Stellenbosch Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Oude Werf Hotel(Stellenbosch)
Eendracht Hotel(Stellenbosch)
  • Breakfast included
Lanzerac Hotel & Spa(Stellenbosch)
Stellenbosch Lodge(Stellenbosch)
View Hotel
All reviewsgreat locationunderground parkingwithin walking distancemiddle of towncentral locationrestaurants and shopsexcellent hotelnice breakfastclean roomsbeautiful townbusiness tripthe ground floorenjoyed my staypleasant staysouth africacape townapartment
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Spend 1 night at the hotel. Room was very small but adequate for 1 person. Got help to bring my bag up, which was lucky, since the staircase was old and narrow. Persons helping with the bags ( coming and leaving) were very friendly and helpful. More so then the receptionist, at least the one when I checked out. Breakfast in the morning was the best, most varied breakfast I had in ZA. After I finished I walked around to see what the rest of the restaurant looked like. A staff member took time to come over and went to show me the old piece of wall they kept from the original building. After check out I could leave my car in the garage, to explore the area around the Hotel for a while.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights during a wet and cold weekend at this hotel, to celebrate my husbands birthday. We booked about 3 months in advance, but when we arrived to check-in, we were told that they thought we had only booked for 1 night - and blamed me for their mistake! An apology was only offered when we checked out 2 days later. So be careful to take your proof of payment, or you may find yourself in for a shock!

We booked into our double petite room, which really is tiny, but adequate. There were no towels in our room whatsoever, and we had to ask the front desk to send us some. Wifi vouchers are provided, but the coverage is not great. If you are expecting modern facilities, you will be disappointed, as this is a historic hotel. The breakfasts are served at Jan Cats, the adjoining restaurant. There is a buffet of typical breakfast items and while not spectacular, it fills the gap. The hotel is literally in the middle of town and within walking distance to decent restaurants and coffee shops. Parking is provided in the basement, although I heard they don't have enough bays, we didnt experience a problem. I was a little surprised by the front of house staff, as they were not particularly friendly, but the lady who cleaned our room was very accommodating and polite. I have mixed feelings about this hotel - it's quaint and charming, but lacks a sense of client service. With a bit of staff training, I think they could really have a lovely hotel. What a pity.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thirtygirl
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This was my 3rd visit to the hotel, so I knew what to expect. The rooms are small and 2 people in one room is almist impossible. However, staff is friendly, the room is clean and the position in the middle of Stellenbosch is phantastic. To stay here, means to feel Stellenbosch pulse. I will be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Second visit to this hotel. While the first was good, this past weekend I booked it for my 60th birthday celebration and it was most disapointing, if not shocking. Firstly, be very careful when booking a room at this hotel because what you see isn't what you get. In the room advertised as a luxury double, two people can't even move around at the same time. Avoid the 'courtyard' at all costs as it is freezing and the rooms have tiled floors.
To mention a few other things that you old want to know, at 6pm after bathing you find that there are no towels in the room and we told that the staff can't put towels in the room any earlier than then as they are busy. The parking is an absolute disaster with 12 bays for 34 rooms and guests are constantly in reception arguing about the fact that they don't want to park a few hundred meters down the road. The lock on the room door didn't work and most times it took 5 to 10 mins to get in or out.

Finally and probably most importantly, the management is non-existent and the hotel is grossly understaffed. There was on gentleman at reception trying to deal with the room issues, everyone's parking issues, rushing back and forth to open the paking while trying to check guests in and out.

On the positive there was very little on this particular stay except the central location.

If I was ever to go back which is unlikely it would be to an apartment.

This was a major disappointment, staff seemed disinterested except to say that they get complaints about the luxury rooms all the time as well as the parking and accepted that this isn't 'as advertised' on their website.

Room Tip: Choose and apartment. Be aware that you may not get packing. What you see on the Internet may not be what you get!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
jbester002, Manager at Stellenbosch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to offer us your feedback.

I wish to apologize profusely for not meeting your expectations and for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please be assured that each of your issues raised has been addressed and discussed with the relevant departments in order to rectify any shortcomings and prevent these from reoccuring.

We have just recently launched our new website and I acknowledge that the description of the parking facilities might have been unclear and we have undertaken to rectify this immediately.

Parking is extremly challenging in the center of Stellenbosch and we unfortunately have only limited parking bays available in our garage. Should these be fully booked we always assist our guests with alternative secure parking close by.

Please note that we have also sent you further communication regarding your stay by email.

Once again, please accept my sincerest appologies.

Kind Regards
Managment

Reviewed 9 May 2013

This place was really ideal for our stay. It was a nice, old fashioned place, and there was nothing at all to complain about about it. Good breakfast, etc--and a very nice, large bathroom. And a convenient location as well.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback and for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you perceived our hotel as the ideal place for your stay whilst in Stellenbosch.

We hope to be able to welcome you back at our hotel in the future.

Kind Regards