This is about Dorpshuis Protea as apparently more than one Protea in Stellenbosch. Booked through the Stellenbosch tourist office (which can highly recommend excellent service) but the hotel gave us a bad first impression as they seemed bewildered by the booking process. The deposit is taken by the tourist office and we have done this before and other establishments don't get confused over it. However protea wanted to charge us again and not take the paid deposit into account. The next thing was they sent us an invoice for the full amount as they insisted on full payment "up front". We did as they requested but it's not what you want to be dealing with when it's a holiday.
The breakfast is good. Probably the best thing about the place.
I would describe it as your typical corporate chain hotel where they assume the company is paying so they don't need to be too concerned about your satisfaction.
Have made a mental note to give Protea chain a wide berth in future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of the Winelands, in one of the most beautiful and heritage conscious towns, Protea Hotel by Marriott Stellenbosch offers all guests the best of the Winelands. Stellenbosch is the second-oldest town in South Africa and affectionately referred to as the "Eikestad." Our hotel in Stellenbosch is nestled between two international golf courses. Accommodation is available in Executive, Deluxe and Standard Twin rooms, where Deluxe and Standard rooms configure to a two-bedroom apartment ideal for families and groups. Executive rooms have the best view in the house and are designed with the executive traveller in mind. Whether it’s the magnificent backdrop of mountain ranges you seek, perhaps just a scenic drive or wine tasting at the many surrounding wine farms, you will never run out of things to see and do. The hotel boasts two restaurants, two swimming pools, braai facilities, wireless internet access and the largest conference venue in Stellenbosch. If that’s not enough, why not gaze at the 270° view of the Helderberg mountain range, Blaauwklippen vineyards and the De Zalze Golf Estate. Whether it’s a family holiday or a team building activity you are looking for, Protea Hotel by Marriott Stellenbosch is just the venue for you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Stellenbosch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Stellenbosch
- Stellenbosch Protea Hotel