes didn't work!

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank KlaraZ
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

The hotel has a real quality feel without being fussy, rooms food etc of a different order to other (good) hotels we stayed in South Africa. It was a special wedding anniversary day for us and the staff really went the extra mile when I asked for flowers, bubbly and chocolates for my wife's surprise. We will be sure to return on our next trip to South Africa.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple