For a venue like Lanzerac, one would expect a little better.
We went as a largish group (+- 20) for a farewell afternoon tea. 3 of us got stuck in a meeting & were about 15 - 20 minutes late. By then everyone had gotten their tea/coffee. Well, trying to get us some too was near-impossible - although they clearly saw us no one bothered to come & ask if we needed any. With such a large group I understand it can be difficult especially at lunchtime but then why not just provide large urns where you can get your own tea & coffee. And don't advertise that you welcome group teas when you can't cope - we did book ahead, after all.
No water on table - it had to be asked for & took ages to come, & then was just plonked down.
The food was very little, very bland, & I know afternoon tea should just be small but this was really a bit ridiculous. Bread on sandwiches was dry as was the chocolate cake. Apparently the carrot cake was good - we wouldn't know since there wasn't enough to go around.
It would all have been acceptable if not for the pathetic service (& it's not the 1st time I've been at the Lanzerac & had bad service; it's the 3rd & it's always the same). Unhelpful, unfriendly, very slow. Come on Lanzerac: I know it's lunchtime but then you need to get more staff! The restaurant was packed & it was the middle of the week so you clearly need to hire more people.
I hope this beautiful wine farm isn't going the way of so many others - overconfident because it's so attractive that they don't feel they need to make an effort.
Pull up your socks guys!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of a 155ha working wine estate, on the outskirts of picturesque Stellenbosch, the historic 300-year-old Lanzerac Hotel & Spa is the perfect base from which to explore SA’s most famous winelands. With just 48 luxurious bedrooms, this 180-year-old Manor House exudes an air of intimacy and provides the ultimate in personalized service.The hotel’s fine-dining restaurant with several different dining areas offers guests a wide choice of culinary styles. Guests end their evenings over coffees, liqueurs, cognacs and cigars enjoyed either in the trendy Esquire Whiskey & Cigar Bar or in the elegant Craven Lounge with its genuine antiques and authentic Cape Dutch architecture. Whilst the historic Manor House provides an ideal venue for private in-or-outdoor conferences and functions, the picturesque setting of the Manor Lawns offers the perfect opportunity for exclusive outdoor events and lavish weddings. Leisure activities include swimming in one of the hotel’s 3 outdoor pools, golfing, hiking and mountain biking, wine tasting and cellar tours. Treatments at the world-class Lanzerac Spa & Wellness Center take place against a stunning backdrop of mountains and vineyards, ensuring you leave feeling relaxed and rejuvenated. The spa has recently added the revolutionary “Dr.Fish” Therapy to its repertoire, where tiny fish are utilized to exfoliate the skin and give it a micro-massage. Come and experience true South African heritage, first-class service and luxury, superior pampering and wellness! We’ve been preparing for your arrival for over 300 years! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Odigeo and Travelbag so you can book your Lanzerac Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lanzerac Manor And Winery Hotel Stellenbosch
- Lanzerac Manor And Winery Stellenbosch