I must disagree with those reviewers who say that the Lanzaerac has great food - it is truly awful.
We stayed at the Lanzerac for 3 nights in their Royal Pool Suite in early Dec. I must admit that the room was fantastic; it had just been redecorated, was very large and had a nice private pool and courtyard. There were a few teething problems with the room though; there was no safe installed and the fridge stopped working. However, a call to maintenance fixed them promptly.
The worst thing was the restaurant which is classed as "fine dining". It is not. Many holiday brochures say that the Lanzerac has two restaurants. Its does not - it has one with multiple seating areas. So no matter whether you sit on the terrace on in the main dining room, the food is the same.
Firstly, presentation. The place mats were all chipped and damaged, glasses scratched and cutlery old. Not a good first impression for a so called fine dining establishment.
But the worst by far was the food. Some examples of how inept it was: the blue fin tuna sashimi came out as tasteless tuna carpaccio; the scallops were cooked so much they were like rubber and were drowned in masses of green gloop; and my wife's champagne and lemon jelly came out bright green !! (Obviously the chef had a lot of green food colouring that he needed to get rid of !) Anyway, it is a truly dreadful place. This was compounded by staff who whilst helpful where generally useless with misread orders and slow service.
So don't eat there at all. We were terribly disappointed as we had stayed in Cape Town a couple of years before and had great food at the Cape Grace and at various places on the V&A Waterfront.
After the Lanzerac we moved to Plettenberg and to the fabulous Plettenberg Bay Hotel. This has fantastic food and is well worth a visit.
My tip for the future: if you like good food then avoid hotels without the Relais et Chateau award - you will only be disappointed. As for the Lanzerac – you can do much, much better. Avoid.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- CURRENTLY CLOSED FOR RENOVATION Set in the heart of a 155ha working wine estate, on the outskirts of picturesque Stellenbosch, the historic 300-year-old Lanzerac Hotel & Spa is the perfect base from which to explore SA’s most famous winelands. With just 48 luxurious bedrooms, this 180-year-old Manor House exudes an air of intimacy and provides the ultimate in personalized service.The hotel’s fine-dining restaurant with several different dining areas offers guests a wide choice of culinary styles. Guests end their evenings over coffees, liqueurs, cognacs and cigars enjoyed either in the trendy Esquire Whiskey & Cigar Bar or in the elegant Craven Lounge with its genuine antiques and authentic Cape Dutch architecture. Whilst the historic Manor House provides an ideal venue for private in-or-outdoor conferences and functions, the picturesque setting of the Manor Lawns offers the perfect opportunity for exclusive outdoor events and lavish weddings. Leisure activities include swimming in one of the hotel’s 3 outdoor pools, golfing, hiking and mountain biking, wine tasting and cellar tours. Treatments at the world-class Lanzerac Spa & Wellness Center take place against a stunning backdrop of mountains and vineyards, ensuring you leave feeling relaxed and rejuvenated. The spa has recently added the revolutionary “Dr.Fish” Therapy to its repertoire, where tiny fish are utilized to exfoliate the skin and give it a micro-massage. Come and experience true South African heritage, first-class service and luxury, superior pampering and wellness! We’ve been preparing for your arrival for over 300 years! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Lanzerac Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lanzerac Manor And Winery Hotel Stellenbosch
- Lanzerac Manor And Winery Stellenbosch