“A world away”

Ranked #35 of 112 Stellenbosch B&B and Inns
Cape Town
“A world away”
Reviewed 14 December 2012

They say a change is as good as a holiday. I couldn't take a holiday, so I did the next best thing - I booked myself into the Vine Manor House for a change of scenery (yes, even Capetonians need a change from time to time!). Just 45 minutes from my front door, this country retreat was a world away from the pressures & tedious sameness of my everday life. Beautifully furnished rooms nourished my need for aesthetic pleasure, and early morning jogs through the adjacent strawberry field rejuvenated my spirit. Our hostess's charm and flexibility completed the experience for me. A thoroughly recommendable retreat from the rat race.

Room Tip: Perfect for honeymooners and couples.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
henley
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I spent 5 days at In the Vine combining business with the chance to explore some of the highlights of the region. The In the Vine Manor House is a delightful country lodge with large en-suite rooms each decorated with a tasteful and personal touch by the owners; it also has a delightful private swimming pool in a beautifully maintained garden for guests to enjoy after a day's sightseeing.
The setting, location and views of the Helderberg Mountains, False Bay and Table mountain are spectacular and In the Vine proved to be the perfect base from which to explore the winelands of Stellenbosch & Franschoek, as well as the spectacular coast line of False Bay, Cape Point and even whale watching at Hermanus (where a huge whale and calf were playing off shore while I swam on one of the beaches - just amazing).
I also enjoyed an excellent breakfast and dinner at the In the Vine Restuarant where the staff were very welcoming and the thatched roof venue and mountain views across the lawn made for memorable meals.
Without doubt - go there if you can!

Room Tip: Each room is en-suite and has its own individual character - spacious, airy and wonderfully comforta...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mickydenehy
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I was there on my first business trip where I needed to be near Cape Town, Stellenbosch and Somerset West. I went before with with my husband and loved it, so did he, hence my reason to go back. I am now arranging to have a family reunion next year for 12, because I loved it so much, also excellent value for money.

Well what more can I say. It exceeded all my expectations both the first time and this time where I was on my own. luxury accomodation, fantastic food, a view that is breathtaking and lastly a beautiful people. It was only 30 mins drive from Cape Town airport where I was picked up. I was made to feel very much at home from the moment I arrived. I am used to staying in Hotels but I must say I much preferred this experience. You could relax, fish in the dam go on beautiful walks without having to get into a car, fantastic restaurant on the door step and golf (very necessary) very near. Stellenbosch, which is a must is also very near. ( I wish I had had time to do all this, but I was only there for a 5 day business trip.)

When my husband and I first went to South Africa, we were both a little apprehensive as not sure on safety etc but security is very high with 24 hours security guards that live on site, I was never worried at any time during my trip. Whilst I was here this time, I met some people who were on a bespoke holiday that Teresa (one of the owners) had organised and they loved it, taken to all the fantastic places, and I believe it was an all inclusive package, they also could not speak highly enough about the place and places they had been taken to and will be going back next year.

The only negative was it took me 2 days to work out how to drain the water from the sink!!!!! I thought it was broken but found out that all you need to do is simply push the plug down and the water comes out!!! I had to laugh, so Teresa it may be you should let us simple English know how it works when you show them around!

FANTASTIC TIME. Thank you so much for making my stay so comfortable and relaxing. Even my clients enjoyed coming.

For all who are interested, its good for honeymoons, family, couples reunions, you name it, I went on business but will be back. Lots to do, including eating in a tree and having your face beautifully painted, lovely experience.

I am also very happy to speak or write to anyone who wants more detail and no, I am not on commission but when I love something I want everyone to know about it. This is the first time (other than writing a short comment on their site) I have ever written a comment about a place my email is shayne@Jenika.co.uk Try it, you will not regret it!
Shayne

Room Tip: All of the rooms are of a very high standard with their own bathroom, there are two rooms that share...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Stellenbosch
Reviewed 31 August 2012

The problem is this is a great setting but it is a huge cavernous venue that seems to have been designed only for wedding parties. The lunch menu is unadventurous (toasties>>>>) and frankly there is so much more they could do with this setting it is sad. If you have youngsters it is ok because they have mini golf and stuff but it is such a waste given the location. only go if you can't think of somewhere else. Sorry......