“Somewhat disappointing”

Lanzerac Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Stellenbosch
“Somewhat disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

Beautiful location, however the rooms are very tired. Staff not particularly accommodating. Wifi in room not working. Parking is a mile off. They offer a valet service but the guy is slow and hard to find. Technically 5 star, but for the price you can definitely do a lot better.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Zack B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Sale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

We stayed at the Lanzerac for the start of our Honeymoon. I emailed in advance to request petals on arrival and selected a bottle of a cap classique after being given a list of options.

The room we were given was fabulous, huge and even had under floor heating. And it was ready at around half nine in the morning (!) when we arrived which was very impressive. What a great start to our HM!

The Hotel is lovely. All the staff were lovely. We couldn't have been more pleased with our stay.

James, one of the chauffeurs was very helpful also. We got to know him well during our stay. He took us on one day around five different vineyards (which we highly recommend if you prefer not to be bused around the different estates) and numerous visits into Stellenbosch.

Any minor questions or queries were quickly and efficiently dealt with by front of house.

The breakfast staff were great. We liked the springboks shirts they wore on the days they were playing at the same time as breakfast!!

We would both highly recommend the Hotel and area which is also beautiful for anyone considering staying.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

The location of the hotel is spectacular in the winelands. The hot weather helped and allowed me to recharge my batteries in the Spa and do the Celler Tour and wine tasting.
Two excellent wines are Cabernet Sauvignon and the Sauvignon Blanc. Little tip is to buy your wine here and take it to the restaurant for dinner. Two people stand out Elvis in the bar for his service and the waitron Basil Pesto in the main restaurant.The main restaurant and quality of food is superb. I would highly recommend this hotel and Spa and will be going back in the near future.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra for the Deluxe rooms
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

We have just spent 4 superb nights at this beautiful old Cape Dutch Hotel.
The service was amazing - the rooms were just terrific - the breakfast buffets have to be seen to be believed and the dining room service was the best that I have ever experienced - nothing was too much trouble for the staff. We loved them!!
We also enjoyed the very sumptious Sunday Lunch buffet - the array of food was quite stunning and delicious.
The grounds were immaculate and the views of the vineyards and the surrounding mountains were quite breathtaking.
We visit Cape Town every year and I can't wait to go back to Lanzerac again.
My compliments to the management and staff - they all deserve our compliments

Room Tip: Rooms 114 and 115 were just fabulous
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

I stayed at Lanzerac for a weekend in Aug. 11 based on a recommendation from a South African friend who said a stay here was a must. Overall, I had a very nice time. At one time, this hotel must have been the height of grandeur. The grounds are lovely, tucked in amongst mountains. But given that the hotel is a 5-star, I was disappointed by the cleanliness of my bathroom and the indoor pool at the spa. Also, by the discoloration of the water. (I was even served discolored tap water in The Governor's Hall, which is a fancy restaurant. When I asked for a small bottle of water, they wouldn't accommodate -- they only had large bottles, which is too much for one person.) Also: I had quite a bit of trouble getting my reservations taken care of at Lanzerac. They didn't respond to my initial emails asking to reserve a room, so I made my reservation by calling. And for the spa, even though I had confirmed a reservation for a massage by email, they didn't have me on the schedule when I arrived for my treatment. It turned out they did have someone available who could do it, but it was a little unrattling.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

Located just out of Stellenbosch, the whole estate is a gem itself. We had a lovely modern and spacious room with a little terrace overlooking the vineyards. Upon arrival my partner and I received a glass of Rosé wine and later complimentary snacks were served in our room. Two bars invite with greadt design and a great variety of drinks and whiskys.
I can definitely recommend the Spa, especially the massages.
The food quality at dinner was okay, but wether special nor innovative. The waiters deifinitely could use some training as they were not helpful with questions regarding the menu and winelist. Breakfast awaits with a nice and large buffet and a selection of hot dishes.
A deifinitive must is the wine tasting and the cellar tour. Perfect passion and expertise (ask for Jason) and excellent wines will ensure a unique experience. Try the chocolate and wine pairing!
Last but not least, front desk was very helpful but messy. They read out the full price to me and my partner even though I had told them that I was inviting my partner for our anniversary. The next day at breakfast we were asked twice to immediately pay the Spa services as the Spas would close soon even though we had already done so and they had mistaken us for another couple.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luk4000
Luanda, Angola
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

Having lived in this area for 2 years, it is always good to go back. I have recently spent there a week, though it was a business trip.
Very calm and peaceful location with a nice view of the mountain.
Rooms are very spacious and staff were extremelly helpful and friendly.
Noticed that my room did not have a safe deposit box, called the reception to let them know, and immediately the following day it was fixed.
The food is good but could have definitely be better

• Stayed July 2011