“water leaking bedroom” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hydro at Stellenbosch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stellenbosch
The Hydro at Stellenbosch
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Reading, United Kingdom
“water leaking bedroom”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

I am just back from staying 7 nights at the hydro, my friend and I shared an executive room, which was clean and tidy but pretty dated, however the rains came during my stay and along with that water was leaking from the coving straight on to my headboard. Seemly it's been like that for quite a while but nothing gets done to repair the problem I and my friend between us booked about 20 treatments 9 months ahead, and you would think that they would give you a few treatments each day, however your not told your next day treatments until about 9. PM each evening, a note gets pushed under your door, it says if you wish to change any treatments you need to inform the spa reception desk 24 hrs ahead bit impossible to do that if your only receiving your program the night before. We had a variety of treatments but those that do the booking in of them, are pretty rubbish at it , for instance I informed them as I arrived on sat 4th Jan that we did not wish any treatments on the day we were leaving this being 11th Jan but what do they do book appointments for us on the 11th , some days we were being given 2 of the same treatments such as a swedish massage in the morning again in the evening instead of spreading them over the week. I will add that the therapist Lynn Clark is extremely good at her job, some of the other therapists are not so good and cheat you out of your allocated time, by arriving 5 mins late and finishing a good 5 mins early. The food is fresh and consists of fruit and vegetables only try as they might it became pretty boring. Fish would have been a nice addition to there menu. Your allowed as a resident 3 small glasses of vegetable/fruit juices a day or 1 large glass, the worker behind the serving counter is quite rude to guests whether your staying there or just coming in as a spa day person,I heard a lady asking for a juice she was told in a very unfriendly way that day guests could not have them, the woman offered to pay for it but again in a very of hand way she was told she can't pay or have one. As for me I on one occasion asked the same girl for 1 large juice, and she told me extremely abruptly that I can't come back for any more that day, which I already knew. Also this lady puts out the tea cups for the herbal tea,they serve to residents each evening, you help yourself to the teabag and hot water, on one occasion I asked her for some teabags , she told me that I had to wait till 10 to 7 before she puts them out, again with a very bad attitude, so I waited, 7 pm came still no teabags she could see me sitting there, at 20 past 7 my friend asked for the teabags , with a look that would break glass she put her hand under the counter and produced the teabags, if I was her boss I would fire her,as she is certainly no asset to the hydro, talking about a boss there seems to be no management around in which to air any complaints one might have. I was not expecting a 5 star hotel, I knew it was a health farm but my advise is stay in a good hotel in stellanbosch and come there as a day guest, or if you can find some where else .would I return there again what do you think?

Room Tip: They are all dated and as I said rain came in
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kelly g
Stian T, Manager at The Hydro at Stellenbosch, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Guest

I appreciate your honest, constructive feedback and the very valid points that you have raised. Rest assured that your comments have been addressed with the relevant departments and I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

The roof water leak in your room was an isolated problem and was addressed as a matter of urgency. We strive to blow away each of our guests that visits the Hydro and to let them leave with recharged spirits.

Thank you for taking the time to wright about your experience.

Yours sincerely
Stian Terblanche
Hydro Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Treatments great, but so are the local beauticians treatments in
Stellenbosch. The hydro should have something that is unique which it does not have! Food was average. Had better health food at for example Hoogland health hydro. Rooms average. No tv so one can have a little entertainment at night. Overall boring. Treatments are over at 1 pm then what? Suggest one stays at another hotel in Stellenbosch who will give you must more for your money, and then just go in to this health hydro for treatments daily. If you are wanting to loose weight and be bored then go to this Hydro.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dianne R
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

If u r looking for a hotel where u want tp get away, find yourself, where your health, relaxation and rejuvenation with a healthy vegetarian diet are things that is important to you, then this is the place! Different from ordinary hotels set in the beatifull I'd as valley
The concept for healthy eating and living id excellent, however they can lighten up the rooms a bit more coz it looks a bit dull.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Shaheema
Pretoria, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

It was rainy and cold in Stellenbosch, so I booked a spa treatment and arrived 1 hr early as I was under the impression that I can use the sauna and steam room before the treatment, as is the case at many upmarket spa establishments. However, I was informed that one has to book & pay to use the sauna and steam room as part of a hydrotherapy treatment. The Hydro also switches off the sauna and steam room. And this is an establishment were people book spa retreats for a week or even longer. I assumed that guests then would expect to make use of the sauna and steam room whenever they feel like it.

I think the changing rooms were painted recently as the bathrobe that was in locker 22 smelled so much of paint!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Paarl, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

My husband and I spent two days as day spa guests. We were not thrilled with the rooms when we had gone to have a look, so we decided not to sleep there. They could use some updating. Staff was friendly and helpful. Place was super clean. I enjoyed the treatments though found the basic massages not top notch- for example, body alignment and liquid were great, Swedish massage not very good. It seems the treatments that require more expertise re the ones you should book there. Go to the Delaire if it is just pampering you're after! Ozone treatments were great. Hydro is unique in that it offers colonic irrigation, which is done by a very qualified person. Overall we had a good experience though I think the place could be jazzed up a bit. It was a cold day and felt not so cosy in places there, and the had a few water leak around the building. Food was fine- healthy, tasty, though too much onion for my taste! Don't expect gourmet- it is detox food. It is well prepared, though not in abundance and with health in mind. The juices were delicious and so were the teas. I would go back though only for day spa and only for more specific/ unusual treatments, not simple massages.

Room Tip: Rooms are a bit spartan
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

Have been visiting the Hydro since 2002 and am sad to say that the experience is not as good as it used to be. It now feels soulless, particularly since the recent refurbishments in reception and the waiting areas, which has a cold feeling. Once a health retreat the Hydro seems to be having difficulties rebranding itself as a spa. It now has competition from many good spas in the Winelands and Western Cape, that are more welcoming and with a better ambiance. Treatments and the hydrotherapy section are however excellent and make a visit worthwhile. The predominantly raw food offering is much more limited than previously but fresh juice is now available for breakfast. Set in the beautiful Ida Valley at high altitude the scenery is spectacular and a great location for hiking and meditation. The rooms are comfortable and clean, although a little basic. Since the refurbishment the waiting room chairs have been relocated to the auditorium, improving what was once a drab space.

Room Tip: Look out for special package deals and ask to view room before signing in as some rooms are accessed...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jenny B
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

They have stairs everywhere, two flights to gym and pool and the health section is far away from the rooms. The staff are help but management doesn't seem to care much. Food was good bt do not go there if you need therapeutic help or are ailing.

Room Tip: There are no ground floor rooms and even if you request something particular you probably will not g...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo