“heaven in goa”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Arpora
delhi
“heaven in goa”
Reviewed 25 March 2010

it was my first visit to Goa so i was a bit nervous about what to expect, however the staff were lovely and made every effort to ensure that i was well catered for and happy, I never once felt anything but welcomed and looked after .The staff were helpful friendly and courteous. My son turned 18 during our stay and the staff arranged for a cake complete with candles and personal message. Our room was cleaned every day and the room boy and housekeeping staff were extremely trustworthy and courteous ..Its an ideal place for a relaxing holiday, lovely pool and good food. Easy to get around as there is plenty of transport available. About 50Rupees in tuktuk to beach at Baga, about 20 mins walk.We had clean bedding and towels every day - and he made intricate displays with the towels - a different one for each of the5 days we were there - the best 2 being the crocodile and the 2 swans. The food at dinner - was 1st class - we only ate dinner outside the hotel once the whole time we were there. It was a memorable holiday/

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2009

Well I'll start by saying we're here at the moment! Having read some of the reviews on here we were very wary when we arrived, not sure what we would get... It's been so good I felt I have to log on here to say how fantastic it is! I'll go through a few things:
Rooms: The rooms are basic but very clean (every day so long as you hand your key to reception) with fresh sheets and towels daily. For 2* it is much better than we were expecting! You can choose fans or air conditioning, ours has fans and that is perfectly sufficient, the nights are cooler anyway! The towels have been arranged on our beds in a different formation (rose, love hearts, swans etc) every day, very nice to come home to!
Food - The food has been superb and you can't ask for more. We have eaten a lot in the hotel having booked half board for about a fiver a week extra each so we could afford to go out if it called for it! We have tried several other restaurants in the area too, but just out of nosiness! For example I ordered a special last night (most meals will cost you 150Rps (2 pounds)/nothing if you have half board but specials you may have to pay extra as the dinner limit on half board is 200Rps) of the lobster which when it arrived turned out to be on a huge platter filling half the table! Complete with rice with small prawns in it, the usual "tomato candle", chips and salad. The presentation and the lobster itself were outstanding.
Staff - probably the most attentive staff I have ever been looked after by, there is no way you will have an empty glass for more than 2 seconds! All very friendly and helpful with anything and everything.
Location - from descriptions we had expected to be in the middle of nowhere but when we arrived we found a wide selection of local shops and restaurants in Arpora (on the doorstep) which provide anything and everything you will need. It is situated on a road off the main Arpora road meaning it is quiet but still with everything close by, and it is on a "back road" of Baga Beach so you can get a Tuc Tuc there for 100Rps/just over a pound and many other beaches can be reached for a little bit more.
Pool - You may never need to go to the beach as the pool is lovely; L-shaped allowing plenty of room to do lengths and a deep end where I haven't found the bottom yet :-) although the local beaches are stunning!
Anything else you want to know I'm happy to answer any questions; drop me a message and I will try and come on the internet again soon!
Until then, I'm off for a fresh pineapple juice :-) Highly recommended!! Oh - and ps, the beer is about a pound for a large bottle ;-)

• Stayed December 2009
2 Thank kindatheartuk
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2009

I didnt think too much of the hotel to be honest when I first arrived and I did ask my Thomas cook rep to show me some other rooms but they were all the same.
To be honest for a 2 star hotel it was clean, comfortable and I felt safe and the staff were always very attentive. I went in December 2008 for 2 weeks with a friend and we had a great time and we are planning on another trip back to the Abalone later on this year.
I went on a B/B basis but to be honest the food wasn't great at this place but there is a hotel across the road (Renton Hotel) which was pretty good and there are loads of bars and restaurants in the area.
The rooms were basic, comfortable and clean. If you left your key with reception they'd make sure your room was cleaned otherwise they wouldnt bother you.
The taxi drivers in front of the hotel are very helpful, they' ll reccommend places to go, sights to see and with these guys you'll save money (much cheaper than booking trips through travel rep)
For cheap and cheerful I'd reccomend it and there are few bars within walking distance and baga beach is 5 mins away by rikshaw and costs less then a pound! Its a bargain!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
wirral
Reviewed 31 March 2009

