“disappointed”

Morgenhof Estate
Ranked #59 of 146 things to do in Stellenbosch
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The illustrious Morgenhof Wine Estate is situated on the slopes of the Simonsberg Mountains outside of Stellenbosch, and about 30 minutes drive from Cape Town. This area is renowned for the high quality of its grapes and the distinctive terroir is reflected in the character of its exceptional wines. Owned by Anne Cointreau, Morgenhof Wine Estate dates back to 1692, and consists of 213 hectares of which 78 are under vines, producing approximately 35000 cases of wine a year. This magnificent Wine Farm, including a Wedding and Conference venue offers that old world charm one expects when visiting an historic estate. Our award winning wines combined with a variety of eateries make for an unforgettable day out.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I booked a stay on the estate for one night because I wanted to do a wine tasting
I arrived lunch time and was shown to my room in the manor house. The room was spacious, but looked a bit shabby. The self catering kitchen also looked very tired and the honesty bar was non existing.
The food in the restaurant was very nice and it was very nice to sit in the garden for lunch.
The wine tasting was very disappointing. I got given a list with the wines available and it also had some discription on it, but that was it. Maybe being a single person at the tasting I was not a promising customer.
I had parked my rental car on the estates parking lot on arrival and as I loaded my car the next morning I realized that the car had been broken into (the website claims 24h security) and the car radio and some souvenirs out of the boot were stolen. Everyone was very helpful in calling the police and helping with the rental company and for my inconvenience I was not charged for my stay BUT
since I returned I have asked several times if Morgenhof has some insurance which would compensate me for my loss and damages (souvenirs and fees from the car rental) but I just got completly ignored
so the overall Morgenhof experience is very disappointing

1  Thank Michaela S

Reviewed 27 March 2013

We stopped here en route to Franschhoek. I LOVE wine tasting and could not keep passing wineries without stopping so we pulled in here.

The grounds were nice with great backgrounds for photos. There were few people around. The tasting room was small and overall unappealing. Nothing seemed very "distinct." The wines were average.

The staff was friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

Returned here after four years and felt the place was a bit run down and shabby. They did not really promote the wine tasting which is what we all came for. Dirty tables and very poor service. We were really disappointed on this occasion by the service we received. They seem to depend more on the restaurant and weddings rather than trying to promote their wine tastings. There was no cheese platter available with the wines and the fee is 25 rand for 5 wines. No wines bought because of the overall disappointment of the visit. Really disappointing and wouldn't recommend making the effort to come here.

1  Thank Dawn C
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Here you are able to shade beneath trees and enjoy a wonderful light lunch with great wines. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

A lovely wine estate, but be prepared to take your time over the wine tasting - it took about an hour and we were rather concerned that we might miss our lunch booking - the tasting fee is R20 each for 5 wines. They have some nice wines, but most seemed rather 'young', perhaps because they are used to exporting rather a lot and are not allowing the wines to mature enough. Their Fantail range is good value for money though. Lunch was delightful and reasonably priced, although the menu is not extensive. The service staff were friendly, polite and answered our questions with confidence. Even though we were rather late to lunch we didn't feel rushed and finished our delightful Fantail rose wine in the shade of the gazebo restaurant by 4pm!