“A lovely place to eat at my hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Helena's

Helena's
Ranked #5 of 244 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Helena's Restaurant at Coopmanhuijs aims to serve heritage food with finesse, often with subtle twists in the detail, thereby turning the familiar into the spectacular. The menu is designed to reflect the bounty of the Boland, with specific emphasis on freshness and food provenance - the "from where" and "by whom" of locally sourced (often artisanal) ingredients.
lincolnshire, England
“A lovely place to eat at my hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I was staying at the hotel on a business trip and decided to eat there on the first night due to tiredness and ease of adding it to the bill. I normally walk out to different restaurants when travelling to get some local colour. I have always been advised to choose a restaurant with 3-4 different selections for each course rather than a huge list which indicates lots of chilled or frozen meals. This restaurant met that criteria and when I looked at the menu, I was spoiled for choice.
I had the soup and the lamb on the first night and did not have room for a pudding. The quality of the food was excellent and the staff were very helpful; to all of the diners. I enjoyed it so much that I ate there for the rest of my trip, 3 days, and chose all of the non-veggie options on the menu.
The only dish I did not particularly enjoy was the local speciality, Cucumber bake, which was a complimentary side dish.
The steak was particularly fine and every meal washed down with a glass of local wine. What a treat. :-)

• Visited June 2014
Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

1 Thank yorkshireman abroad
Ma-Afrika, Manager at Helena's, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear yorkshireman abroad,

Thank you for the positive feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Helena’s Restaurant.

We value all of our guest’s comments highly as it is important for improving our services and product.

We hope to welcome you back soon. Thank you once again for sharing your experience.

NE US
“Surprisingly good dinner at an unassuming restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We both had a vegetable or squash soup of the day that was good, but a bit too thick. I had a great risotto with mushrooms. The mushrooms were not cooked with the risotto, which is what I had expected, but once I mixed them together it was great: one of my best dishes in 11 days. My wife enjoyed her roasted quail. The portions were quite large so there was no room for dessert.

Visited May 2014
Ma-Afrika, Manager at Helena's, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Bondsammax,

Restaurant Management
“Mezze platter highlight of meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel and made use of the special offer to have a two course meal, Mezze platter and bottle wine for only R350 extra. This was very good value for money. The Mezze platter was delicious. I especially liked the eggplant fritters, but also had roasted red peppers, snoek pate, pork belly deep fried balls and a selection of breads. I had the lamb shanks and my husband had the fillet, both very tasty. I had the cheese plate for dessert and my husband had the milk tart panna cotta. It had a lovely flavor, but my preference would be to either have milk tart or vanilla panna cotta. The combination did not work so well for me.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Ma-Afrika, Manager at Helena's, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Anita M,

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Heavenly experience!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

It is very comforting to know that there are still restaurants in the world who are able to offer top class quality at a very affordable price. I really had a heavenly experience at Helena's restaurant. It was my first time dinning there, and I am definitely going back there soon.

Ma-Afrika, Manager at Helena's, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Franine89,

Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
“Cozy Sunday night at the Log Fire”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

We looked for a fire on a chilly Sunday evening to have a glass of wine and a light snack / meal. I thought of Helena's seeing that I have never been there as a local of Stellenbosch. We sat in the living room couch area with a cozy fire and there was 2 other guests there. We opted for a bottle of wine instead, seeing that the Thelema Cabernet Sauvignon was very reasonably prices for in a restaurant. We then ha a cheese board and then the Mezze Platter to share. It was very nice to sit informally on the couches and chat. This place will definitely see me again in the winter....the bar also has a good selection of whiskeys and a nice atmosphere. The rest of the menu looked pricy....but for drinks and light meals this is great as a visitor that is welcome inside one of the best hotels in Stellenbosch.

Ma-Afrika, Manager at Helena's, responded to this review, 19 May 2014