We stayed at the hotel for two nights over Valentines day weekend. The hotel is indeed beautiful and the rooms are OK, although well short of 5 star quality.
However we had a littany of problems
The first evening we ate in on the terrace (rather oddly all three restauarants serve the same menu) the service was slow and there was a marked absence of management, with no explanation of the problem. The food when it finally arrived was luke warm and disappointing.
The second night, Valentines, again booked on the terrace, thinking it had been a one night aberration. It soon became clear it was not. After three hours by which time we had been served a starter, i asked to see the Manager, The Food and Beverage Manager duly appeared and when asked where the problem lay said the problem was the 'the guests'.
I then asked to see the General manager the following morning who at the last moment was called away to an urgent meeting with the owner. It is too much to hope he was going to lose his job!
To finally put the icing on the cake as we checked out at 11 we found that the sprinklers were programmed to come on at that time, which made it impossible to leave the room without waterproofs. The path that leads to the car park was similarly cut off by sprinklers in action
Overall my impression is that the staff try quite hard but that the management lack competence and clearly could not care less
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of a 155ha working wine estate, on the outskirts of picturesque Stellenbosch, the historic 300-year-old Lanzerac Hotel & Spa is the perfect base from which to explore SA’s most famous winelands. With just 48 luxurious bedrooms, this 180-year-old Manor House exudes an air of intimacy and provides the ultimate in personalized service.The hotel’s fine-dining restaurant with several different dining areas offers guests a wide choice of culinary styles. Guests end their evenings over coffees, liqueurs, cognacs and cigars enjoyed either in the trendy Esquire Whiskey & Cigar Bar or in the elegant Craven Lounge with its genuine antiques and authentic Cape Dutch architecture. Whilst the historic Manor House provides an ideal venue for private in-or-outdoor conferences and functions, the picturesque setting of the Manor Lawns offers the perfect opportunity for exclusive outdoor events and lavish weddings. Leisure activities include swimming in one of the hotel’s 3 outdoor pools, golfing, hiking and mountain biking, wine tasting and cellar tours. Treatments at the world-class Lanzerac Spa & Wellness Center take place against a stunning backdrop of mountains and vineyards, ensuring you leave feeling relaxed and rejuvenated. The spa has recently added the revolutionary “Dr.Fish” Therapy to its repertoire, where tiny fish are utilized to exfoliate the skin and give it a micro-massage. Come and experience true South African heritage, first-class service and luxury, superior pampering and wellness! We’ve been preparing for your arrival for over 300 years! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK) and Travelbag so you can book your Lanzerac Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lanzerac Manor And Winery Hotel Stellenbosch
- Lanzerac Manor And Winery Stellenbosch