“Very Quaint Hotel”

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Stellenbosch
surrey, b.c.
“Very Quaint Hotel”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The Oude Werf Hotel is very central to the tourist bureau, amazing shops, wonderful restaurants and just down the block from the hotel is a shop that does excellent wine tasting. The staff bend over backwards to help you and are very friendly.

Room Tip: Whenever I travel to various hotels, I always ask to see the room first
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mickey6409
Shayleen V, Manager at Oude Werf Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Mickey,

Thank you for your wonderful post regarding your stay at our hotel!

It is so great to see that you had a pleasant time with us.

Yes, Oude Werf Hotel is centrally located within the heart of Stellenbosch.
It is most definitely one of our strongest attributes along with our staff who work extremely hard to deliver efficient service with a smile.

We hope to see you soon in the future.

Keep well!

Kind Regards,
Shayleen v.d Roll
FRONT OFFICE MANAGER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Gibraltar
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I was extremely disappointed with the standard of bedroom. We stayed in the Oak Apartments and if I had known how poor they were I wouldn't have booked them. On arrival my car was parked for me, the reception, delightful courtyard, pool area and restaurant lead me in to a false sense of security. The decoration in the restaurant was wonderfully quirky, right up my street.
We were lead to our room which was passed all the beautifully decorated rooms over looking the pool though an iron gate, which we had to call a bell to be let in and out, at all times of the day and night. It was a self contained apartment, smelt of damp and was furnished with tatty furniture. It was clean but I felt I was in the workers accommodation.
I asked at reception why there was such a difference in the room I was allocated and the hotels website pictures, I was just told 'I had booked an Oak apartment'
The level of service from all the staff and the lime milk shakes in the restaurant were faultless but after all this is a hotel I'm reviewing.
Location is excellent just don't stay in an Oak Apartment.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Oak Apartments.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank joanne t
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This hotel was very centrally located in Stellenbosch. Easy to walk to some wonderful restaurants and bars, and a great starting place for exploring wine country. We loved that it is very old, which makes it unique. The included breakfast was fabulous, and the pool/courtyard area was lovely. My only recommendation is to make sure you request a renovated room. The "old" rooms are decorated with antiques, and may appeal to some, but the musty smell, and the dingy appearance was quite a turn off for us. We were able to move to a renovated room, which was much more modern and comfortable for us. As someone else mentioned, there are no elevators, so have someone help with your luggage. Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much. I do think that the room you are given could definitely impact how comfortable you are during your stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Haliro
CT
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We had a very nice 2 night stay just last week. The hotel is well located for pleasure travelers with nice cafes, restaurants, galleries, and shops on tree lined streets all in walking distance and a good central spot for jumping out to the vineyards nearby. The staff could not have been more helpful and nicer from check in, to sending champagne and chocolates to the room for our anniversary, to arranging a travel breakfast when we had to leave early in the morning, breakfast service, parking our car, etc.
Our room was very comfortable and functional with a large opening picture window for fresh air and nice bath area. I will comment that some of the modern decorating was not to our taste, it was a bit "out there", but I am sure it appeals to others and it certainly would not stop me from returning or recommending this nice place to stay in Stellenbosch.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WSJ9695
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We all loved this place. I organized a group of 14 people (friends and family) to enjoy the wine region in SA and this was our base hotel.

Located right in the middle of the beautiful town of Stellenbosch it is easy to walk to main attractions. very well located, amazing breakfast included and really comfortable rooms makes a stay there a must. I return there every single time I am in this region.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank David M
melbourne
Reviewed 27 February 2014

A beautifully decorated old hotel which has both positives and negatives.
Positives - aesthetically very pretty, centrally located, attentive staff, lovely restaurant
Negatives - no lifts (find someone to carry your luggage), rooms a bit dingy (but clean), old air-conditioning which was very loud.
We enjoyed it, but I think the room you are given could determine how comfortable your stay is

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mysterymouse
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed in this hotel during a recent visit to South Africa. We had possibly the worst room we ever had in any hotel; the shower was dirty, with black mould on the walls, and the toilet was nearer brown than white. It was dingy. We were in one of the rooms in the old part of the hotel, and it looked as if it was due for refurbishment. The rooms in the newer part looked OK, but we were told that all other rooms were fully booked for the whole of our stay. We have had a refund from the travel company to compensate for the awfulness of the rooms. Breakfast was OK, but the courtyard where we had breakfast could have been a good place to eat but looked a bit neglected. Shame.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room in the old part of the hotel unless it has been refurbished!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends