“HOPES TOO HIGH?”

Ranked #10 of 266 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have heard from friends how amazing this restaurant is so after seeing it advertised quite a lot we decided to treat ourselves to a dinner. I loved the setting and honestly, the food was good but not phenomenal. Perhaps I was hoping for too much after all the rave review. Both my partner and I decided to go with the winter special as it seemed to be good value. Both our starters were brilliant and I could not fault them. The beef main was cooked to perfection, it was so tender and juicy but it was a very heavy dish and it needed something to lighten it up. Did not like the pineapple dessert (which was the only option other than cheese if you were having the special). It was far too sweet and I was not convinced by the texture of the snow. Definitely needed something to tone down all that sweetness. I am sure people with a very sweet tooth would have enjoyed it. Both my partner and myself thought that the food was forced on us too quickly. At that type of restaurant you want to relax, enjoy yourself and spend a couple hours taking it in. We were in and our far too quickly and I feel that at a restaurant of this sort you should not need to ask for a gap to breathe between meals. Overall I enjoyed it, and I will go back, perhaps go a la carte though.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We were taken here by the owner of Bizoe wines (his wines are fabulous!) who told us it was one of his favorites. I was not expecting anything special but was blown away almost immediately by the caramel infused butter. (How do they do that?) Everything was perfectly prepared and beautifully presented. The restaurant itself is unassumingly simple country style, the service was great and the food exceeded all expectations! Dessert was art on a plate. If I lived nearby, I would be a regular.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Winter or summer, if you want good food visit Terroir. This is one of my favourite restaurants in Stellenbosch. Visited on Saturday evening to celebrate a friend's birthday and the food was fabulous as usual. The lamb shoulder and saddle combination I had for main course was probably the best lamb I had in years - outstanding tastes. Friends had the kingklip in bouilebaise sauce, also great. For that matter also all the other courses. Service attentive but unobtrusive as always. Great restaurant.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We blew the whole month's eating out budget in one sitting but it was worth it. Terroir is expensive but every detail was executed perfectly and special. From the three different types of bread with an olive tapenade and burned butter spread to the exotic tomato and cheese salad. The salad was something that you see on Master chef with tomato ice and cheese cream. The main courses were also extraordinary and although we did not have deserts we received the most beautiful fudge, macaroons and madeleines with our coffee. A wonderful ending to a really spectacular evening.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We had lunch in the restaurant, the first time we have visited the place this year. Frankly, I was disappointed. It has always been one of my favorite place for special occasions and with visitors from overseas. It has changed. Menu is still pretty good but it is, in my opinion, over priced for what it is, and for the area.
We had a salmon starter, very well prepared, but over priced for what arrives on the table. For the mains, my wife had a second starter in place of a full meal, it was very good, but again, when you consider the local pricing, quite expensive.
My main was fish. The main elements were very nicely cooked, good presentation but the Bouillabaisse did not come up to standard.

As usual, the wine was excellent, SB Family Reserve, outstanding!

After the initial greeting and seating, service was "enthusiastic" the girls was very pleasant but needs some formal training. She was too quick to clear the table between courses. I also prefer the wine to be place within reach as I really do not care for too much attention.

If Terroir are to charge the prices, they must provide the product and the service.

This review reflects my last visit only.