“Enjoyable Tasting Experience”

and up
Vine Hopper: Hop-On Hop-Off Wine Tour - Northern Route
Ranked #24 of 140 things to do in Stellenbosch
More attraction details
Owner description: Simonsig Estate upholds the legendary status of pioneering wine excellence shaped by the Malan Family's devotion to quality and innovative winemaking. Named after its dramatic views of the Simonsberg Mountain, the estate is ideally situated in Stellenbosch, South Africa's premier wine region, 45 km east of Cape Town. Tasting & Tours: Taste and learn more about our award winning wines from our knowledgeable team at our tasting room, set amidst the tranquil gardens on the estate. As a founding member of the Stellenbosch Wine Route, Simonsig enjoys widespread popularity and attracts visitors from all over the world. With a cosy fire crackling in the tasting room during winter or flutes of chilled Kaapse Vonkel served on the cool, shady veranda during summer, we welcome our visitors to cellar tour experiences all year round. Opening Hours Tasting and Wine Sales Mon to Fri: 08:30 - 17:00 Saturdays & Public Holidays: 08:30 - 16:00 Sunday: 11:00 - 15:00 Closed on Christmas, New Year's Day & Good Friday Cellar Tours Mon to Fri: 10:00 & 15:00 Saturdays: 10:00 Closed on Sunday, Christmas, New Year's Day & Good Friday
Houston, Texas
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 316 helpful votes
“Enjoyable Tasting Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

Visited this winery a few weeks ago for a tasting. The setting was absolutely gorgeous! We were there on a slow day with only a handful of others on the property. It provided a fun opportunity to chat with two of the workers doing our tasting about a variety of interesting topics. They were very sweet to our 20 month old daughter and let her roam free while we enjoyed our tasting. None of the wines blew us away. There is a restaurant on site but we did not try it. My favorite was probably the Chenin Avec Chene. Overall, it was an enjoyable and intimate tasting experience.

Visited April 2013

• Czech first
birmingham
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

Beautifull place stunning scenery well worth a visit .lovely buildings and courtyard feels very upmarket but is not expensive.About 25 rand for 5 samples of the simonsig range all were lovely .staff were very knowledgeble and friendly ,it's a great way to pass a few hours chilling in the stunning courtyard getting tipsy.All the wines are for sale very cheaply and come in a nice box.Other winery's in area weren't up to this standard so simonsig is worth visiting ,easy trip out from Cape Town following stellenbosh signs. You won't be disappointed wish I could have carried more wine home on plane

Visited March 2013
Brit in France
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Great Wines, Average Visit.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

This is a contrary review, because whilst I think the wines are excellent value for money, and I discovered that I can order them at near South African prices in Europe, which is great, I felt the wine tasting experience was sub par. It was probably all down to the day of the visit which was during the New Year holiday period and it was very busy.

The Tasting room is laid out with tables so that you can take your tasting choices and sit down, relatively comfortably. Unfortunately for us, there was a table of loud drunks (OK, perhaps I'm exaggerating) that prevented me from calmly taking my time to evaluate the wines. Fortunately We could taste outside, where it was adequately quiet, but windy!

We visited a number of properties, including Rust en Vrede, and as far as wines were concerned these were the best.

Visited January 2013
Beaulieu M, Public Relations Manager at Simonsig, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
We would like to thank all Tripadvisor reviewers for their honesty and for sharing their Simonsig Estate experience with the world. You are welcome any time.

Thank you! Merci! Danke!
Sydney, Australia
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Stunning Wine, Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

During our recent stay in Cape Town, we visited Stellenbosch for a day, and toured several wineries.

We had been dining at the City Grill restaurant at the V&A Waterfront, and had befriended its sommelier, Barry, who, like ourselves, loves good wine.

On our second visit to City Grill, upon Barry's recommendation, we ordered a bottle of Simonsig's Redhill pinotage (2009 vintage) over dinner. It was an absolutely stunning wine, and I rank it alongside the best of Australian reds. To my mind, it sits somewhere between Penfolds Bin 389 and Penfolds Grange, both wines I love. Such was the quality of the Redhill pinotage that I ordered a second bottle.

After that experience, we thoroughly enjoyed the Redhill pinotage, and had to have more. I asked Barry for a list of recommended wineries to visit, as we were heading to Stellenbosch the next day.

Simonsig was on the list, and was the winery I wanted to visit most. The winery tour operator we hired booked lunch for us at Simonsig's restaurant.

Upon arrival, the first thing we did was sit down to a fantastically prepared lunch, which was delicious, and included a complimentary glass of Simonsig's Redhill pinotage 2009, the very wine which had so seriously impressed us the night before.

The food was delicious, and the service excellent. We felt we were in good hands, and enjoyed the experience. All of the staff at Simonsig made us feel like we were the most important people to have ever graced the establishment -- always the sign of excellent service.

After lunch, we were fortunate enough to meet Maureen, whom Barry had mentioned the night before. I expressed my impression of the Redhill pinotage, and Maureen indicated that she still had some of the 2006 vintage (which Barry had discussed with us) available. We bought four bottles (the last available, from memory) to bring home. She also opened for us the 2010 vintage, which as I recall wasn't yet available. It, too, was an excellent, well-balanced wine, and one I'd be wanting in our cellar.

Unfortunately we didn't get the opportunity to try any of Simonsig's other wines, as we spent much time over lunch and in discussion with Maureen, and soon had to depart for our next stop.

We were very pleased with the excellent service, and the extremely high quality and good balance offered by the Redhill pinotage. The style is reminiscent of the fine, big Australian reds, and thus appeals to me.

I'd thoroughly recommend Simonsig to any red wine lover planning to visit Stellenbosch. The Redhill pinotage is a must-have in my book. Unfortunately, it's not available in Australia, and currently there isn't an importer.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Xenedis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Poor service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

What a waste. Booked a wine tasting for a group, 11 friends. We felt unwelcome, no inteserest displayed in any of us, had to fetch own drinks at counter, only 6 other people in tasting room, lots of staff standing around. No customer service. We were welcomed with open arms at Beyerskloof and Mulderbosch and will certainly go back with more friends and buy more wine. Simonsig will never see any of us again and we will not recommend the place to anyone.

1 Thank HC-Le-Roux