“Great value hotel, excellent amenities, top service”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Worcester Cumberland
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Worcester
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed one night on business. Very nice rooms, excellent facilities. Super friendly staff, very helpful and efficient. Excellent breakfast too. Recommended. The town itself has very little to see and do though.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 February 2014

The Management is very helpful and makes you feel very special and important. the Chefs cook fantastic food. the staff treats you like your at home, my mother was so amazed at how special the management made her feel at a very important lunch at the restaurant, we will always remember it.
the church loves you food and service, I recommend Protea Hotel Cumberland for conferences and special events or just a nice dinner.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The hotel staff were wonderfully friendly and very accommodating of our 3year-old son. The hotel is laid out really nicely with a protected pool and a nice garden to play in. The restaurant also serves very good food, the Karoo lamb chops and ribs in particular standing out.

It was a great stay and I would definitely go back there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Yes it's an old hotel, but the staff and management treated myself my family and friends like royalty. They upgraded my suite free of charge, was welcomed by owner, will go back and just a big thanks to Charl, Ari and mr C..

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 20 December 2013

The Cumberland Hotel is a great hotel, with friendly staff and management. It always a pleasure coming to Worcester and staying in your hotel. The rooms is comfortable and food supper. the staff and management will go out of there way to make customers comfortable and relax. I normally visit this area due to work and they now there is only one hotel i ask for.

Room Tip: i enjoy what they got to offer.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Sorry for having to rate it 1 star. Although the hotel should be a 3 star there were a number of things that made it loose stars specially since I've been to other hotels in the same chain that stand far above this hotel.
It's dated, decore, rooms, maintenance, layout, the whole feel. But, hey, it was after 8 PM, tired from travelling so we checked in.
That is where things were going wrong. We were quoted one price by the staff at the counter, who admitted he was new at the job, so, no problem, take you time, get it sorted, we're patient. But, the first room we got the key could not be found for. Ok, so, the search for an other room started resulting in the room we stayed in. Parking, where, no problem, instructions given and parked at the back.
Now the room, it was located in a sort of Atrium with it's windows open to that 'Atrium' (which is nothing else as an open space now covered in a bit of a DIY fashion). So no windows to the outside and that is odd, specially if you like me love a bit of fresh outdoor air. But ok, tired so just leave it, but, came to regret next morning as that 'Atrium' echo's a lot of noise, anything noise wise that happens there get's bounced around and ends up in the room. Bathroom was ok, decent shower. But for the rest the whole room felt claustrophobic diy afterthought location. I had to ask the desk at night for a way to login to the Wifi which the attending staff could not find so they would call back. That never happened but I left it, too tired to bother.
So what else was not right, well, I was about to give 2 stars actually but we decided to go for breakfast. There was nobody to meet and greet so we just selected a table and had breakfast, which in itself was pretty good, so well I opted my review to 3 stars. However, were were on the late side but were brushed off by the manager at the end as they needed to prepare for lunch, so it was not possible to work around us to set up all tables it sounded like. Hmmm, not impressed but ok, we cooperated. Packed up, and checked out and that is where all stars evaporated. On checkin we had to pay all in advance, ok, not a problem, guess they have had people do a runner on them in the past (although this was nearly forgotten by the evening desk staff as well). But we were presented with a bill, ....., for breakfast and parking! We were not told by the evening staff breakfast was extra or an option. We were not told by the evening staff that parking was not free. So, I complained of course, why should I pay for something that were were not told about? Paid parking on the parking of the hotel, that is not of this world. I argued with the desk staff, in a friendly manner, no need to shout, and later the manager who stated she was just the manager and only doing her job. I did not want to pay for something I was not informed about. But the manager claimed not to be able to change bills, which I think is BS. Now the problem was that the car was on their locked compound as otherwise I would simply have walked out without paying. I did pay in the end to basically get the car back and be able to leave and enjoy my holiday but I will be complaining to higher management. I pay for what I sign up to pay for or what I know I will have to pay for, I don't like paying for something that I am not informed of nor can be found in their in-room information booklet (as also there nothing is mentioned on charges).
Avoid this hotel !

Room Tip: Just don't, find something else!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hannerie S, Owner at Protea Hotel by Marriott Worcester Cumberland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Spamobile,

Firstly, I wish to thank you for taking your precious time to inform us of the deviation of standards.

We wish to humbly apologise to you and your partner for the deviation.

I have owned the PH Cumberland since February 01, 1970 (43 Years) and we are very proud of the hospitality we provide our World Wide Guests.

I have personally investigated your comments and wish to inform you that you have helped us to immensely improve our service and hospitality.

Looking forward for your return for us to be able to provide you with the well-known PH Cumberland hospitality.

Have a great day

Egidio Cardoso
Owner/Managing Director

Reviewed 9 December 2013

The last time I was at Cumberland was in 2010, I really enjoyed my stay at the hotel and now 2013 it was even more beautifully renovated. The rooms are spotlessly clean , STAFF are awesomely friendly and helpful. I really felt like a queen. The furniture at the restaurent is so warm and welcoming to top it all their food is so lovely. Coming back to the location of the hotel, excellent; WHY?? it is closer to the train station and most of the public transport one don't have to say I dont drive. Ordinary people like me can afford to stay at this hotel and get the best service I was with my grandchildren and friends from Bermuda who also enjoyed themselves. This hotel caters for every member of the family including kids and the elderly folks. You get the relaxing feeling the minute you walk in the hotel. A home away from home. The excellent service, the warm and welcoming furniture makes it worse.
. My grandchildren are already asking me, when are we going back to visit Charl, Arie,Johan and Mr Cardoso these are the managers which befriended us as my grandson asked me why are the managers working like that when they are supposed to oversee the STAFF members? To be taken around the hotel was as if we were there for sight inspection and that felt special to us. At check out time the kids were still enjoying themselves and we sat waiting oh the beautiful smiles and service re offered makes a person want to stay more , when I go back there it will be for a holiday not a week end for it is too short moreover you do not have to go out everything is here for you to enjoy. I would like to thank the STAFF and management at Protea Hotel Cumberland.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Thank Kholiswa Doroth... G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Worcester
Golden Valley Lodge
#1 of 6 in Rawsonville
Aan De Doorns Guest House
Aan De Doorns Guest House
#1 of 17 in Worcester

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Worcester Cumberland? Share your experiences!