“The sourroundings and ambience is too good”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Stellenbosch
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Reviewed 11 June 2009

The hotel is located away from city in a peaceful place next to the Technopark sourrounded by grape farms and hills. The hotel rooms are nice and every room has a beautiful scenic view of natural beauty.

The inbuilt lawns and gardens are maintained very well and one can enjoy a nice morning walk. The pool side view is also good.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank BigcatRaj

Reviewed 1 March 2009

I had a room in "cottage" A, ie closest to the main building, up on the 2nd floor, no elevator, and a huge piece of luggage to carry up the stairs.
I only have good things to say about my room, clean, nice, everything in order, with fantastic view of a vineyard!
The hotel is more like small "cottages" separate from the main building and it can be quite a walk depending on where your room is. I was in luck, cottage A.
The hotel is way outside central Stellenbosch and that's a town without taxis.
I strongly recommend you have your own transportation when you come to this hotel! We got help in arranging for transportation back to the hotel after a meal in restaurant downtown.
The hotel is spread out on a large area, I think this is more of a conference/business hotel.
This is not my kind of hotel, I like staying somewhere central where I don't need to worry about (nonexistent) taxis/transportation back.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Laila L
Reviewed 15 January 2009

Ok - the main gripe first. The location of this place is awful if you don't have a car. I ended up staying there for 3 nights on a business trip and felt pretty stranded. If you fancy going for a short walk, the nearby 'sights' are a business park. Stellenbosch centre is a good 10-15 minute drive away.

Breakfasts were good but the one evening meal I had on room service was awful - a pork steak (on the menu as sirloin?) was cooked to death then smothered in bbq sauce and accompanied with half cooked fried. The Black Bull bar and restaurant is kind of nice although I had a beer so don't know about the food.

Internet access is by flaky wireless which would only work in my room if I kept the computer by the bedroom window and I was close-ish to the main reception area. Its also pretty expensive

The room was fine - as already stated in other reviews, this is less a hotel and more a compound of mini-holiday apartments - my 'room' actually had a separate bedroom and lounge which had a small kitchenette in it with microwave, sink, toaster and fridge although I didnt use any of this.

This is it means the whole place is very spread out over a small campus so if you need to go to reception or to the restaurant it can be quite a walk (compared to being in a regular hotel at least).

Wouldn't stay here again if I return as I would prefer to be closer to the centre of town where there is stuff going on.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank stu20001
Reviewed 13 January 2009

We reserved the Protea hotel as our last night destination in South Africa prior to flying home from Cape Town early the next day. We were well aware the hotel was not in the centre of Stellenbosch, but it is further out than we thought: around 10-15 minutes drive. Having said that, we managed to find the hotel in the car without real problems.

We were pleased to be given an upgrade on arrival to a suite, which had a large living room (with kitchenette concealed behind a cupboard) and a separate bedroom and bathroom, which were very nicely decorated and clean. The suite had 2 large TVs with a good selection on international channels, including the UK's Sky News - I just mention this small point because all other hotels/B&B's we stayed at in South Africa had very limited number of TV channels.

We arrived at the hotel early eveing after a very long drive from Oudtshoorn and were salivating over the prospect of a nice dinner! Originally we'd planned to drop the bags at the hotel and drive into town, but it was getting late and we were really too tired to do this. We naturally assumed that a hotel of the Protea's size would provide a decent on-site restaurant or two but were really disappointed to see what (limited) options were available. The main restaurant was only doing a buffet (which we try to avoid at all costs), and the bar area we were directed to as an alternative was more like a nightclub with extremely loud music, hardly a pleasant atmosphere for a nice dinner. Very irritated about this, we went back to the room and ordered room service. This was actually pretty good when it turned up, but I would not stay in this hotel again due to the lack of restaurant facilities and slightly inconvenient location out of town, with no restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gordon2112
Reviewed 23 November 2008

I stayed here for a conference, based on the recommendation of the conference organisers. The good news first. The rooms are fantastic. I had a lounge, kitchenette and a bedroom, with great views of nearby mountains and vineyards.

The hotel, however, felt like a prison. If you don't have your own transport, which I didn't, then you are basically stuck on a concrete business park with NO access to amenities, services or shops outside of the hotel. What is the point of a kitchenette with a toaster, for example, if you can't buy a loaf of bread within walking distance of the hotel?

The biggest complaint I have is this - I tried to organise a taxi to nearby-ish (not walkable!) Stellenbosch. The reception staff could only point me to the hotel's 'transport service' (read one man and his very expensive, rip-ff van). I paid something like 150 rand EACH WAY. The driver basically discouraged me from looking for an alternative transport option back to the hotel (though I did see a couple of taxis around town). I also had to give him a definitive time to be picked up from the town centre, as he was busy elsewhere on that day.

Ridiculous service. Why doesn't or can't the hotel provide an inexpensive shuttle service into town?

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank sunsets1011
Reviewed 3 October 2008

Staying over new year, we had a ball in this hotel. We had a hire car, however, the hotel were able to organise a very friendly taxi for wine tours and journeys into town for the evening.
Hotel is surrounded by vineyards and several tours can be taken on foot.
Main restaurant does a good breakfast in a very pretty dining room, window seats are magic!
Black bull? bar also does excellent snacks and BBQ food in the evenings, music sometimes a bit loud, but maybe I'm too old.
Pool area is quite small, and got very busy, wasn't really a downside for us, as we were not really there on a pool type holiday, but I could see how it would be a problem if you were.
Staff were all brilliant, happy for us to move for a room with evening sun, and fantastic for helping with all our little queries.
Rooms are laid out in a motel type layout away from the central building. This suited us as there was no noise. Room was spotless and had large living room and nice large bedroom and bathroom.
Great great holiday.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2008

stayed here a few times now and cant fault it except the shutting of the bar,when you've been out all day and you want a nice drink especially the designated driver you get back and the bar shuts at ten.
not sure what this is all about as its not a young revellers place to stay and drink to the early hours just a decent time maybe an hour longer,come on protea this is 2008

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family