We stayed at the Abalone for nine weeks 17/1/09 till 23/3/09 and it is our 4th visit. The hotel is basic but adequate. The accommodation can be booked on the internet for £280 per month per person half board. If you knock off the value of the food it works out to £50 per person per week or £100 per week per room two sharing. It is probably the cheapest hotel in Goa but it always attracts some negative criticism. So what do you get for your £50 quid a week? Cheerful helpful staff, good food, your room cleaned as often as you wish, a huge swimming pool which is usually empty, a good base from which to see Goa. Most people arrive at the hotel on a package holiday and so have no idea what they are paying for the hotel. The Hotel is not perfect but at £50 per week per person it certainly has far more good points than bad. Many people return here year after year. I have already booked my flight back with King Fisher airlines India’s only five star airline. My flight is a return (£350) which brings me back to India in January 2010. Now you have the cheapest hotel and the cheapest mode of transport.
Alan Gillam

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlanGillam
newport
Reviewed 29 March 2009

i stayed twice at abalone appts second time our room was robbed when we were out all the cash from my wifes purse was stollen they didnt want to know food was terrible rats onn the ground floor never again 4 us

2 Thank charliebach

Travellers are raving about these Arpora hotels

stourport-on-severn
Reviewed 10 January 2009

We were at the Abalone from Dec 26 till Jan 9th 2009. Very basic hotel. Rooms were a nice size, we had one overlooking the pool which was nice. The hotel was under occuupied, about 20 out of 80 rooms taken. On the amount of guests there the restaurant could not cope, often an hour or more wait for food or even a coffee. Having said that, that is no reflection on the staff who were great. the food was great "when it came". The hotel charges well over the odds on exchange rates ...Im sure they all do, so go to a money exchange. The Jewellery shop owner is a pest and will try and catch you every time you walk by. The tailor was highly recommended. by customers staying at the hotel. If this place had a few grand spent on it it would get more custom. For info its a 40 min walk to the beach......thats in the morning when its cool, and its a treacherous walk down a lane with lots of traffic. 100 rupees well spent on a taxi.... We were on the beach on new years eve but all those who stayed said they had a great time... hi to the Indian punk rocker and her partner with the dodgy tattoo.. they made me laugh... had a geat time, but to be honest Baga is better !

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2009

19th December 2008 - 3rd December 09

LOCATION
--------------------
30min walk to baga beach - nice walk. 100rupees (£1.20) taxi to baga beach or better still hire a scooter like we did for 200 rupees a day! The hotel is near a few good restaurants, Alfresco is the best one! Try the crab and cord cakes to start with then the bengaly mustard prawns!!

HOTEL
---------------------
Basic but we knew that before we booked! Staff really friendy espcially Captain, Ray, Bidopt and Pronob!
Beds were as hard as concrete and the pillows too but i slept no prob after i got a soft pillow :) Room was basic, 2 single beds, 2 ceiling fans, small wardrobe, fridge and table.We were half board and although the breakfast was only tea/coffee and toast - it was fine. We ate here a few times and were really surprised at how tastey the food was! Try the specials (they never change) Golden fry prawns and Crispy chicken :)
Christmas dinner was a buffet, nothing to write home about but did the soaking up of the alcohol!
New years Buffet was much better and the entertainment with the dancers and hours of fireworks (bangers!) was excellent!

Best beach shack by far was BISTRO located at the end of baga beach a near brittos. Lovely staff, food and dogs!

Weather was excellent! I tanned better than i ever have! 30 degrees plus!

Dress code was casual! Being a women i took way to many clothes and flat shoes! In the end i wore the same sandles during the day for 2 weeks and a different pair for at night!

I highly recommend people to come to this hotel around the december xmas time if you are up for a laugh with people aged 20-60. We met lovely people and we will all be heading back to the ABALONE to meet up next Xmas.

Any questions just give me a shout :)

Lexi

Stayed December 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arpora
Alor Holiday Resort
#94 of 111 in Calangute
Amigo Plaza
Amigo Plaza
#10 of 39 in Salcette

Been to Abalone Resort? Share your experiences!