“It's like coming home...”

Allegria Guesthouse
Ranked #75 of 116 Stellenbosch B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 December 2012

For the last 5 years or so we have been at the Allegria every time we came to South Africa. It is the cosiest and one of the most beautiful guest houses in this area, the situation among the vineyards with a breathtaking view of the Winelands, the rooms are generous and lovely, a Tuscan touch and earthy colors, our favorite are Lion and Elephant, spacious, elegant open bathroom with free standing bathtub and double shower. Gracious owners Annemarie and Jan spoil their guests - Annemarie with a fabulous breakfast and homemade bread, Jan with their own Shiraz that earned 4* in the Platter in no time!. We love to swim in the extra long pool early in the morning and then go on a walk in the nearby vineyards with the "house dog" who is sweet and kind, just loves going for a walk with any of the guests, totally ignoring guinea fowls, geese and other dogs on the way. A little paradise in a gorgeous part of the country. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Lion and Elephant are the biggest and most expensive rooms but the others are smaller but also very...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 November 2012

Friendly and professional welcome by Annemarie. Very nice building with very large and cosy central section which serves as breakfast area amongst others. It gives out to a large pool area with views on the surrounding vinyards. (Shiraz owned by the Allegria owners)
Nice rooms with all necessary amenities. Free WIFI ! !
Peace and quiet in this place although you hear some traffic noise in the background.
Great breakfast buffet with great variety of food and à la carte if wanted.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I cannot imagine a better place to go to for exploring the Western Cape. It is a beautiful house, the rooms are absolutely great, the view over Stellenbosch is stunning and Annemarie, Jan and their staff - as always - have gone all the way making us feel perfectly at home.

Room Tip: My personal preference goes to the Lion. It is a large, light room which overlooks the garden and po...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We have stayed at Allegria three times over the past 5 years - it's a great place to enjoy all that the Cape Winelands has to offer.
Jan and Annemarie are really good hosts and maintain their very high standards. We have stayed three times in the "elephant" room - some of the others are a bit smaller.
Breakfast is fantastic - the pool is terrific - the whole mood is easy-going.
Oh, yes, they make great wine from their own vineyards!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I stayed here for three days whilst on a business trip and I wish I could have taken my entire family with me! The rooms are beatifully decorated and the attention to detail such as home-made bread and jams at breakfast are a delight. I liked how the hosts make their own wine but also supply that of their neighbours as well. This is a lovely little slice of African paradise and I look forward to returning...

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 September 2012

This is a very hard review to write, as I’m torn. The venue, room, breakfast, view was superb, value for money very good, the owners/managers pleasant, they have a turn down service, which is really nice if you out late, and for these reasons I’m really happy I booked in. However I left Allegria with mixed feelings, which is sad. There is an excellent little restaurant close by called Skildpadvlei, well worth a dinner there, and only 750m away.

Annemarie even stored some goods I had been traveling with and prepared me a take away breakfast for my early morning flight home! The only grey area would be when I asked for an extra blanket. I went into the office area, and the sweet dog growled at me, which made me very uneasy. After walking around me a couple of times, Annemarie came to look, I don’t think the dog would have bitten me, I think I may have startled the dog coming in the doors. But no harm done.

After asking for a blanket, the reply I got was: ‘unbelievable, you had the heater on last night, a blanket and a duvet’, this made me feel very uncomfortable, almost like I was being told off for using the heater, (which I used until about 12pm and restarted it at about 4am), and then asking for another blanket. The heater I refer to is the air-con which is turned to 30°C, however don’t be fooled it doesn’t warm the room up as much as you would think. The remark I felt was somewhat uncalled for, and there’s no need to make people feel uncomfortable if it’s your business to make them comfortable. Added to this I thought comment a little unfair, as each night there was a blazing fire in the owners/managers cottage, clearly visible when parking your car. I come from a much warmer climate and have trouble adjusting to the cold.

Also the hot water pressure in the bath is bad (the shower and basins were fine which is strange as I would think they run from the same water pipe), I actually considered phoning the owners/managers to come fix it, but it was late, raining, and cold, and I didn’t want to bother them.
Thus I left with very mixed feeling of Allegria, would I go back I think so, in summer mind you. Would I recommend it to other people, yes, it is really a beautiful place to stay, and very good value for money! But I personaly would try to avoid the dog and asking for another blanket :)

Room Tip: Rhino room is great!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Fantastic place to be and discover all the wine area's....
Anja and Henk make us feel very welcome and gave us lots of tips.

So when you love wine, flowers and friendly people you must stay at this Guesthouse

Room Tip: All rooms are good but some of them hace a bathtub with a stunning view!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple