“Indoor heated swimming pool PLUS the best dinner of my whole life!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Majeka House

Majeka House
Ranked #3 of 112 Stellenbosch B&B and Inns
California
“Indoor heated swimming pool PLUS the best dinner of my whole life!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

We flew into Cape Town and spent our first 2 nights in South Africa at Majeka House in the suburbs of Stellenbosch. Loved it! Will definitely return!

POOL:
I swam in the indoor heated pool to work the kinks out of my jet-lagged body. It was spring, and too cool to swim outside. I had the indoor heated pool to myself! It's a mid-sized pool, and while it's not huge, it's just long enough for swimming laps. I do wish I could have used the sauna or steam room after a swim, but for some reason they were always turned off, and I didn't know how to work the controls. One time, somebody actually came in and turned it off while I was swimming in the pool. On my next visit, I will just ask in advance to have the sauna or steam room turned on for me.

FOOD:
Our meals at Majeka House were impressive and gourmet! We enjoyed 1 amazing dinner at Makaron, the restaurant at Majeka House, and 2 outstanding breakfasts were included in our room price. (Dinner costs extra.) I'm a foodie, and I plan to book a return trip to Majeka House just for the food! (-; We were delighted with the fresh, creative food, with outstanding flavors, textures, and presentation. It was the finest dinner I've had in my life! My favorite wine on our trip was a Sauvignon Blanc from Darling, which I enjoyed with dinner at Makaron at Majeka House.

ROOM:
I booked the Mountain View suite because I wanted the warmest room. There was a heater in the bedroom as well as a gas fireplace in the sitting room of this roomy suite. The Mountain View suite is spacious and has colors which seem masculine to me, but still romantic. We were very pleased with the suite! It has a huge comfty King bed with a good mattress.

STAFF:
The front desk staff were always attentive, cordial, eager to help, and very professional. They helped us with phone calls to locate a lost credit card. One young woman at the front desk recommended an inexpensive store where we could purchase 2 cheap cell phones with a phone card, to make inexpensive phone calls within South Africa. It was cheaper than any of the places we had checked out on our own! This was much appreciated. The only time the staff gave us poor advice was when they sent us to a restaurant in Franschoek which turned out to be disappointing, as the food wasn't good. This was on a night when most of the restaurants in Franschoek were closed, but we do recommend that they keep their list of reliable restaurants updated. I was also disappointed that we couldn't meet the owner of Majeka House...I don't even know who the owner is. But overall the staff took excellent care of us!

CONCLUSION:

Majeka House is a 5-star boutique hotel, and it was a worthy splurge for our first 2 nights in South Africa. Because of the indoor heated swimming pool, the impressive gourmet meals, and the professional, attentive staff, I hope to stay there again on a return trip to the Cape winelands.

My only suggestion for improvement is that when we were shown to our beautiful Mountain View Suite, it was also explained that the drinks & snacks in the room were an “honor bar” and available for purchase. However, we dislike the concept of placing items for purchase in the rooms of paying guests. We prefer having complimentary drinks & snacks in the room, or no drinks at all! It's nice to at least have complimentary tea & coffee in the room. This room didn't have any complimentary drinks.

Room Tip: The Mountain View suite is the warmest room, with a heater in the bedroom and a gas fireplace in the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

The friendly and accommodating staff add to an already wonderful package. This is how a boutique hotel should be run; personal touches abound and your every need is catered for. The spa is world class, the gardens lovely, the pool and jacuzzi are wonderful. It's outside Stellenbosch central which is fine, but don't expect to be able to walk to other restaurants easily (not that you'd want to, just go to Makaron). This was out second stay there and we extended our trip by another night because we were so loath to leave.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Tim,
Thank you very much for writing this review. Your kind words are very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Kind regards
kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed at Majeka House for one night last week. The rooms were quirky but classy and totally gorgeous with an extemely comfortable bed. Having also viewed some of the other rooms, each room is different with its own distinct colouring & character. Mine was coloured with green tones and had a fabulous canvas ceiling to stare at. I'd definitely recommend booking the mountain view rooms, truly stunning!!
The absolute highlight for me had to be dinner. We were treated to a fabulous meal which tasted divine. I can honestly say it was the best meal I had while in South Africa! The waiters were fantastic and so knowledgable, it was such a fun evening. Breakfast the following morning was also very good with a great selection of juices and pastries, cheeses & cereals plus a hot menu too. Karine (one of the owners) told us that almost all of the fruit & veg/herbs etc are grown on site, so my healthy green juice for breakfast was fresher than fresh! Amazing!!
The owners Lloyd & Karine made us feel so welcome and can't thank them enough for their hospitality, they have created a fantastic retreat in Stellenbosch. It is a short taxi ride into town, would recommend Cubana's for drinks after dinner too :)

Room Tip: Go for mountain view rooms - they were beautiful!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Lola,
WOW - thank you so much for all your kind words. Feedback like yours make it all worthwhile.
I do hope you will visit us again soon.
Eltville am Rhein, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Ok, the interior designer seemed to be on speed or steroids at least when creating this place, less would have been more, but this is only our personal taste. The rest was simply amazing. Dinner in the Makaron restaurant is definitely a must and also meeting Josefine, the sommelier and her fresh approach to wine was a highlight. We also had the best massage ever. The location is very central if you are up to a foodie feast like us, Terroir and Rust en Vrede are just around the corner,and also the famous vineyards of Tokara or Delaire Graff. Absolutely recommendable!

Room Tip: 501 and 502 are very spacious and have their own pool and a nice roof terrace.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thandiblu
Dear Thandi,
I passed on your comment of "seemed to be on speed or steroids" to the designer. His laughed and responded with "think how boring life would be if we all liked the same thing".
I am thrilled that you enjoyed our restaurant and spa and we look forward to welcoming you back at some stage.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Took my mom for a mother/daughter much needed rejuvenating reunion. 3 night cork trail package including breakfast, dinner, massages and wine tours. From arrival the staff were so welcoming and helpful and friendly. The spa was bliss, food wonderful, room lovely and spacious - only problem the step up to the shower and loo as mum had had hip replacements and still recovering but she managed. The owners were lovely and interested to chat about making Majeka more disable friendly.
I was sick and on antibiotics so the wine tours were altered to make it more interesting for me i.e. some sight seeing and shopping added in which was really lovely and much appreciated. The restaurant was lovely, excellent service and food and again very accommodating and patient with our food allergies. Would and have highly recommended Majeka House and would love to return when I visit South Africa in the future.

Room Tip: We chose the garden room because it was spacious and had a lovely garden outlook.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Jenni,
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your valuable time with your mom. On your next visit I hope you are well and able to enjoy some of the superb Stellenbosch wines.
I am glad you enjoyed our facilities and thanks for the recommendation.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

It was hard to fault my incredibly relaxing 2 night stay a week ago. Not only was the experience outstanding, it was very, very reasonably priced.

My colleague and I arrived late on Friday night after travelling and working all day. We were warmly welcomed at reception and given a brief and succinct tour of the facilities. We were clearly tired so the staff discreetly left unto our own devices.

The rooms are superbly appointed and quiet. The breakfast the next day (included in the room price) was sumptuous and instantly reminded me of the best of Paris. The only trouble was not eating too much!

I also tried the on-site spa which was very satisfactory.

All in all, Majeka House would be hard to beat!

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Hugentry,
Thank you for taking the time to send in this review and for the kind words. This is highly appreciated.
Should you visit Stellenbosch again I hope you will make Majeka House your "home from home".
Best regards
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Myself and 3 friends spent a night at the hotel on the "Bliss Accomplice" package. We had the most amazing time. The food was out of this world and the spa was so relaxing. We particularly enjoyed the personal service - all reception staff knew who we were and went out of there way to help us.
Altogether a fantastic experence and we'll definately be back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Maureen,
It is great to hear you and your friends had a great time at Majeka House.
The excitement that is generated amongst staff by comments like yours is so motivating.
Please visit again soon.