Devon Valley Hotel
Oude Werf Hotel(Stellenbosch)
  • Breakfast included
Eendracht Hotel(Stellenbosch)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsflavours restaurantriviera travelpizza ovenjc le rouxwalk in showerwine tastingluxury roomstunning viewswelcome drinkcape townbuffet breakfasttwo nightshotel is situatedwonderful hotellarge bathrooma real treatrelaxing stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 April 2010

Without a doubt the best hotel we stayed in during our two weeks in S.A. The rooms, setting,views staff and the meals all superb. If we ever return to the area we will stay there again and stay a while longer. A really tranquil place.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2010

This was the 1st hotel we stayed in South Africa. Although it's not in downtown, this was not an issue, as our plan was to visit wineries, and they are widespread over the region anyway.

It's located in a very beautiful and quiet region (almost at the end of a small road). The rooms are big, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. What else could I ask?

Oh, but there was one detail I didn't like: there was a sticker on the public computer telling that if you wrote a review on TripAdvisor, printed it out and showed it at the bar, they would give you a free drink. It's a kind of manipulation, isn't it?

Anyway, I agree with the good reviews this hotel got here at TripAdvisor.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
SylvanVale, Assistant General Manager at Devon Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2010

Dear Guest (TripAdvisor Profile 'SaiWei'),

Thank you so much for your review on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate every review that is posted on the site by guests who stayed with us. Thank you also for your kind words and honest feedback. We are extremely fortunate with our stunning location in the beautiful Devon Valley and the peace and tranquility of our area as well as superb views are often commented on by our guests as being part of what makes our hotel special and unique.

With regards to your comment about our notice on the communication centre computers, I would really appreciate TripAdvisor to respond and let me know if that is in fact not appropriate to offer an 'incentive' to post a review. We do of course also open ourselves up to potential unfavourable reviews if a guest has had a disappointing experience (which can happen as we're not perfect!) and therefore in our minds the offer of a glass of wine is not seen as 'manipulation' from our side to get guests to post positive reviews. We want to secure as many honest reviews as we can get (whatever the content). But we want the input as we benefit from feedback from guests (to improve service standards) as well as the fact that people who consider staying with us can see the reviews (as well as our responses to the reviews) in order to make an informed decision on whether they will stay with us or not.

The glass of wine is therefore in our view not manipulation at all but rather a kind of 'value add' for when TripAdvisor members who stay with us do consider to post a review. There are many ways in which hotels try to increase their reviews (eg TripAdvisor links on their websites, email requests to their guest database) and we have come up with this idea to make it easier and in fact potentially more pleasant for them to take the time at the guest computers to write the review. In no way does this guarantee us a positive review! We only expect an honest one.

I do really appreciate the fact that you raised the matter though. I know that TripAdvisor scans all owner responses before posting it to the site and I look forward to receiving feedback directly from them regarding this. Needless to say, if they feel we should remove the notice from our guest computers, we will do so immediately.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay over with us and we hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our special corner of the Stellenbosch Winelands some time in the future!

Kind regards,
Marlize Stander
Assistant General Manager
Devon Valley Hotel

Reviewed 11 March 2010

This is a very comfortable boutique hotel. The setting is very beautiful with views of mountains and vineyards from the terrace.

I found the service at all levels excellent and the whole staff put themselves out to make my visit a great success.

My room was clean and very comfortable and had the best bed by far in my tour around South Africa. The restaurant food and service was first class and my two-day visit a great success in every way.

I would happily recommend this lovely retreat and come back myself anytime.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 10 March 2010

An excellent choice hotel by Riviera travel.. Super location, beautiful rooms and views.
We enjoyed the varied menu in the restaurant, the service was good and the atmospere calm and efficient. Our room had super views over the gardens and towards the mountains. The bathroom was large and well equipped. A really lovely hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Devon Valley was a great place to stay. It is a little off the beaten path, but so are most of the winery hotels around the Stellenbosch area. We stayed in one of the “new” rooms, and within the new rooms, some of them are upgradeable for around $10. The upgrade gives you the sliding doors between the bathroom and main room, and a fireplace. Other than that, the rooms are the same. The “old” rooms looked to have more character, but since none of our group stayed in them, I cannot give details.

The rooms were very spacious and clean. The beds and linens were very plush and EXTREMELY comfortable. The gas fireplace was nice for ambiance. The highlight was the bathroom. They were large, modern, had a walk-in glass shower, claw footed tub, and nice amenities. There were pocket doors between the tub and main room that opened to make the space even more open and spacious. The sliding doors, opposite of the bathroom, opened to bring the views of the vineyards in as well as let a nice breeze in during the day. They were wonderful rooms.

The restaurant was delicious. The staff was more than attentive. My glass never got below half-full…but they never crowded you. Typically you could choose from a great buffet, or order off the menu (dinners were from the menu). In the four days we were there, we were never disappointed. In addition to the dining room, you could eat out on the patio. When the sun set, candles would be delivered and you could continue under candle light until you chose to go inside. It was a very nice place to sit. With the “expensive” wine being around $8 per bottle, a nice drink before or after dinner was a MUST! It was nice being able to order whatever you wanted and never really have to worry about the bill. Side note…if you have never been to South Africa….things are CHEAP. Full dinners (appetizer, salad, main course, dessert, and a few bottles of wine) for 6 people rarely was over $100 USD. The quality rivaled what good restaurants in the States would provide, but for a fraction of the cost!

One of the best things about Devon Valley was the staff. They took care of every need we had. One of my favorites was the patio. We had a few waiters that always looked for us. They made sure I had my favorite beer and my wife had her favorite wine within a minute of sitting down. From there, they took care of all of our drink and dining needs., even following you into the dining room when you were ready for dinner. The room was always immaculate. They came in whenever we were gone and straightened things out, cleaned, and took care of anything we needed.

Even though the hotel was a little way off the main highway, it was a good location. Within a few minutes walk, you could be at a few different wineries, including one sparkling wine. You were close to a few gold courses….I played at one of them and it was very nice. My wife went off and had a great massage about 15 minutes away and it had top notch service. We visited 10-12 wineries a day and collected some great wines to bring home. For scenery and wine tasting, the location is great. We stayed here after starting off in Cape Town, so being away from the action was just what we needed.

I would not hesitate to stay here again, or to recommend it to anyone looking to stay in the wine region of Cape Town.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple