“Appalling service, overpriced tasting, pretentious setting and living off it's reputation”
Review of Spier Wine Farm

and up
Vine Hopper: Hop-On Hop-Off Wine Tour - Southern Route
Ranked #5 of 143 things to do in Stellenbosch
More attraction details
Owner description: Spier is one of the oldest wine farms in South Africa, with a recorded history dating back to 1692. Spier's winery has won multiple awards in recent years, including Producer of the Year (Mundus Vini, Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show 2011). We also performed exceptionally at the 2011 International Wine and Spirits Competition (five Best in Class Gold medals and two trophies), and were the top performing SA winery at Concours Mondial de Bruxelles for three consecutive years. The Spier cellar has ISO 22000 certification, is Fair Trade accredited, organically certified and follows the Integrated Production of Wine (IPW) criteria.
Henlow, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I was taking a group of international students to Cape Town and wanted to stop by and give them a taste of the Stellenbosch before heading off on our way. I thought Spier would be good as it's close to the highway, has the bird outreach and is a well known brand. I must say I was very let down by the way we were treated. After seeing the birds we headed to the tasting room, were directed to a table and informed on the prices of tasting (around 15-20 ZAR a basic wine). This was far more than any other wine tasting I've experienced anywhere in South Africa - and there are much better wines on offer elsewhere. When I inquired about the possibility of buying wine and cancelling out this fee (which is standard in EVERY other winery I've visited) I was told you must spend several thousand rand each. I was shocked by this as we had a large group and potentially a lot of business for them, I know I would have bought at least a couple of bottles myself.

As we were already there and had no time to visit elsewhere I thought we'd give it a go in any case - but no one came to serve us - I'd already mentioned we didn't have that long on the way in but this was ignored. Finally after waiting for around 15 mins we'd had enough and decided to leave, only to have our exit blocked by the manager who accused us of stealing our wine tasting. She said our glasses were dirty and we must paid, unless one of us had breathed on one I'm afraid she was very much mistaken. She was extremely rude and refused to hear how we'd been ignored. I will never return to the estate and I will never take another group of students there, furthermore since that day I've made a point of choosing any other wine on the menu or in the store I can find. There are much more welcoming places in the town and South Africa has much more to offer winewise than Spier. I only hope others haven't been put off SA wine in the same way my students could have been by this experience, a true letdown.

Visited December 2012

27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Good Tasting Choice”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We hired a guide for wine tasting in Stellenbosch and one of the stops was Spier. And this was a good choice.
The winery is located on a large tract with a small lake and inviting grounds for a picnic or just walking around.
We had a personalized tasting conducted by a very knowledgeable staff member.
There was also a large tent with African crafts for those trinket hunters.
The wine was excellent and was glad to see that Spier wine is available in my hometown.

Sydney, Australia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Nice”
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

The Spier Wine Farm was the host hotel for the World Airline Road Race held in Oct 2013. My family stayed for 3 nights and we had a very enjoyable time. My wife, sister and mum loved the day spa. We liked the wildlife sanctaury, which had an array of bird life. Like vultures, many varieties of eagle and owl. The food was okay but nothing to rave about. Rooms are spacious are very African.

London
329 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 578 helpful votes
“Good food and wine”
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

By far the best winery on our vine hopper trip.  Gloria was very good and took us through all of the wines and we had a tasty cheese platter with some olives in the bright tasting room.

We also had lunch in the restaurant.  I had a burger which was excellent! Francois was our waiter and was amazing.  We only had a limited amount of time so he told us what we could feasibly have and made sure it came out straight away.  He was also very patient with the drunken antics of one of our group at the end of the meal too.  I was really impressed by how he handled the situation.

London
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“3 x Spier wine with chocolate - Amazing!”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My wife and I visited Spier after recommendation from our guide. We arrived about 11am on Sunday 27th October and immediately sat down for a tasting of red (Spier Creative block 3) paired with dark malted cherry chocolate, white (Spier creative block 2) paired with white cardamom and passion fruit chocolate and sparkling wine (spier MCC) paired with white peppered plum chocolate. Our wine guide was excellent and the tasting/pairing was AMAZING ! you must try it if you go there, it's unlike anything we've ever tried before. We immediately ordered the wine for shipment to UK and we purchased the Spier chocolate (as it cannot be purchased elsewhere or exported). This was one of the true highlights of our recent trip to South Africa. We did not spend any time in the grounds etc. as we were doing a tour of Stellenbosch etc that day.