“Auntumn visit”

Mont Marie Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 258 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: In the lap of casual luxury, Mont Marie offers a unique food, wine and family experience in a spectacular country setting in the heart of the Blaauwklippen Valley. Using only the freshest ingredients, Chef Pieter Vlok adds authentic flavours to a variety of mouth-watering dishes, full of South African personality.
Somerset West, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Auntumn visit”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My vist visit to this beautifully situated modern restaurant was outside and we admired the pretty pond and magnificent mountains. I was diappointed with the duck which was unexciting and dry. However, today on our visit we saw the autumn colours on the farm and we were welcomed in the restaurant by a crackling fire. I was in a larger group this time and we enjoyed various items on the menu including a delicious pot belly pork and the best marrow bone steak sauce my friend has ever eaten.
I also enjoyed the art works on display and the clean moddern atmosphere of the restaurant.
My only criticism is that the waiter served and charged for bottled water without asking us if we would like bottled and not tap water.

1 Thank cellist2014

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Will try again when less busy!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We booked a table for 6 people on Mothers Day so of course the restaurant was very busy. The weather was crisp and sunny and at first we were given a table outside on the beautiful verandah with the lovely view. But two of our guests were feeling the chill from the wind so we asked to be moved inside if possible. A table was found for us and we moved inside and then somehow felt rather forgotten. Perhaps moving tables caused the confusion. We had wave our hands and try and get attention and had to remind the staff about our wine order. The white wine arrived but the red wine for one of our guests was forgotten so instead of raising a toast, we had to sit for a while waiting for the red wine to be delivered and that rather spoiled the moment. The waiter seemed unsure when we ordered food from the menu - I suspect he was new or just brought in for the busy day! We ordered soup to start (some of us had the biltong soup and others had the potato and leek soup). We agreed the soup was delicious but portions were too small - just about 3 spoons! Thank goodness for the yummy bread board. Service was slow after that and having arrived at 1.15 pm our main courses arrived at about 2.45 by which time we were v. hungry indeed! However, I can say that the main courses were excellent. My son declared the steak with Bearnaise sauce truly delicious and worth the wait and I enjoyed the tender duck breast. 3 of us had dessert and I had coffee but once again it did involved much waving and signalling and we had to keep asking for what we needed. Perhaps we were in the naughty corner!? with a tip our bill was approx R1750 so allow R300 per head and more if you are all wine lovers! The venue has a light airy feel with modern decor and if the weather allows you to sit on the verandah then you can certainly enjoy the wonderful view. I think perhaps we chose the wrong day for a first visit so I would probably give it another try on a less busy day.

1 Thank Christine L
Johannesburg, South Africa
“A perfect spot to spend a relaxed morning”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We went to Mont Marie for a weekend breakfast. The choice of breakfast dishes was fair but nothing too special (breakfast is probably not what wine estates specialize in anyway). We did enjoy our eggs benedict with parma ham.

However, what this place is a gem for is relaxing. Their patio is really well set out with both dining and relaxing areas. the views from there are really lovely and the restaurant staff is friendly. This is a perfect spot to perhaps take a magazine (or just stare at the view), sit on the couches and have tea, followed by some wine, perhaps more wine, then a snack, some coffee, more wine,....you get the picture!

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Slav103
“Delightful indulgence, a definite Stellenbosch must!”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Had a delightful evening at Mont Marie; splendid setting with amazing views, pleasant and well-trained staff, and finally delicious cuisine. I would highly recommend the duck breast, absolutely phenomenal! Truly enjoyed the evening!

2 Thank Jaun V
Auckland, New Zealand
“I will think twice before returning.”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

A very nice restaurant in a beautiful setting with a wonderful ambiance. he staff is friendly but unfortunately the food was not up to scratch. We had the Pea risotto started which was delicious and other members of our party had the Chicken & Butternut Salad, which they said was also great. I had the Rump steak with Roasted vegetables and to be honest, I could have had a better steak at one of the more well known run of the mill steakhouses at half the price. The sliver of baby marrow and 2 sprigs of Broccoli that had to pass for roasted vegetables was pretty bland. Another member of our party had the Duck Breast and commented that she could not really taste the duck. 2 other members had the Pork Belly and their comment was that they could not taste any apple that was mentioned in the description on the Menu. Then the after dinner coffee came, and we got an unpleasant surprise. The rim under the milk jugs was dirty, and when we mentioned it to a staff member she said that it is supposed to look like that, it is the jugs design, until we showed her the design can be scratched off with a fingernail.

So despite the Beautiful scenery and wonderful views of the mountains and vineyards, I would not go back there because I can get tastier food elsewhere and the cutlery an crockery will most probably be cleaner.

• Visited April 2014