Ok - the main gripe first. The location of this place is awful if you don't have a car. I ended up staying there for 3 nights on a business trip and felt pretty stranded. If you fancy going for a short walk, the nearby 'sights' are a business park. Stellenbosch centre is a good 10-15 minute drive away.
Breakfasts were good but the one evening meal I had on room service was awful - a pork steak (on the menu as sirloin?) was cooked to death then smothered in bbq sauce and accompanied with half cooked fried. The Black Bull bar and restaurant is kind of nice although I had a beer so don't know about the food.
Internet access is by flaky wireless which would only work in my room if I kept the computer by the bedroom window and I was close-ish to the main reception area. Its also pretty expensive
The room was fine - as already stated in other reviews, this is less a hotel and more a compound of mini-holiday apartments - my 'room' actually had a separate bedroom and lounge which had a small kitchenette in it with microwave, sink, toaster and fridge although I didnt use any of this.
This is it means the whole place is very spread out over a small campus so if you need to go to reception or to the restaurant it can be quite a walk (compared to being in a regular hotel at least).
Wouldn't stay here again if I return as I would prefer to be closer to the centre of town where there is stuff going on.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of the Winelands, in one of the most beautiful and heritage conscious towns, Protea Hotel by Marriott Stellenbosch offers all guests the best of the Winelands. Stellenbosch is the second-oldest town in South Africa and affectionately referred to as the "Eikestad." Our hotel in Stellenbosch is nestled between two international golf courses. Accommodation is available in Executive, Deluxe and Standard Twin rooms, where Deluxe and Standard rooms configure to a two-bedroom apartment ideal for families and groups. Executive rooms have the best view in the house and are designed with the executive traveller in mind. Whether it’s the magnificent backdrop of mountain ranges you seek, perhaps just a scenic drive or wine tasting at the many surrounding wine farms, you will never run out of things to see and do. The hotel boasts two restaurants, two swimming pools, braai facilities, wireless internet access and the largest conference venue in Stellenbosch. If that’s not enough, why not gaze at the 270° view of the Helderberg mountain range, Blaauwklippen vineyards and the De Zalze Golf Estate. Whether it’s a family holiday or a team building activity you are looking for, Protea Hotel by Marriott Stellenbosch is just the venue for you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Stellenbosch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Stellenbosch
- Stellenbosch Protea Hotel