“Absolutely wonderful experience”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Absolutely wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2011

We stayed for 2 nights at Lanzerac. On arrival we were welcomed with a glass of wine while checking in. It all occurred nice and quickly without any problems. We were escorted to our room, which was hidden at the back, providing a nice peaceful location. The room was perfect and spacious with a magnificent bathroom and a great view from the french-doors of the mountains and some of the vineyards.

We explored the grounds and were amazed how wonderful the scenery was. The hotel was preparing for a wedding and it was clear why the couple had chosen it as a venue. With the blue sky, green grass, white buildings and lovely gardens it was ideal.

Meal wise we were not disappointed. We only enjoyed one night's dinner in the restaurant, my fiance enjoying a nice steak and I the wildebeast. The food was delicious, the service was quick, although the dinning room was a bit hot. Breakfast the two days were great, with a good cold selection from the buffet and some nice hot options from the menu.

A cellar tour and wine tasting was included with the stay, however we had to pay to use the spa facilities. The only part of the stay that I can really criticise, is the farm's wine. It was above average for South African wine, with the red better than the white.

Definitely recommended!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Dubai
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

We spent Christmas Day at Lanzerac Manor and it was a really disappointing experience! This hotel has no atmosphere or "warmness" and stands like an old dusty lady! We checked in early afternoon and were only offered the remains of a 150 persons buffet, totally disgusting presentation and products not fresh anymore. It was our Christmas day. Service was not good at all, no pool attendant, no pool towels, terrace chairs had no cushions and table was covered with dust.... Cellar was closed because Christmas Day, no wine tasting either for the same reason... All the staff looked very unhappy to be there on that day!!! I would not recommend to stay in this hotel till they considerably improved their service/decoration or change their price... The price they are charging is far from reflecting the standard of service of the hotel (1400 rd/person!!!). We have been expats for the last 20 years and we do travel A LOT. That's our worst hotel of the whole trip in South Africa and maybe price/service the worst of all we tried. Definitely avoid!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank KeliDubai
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2010

We stayed 2 nights after flying all night from London. We had arrived at Cape Town in the morning and as we felt so ragged after the flight, we checked in hoping we could have our room. We were told it would be ready in 30 mins which we thought acceptable as we were so early. In fact, they had our room ready after just 10 mins. The service was exemplorary. Our room was very large with its own private balcony and truly spectacular views of the mountains. It was just the perfect place to recover from the flight.
I don't recognise some of the restaurant reviews as the food and service was great. There was a conference going on while we were there which rather spoiled the romantic atmosphere but it wasn't too bad. Indeed, initially, we were told that there was no room in the restaurant and we'd have to eat at the bar. But when we arrived, they apologised that there had been an error and we would eat in the restaurant after all.
The tour of the wine cellars is short and sweet to say the least (lasted 15 mins), but as residents, we were given a free wine tasting session. The breakfast buffet is a good standard but not spectacular.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
western cape
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

Lanzerac Manor is a collection of historic Cape Dutch buildings in a glorious setting. Our 1-night stay was a birthday treat for a spa-lover (me!), so it was disappointing to arrive mid afternoon looking forward to a swim and sauna to be told that the spa closes at 1pm on Sundays. Our room was quite nice but not 'wow' as it should have been for such a high quality hotel. And niggly things caught the eye like scuffed furniture and biscuit wrappers in flower beds on our terrace. Hot water ran out after one bath, at which point husband rang reception. To their great credit, they moved us to an extremely smart suite. Sadly, Lanzerac continued to fall short though. Our evening meal was pretty ordinary, though service very attentive. Breakfast buffet only OK, and no fresh orange juice and foul coffee. Service fell by the wayside a bit at breakfast.
The spa treatments were fun and staff very nice, but as the pool heating had broken down we never did get that swim ...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2010

We've stayed at Lanzerac twice before our recent visit in February and absolutely loved it. I was a little disappointed this time however. Not with the hotel but the restaurant actually.

Lanzerac is a five star establishment. It's the Grand Dame of Stellenbosch. And it still has plenty of its old world charm, the porters, the reception. Everyone was amazingly attentive and friendly. Our room was wonderful, next to the pool. When I think back now I have to say that this was five star through and through.

However, the restaurant was really a big let down. I don't know if we were just unlucky, but both meals we had was unacceptable.

February is a hot month, so we sat outside on the terrace for lunch and I ordered a salad, which in retrospect I should have sent back when it was placed in front of me, but I thought maybe it was just the heat. The leaves were all wilted and droopy. Bad salad can make you really ill, trust me on this. I found that out later that afternoon.

The next evening we had dinner in the restaurant and this is how it went:
The sommelier was great. He advised on just the right wine for the meal and we had a taste before we decided. We placed our order and settled back with our wine and waited... and waited... and waited. People who sat down after us were finished with their main meals and we still waited. Eventually we flagged a waiter down and his first words were, are you ready for dessert? To their credit they apologised profusely and rushed to get our meal out. But by then it was already very late and we didn't enjoy it. I'd also have expected at least a coffee on the house for the mix up but nothing.

The restaurant really spoiled things for us. I would definitely NOT recommend it. Which is a pity as it is in such a beautiful setting.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2010

Lovely place, great service and fantastic food. Only disappointment while we were there was the weather...!

I notice a few reviews with shakey service, however, while we were there we received nothing but excellent service. Only stayed the 1 night but wish we stayed longer.

I was not in the best of shapes upon arrival after a pretty rough night with food poisoning in Cape Town. Nevertheless I wanted to try the food and we went for the 3 course meal. We ordered and after receiving the starter I knew there was no way I was going to be able to eat anymore. As a result I asked if I could cancel my order and just order a drink instead while my girlfriend ate her meal. The waiter said no problem at all and promptly cancelled the order. The manager then asked if I was ok and asked if there was anything he could do, he then arranged for a complementary freshly squeezed orange juice with compliments and told me not to worry about the meal cancellation. I have to say the service was first rate and I was fully expecting them to charge me for the main course as they must have made a start on it. Not the case at all and the fresh OJ certainly helped.

Would love to visit again one day to fully experience the food and fine wine. It was in a beautiful location and 1 night was simply not enough. I would have no hesitation in returning back there one day.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the end of our holiday in South Africa and were not disappointed. The hotel has obviously been refurbished recently, with an impressive reception area and the Governor's Hall dining room is stunning. Our bedroom was massive with an equally sized en suite.

Food and service was so good and great value that we cancelled another restaurant and ate both nights in the hotel.

Access to the Estate Wine Tasting is free and and a very short stroll from the hotel reception.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple