“Hideaway” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Perth
“Hideaway”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

While it all sound good because it's a German Bakery we didn't find it very tasteful . The table was nice and it is just a cafe so all is good. The serviettes are not nice. Like little squares of cut up tissue paper. Useless to wipe anything. I had schnitzel and chips with salad. I could just see the oil seeping out. Sorry it was just greasy and not very nice. The salad of chunks of tomato, lettuce and carrot had thousand island dressing dumped on the top. Overall it just was not a nice experience.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Portales, New Mexico, United States
“Great Breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Great little restaurant for breakfast. Good bakery, good coffee, nice people with big smiles all around. A touch out of the way and harder to find but worth it!

Visited August 2014
York, Australia
“Great little Restaurnt”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a great little restaurant and bakery. Very clean and great meals for a very good price. The service was wonderful and I would recommend the Candi Bakery to everyone.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Taiwan
“German Bakery with Indonesian Comfort Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

While trying a German bakery in Bali would have been interesting, but since I was traveling solo with a limited number of meals (and limited room in stomach for all the choices), I chose to stick to just sampling just local food. Interestingly, on the forum here Candi Bakery was actually recommended for the local Nasi Goren and Mie Goreng, so, yes I went to a German Bakery for Indonesian food.

There are (I think) three Candi Bakery, one on the south end of the main road of Candidasa, one just outside of entrance into Candidasa, and one father toward the (northeast?) side past the "downtown" area. I went to the one on the south end of the main road.

The place was cozy, cloth napkins on tables, (free maps and travel information), a pastry counter, lots of natural light from the glass windows and door (yes, there is a door so the street noise isn't as big of an issue). The floor is sparkling clean, and the girl running the store, I noticed, was bare feet. An expat customer that came in while I was eating took off his shoes by the door before entering as well. When I asked, they told me it was ok to wear shoes inside (Whew!)

Got my Bali coffee first (it was a cafe, so it felt right to get a coffee even though it was to go with fried noodles...), nice and hot and BLACK. Very strong stuff. The coffee was served with sugar on the side, and it definitely was better with sugar, even though I usually take my coffee black. And it was kind of thick and muddy by the time I got to the bottom. STRONG stuff. I was buzzing almost right away.

After taking my order of Mie Goreng, the girl disappeared into the kitchen, and I heard sounds of cutting, hot wok and fire (couldn't see, I'm guessing it was a wok). This is one of the fun things about being the only customer. You get to hear the sound of your food being prepared (and you know it's yours). But in smaller eateries like this, because there is no constant traffic, you have to wait because the food isn't already half-made waiting to be finished and served to you. It is made when you place your order.

I've never had this dish before and wasn't with a local so I can't say much about its authenticity - I can only judge from my personal taste. And it was a very comforting dish to have. Hot from the kitchen, the thin round noodles were "Asian al dente" with enough texture and not mushy, and the flavoring was a balance of slightly sweet and savory with a layer what might have been chili but not much detectable heat. Wonder if it has been adjusted for expats and tourists. But it does have the taste of a home-cooked comfort food, and it was really easy to just take bite after bite until it's gone (but it was a good size portion - enough to feed a working person who needs this as fuel),despite the fact I can't seem to describe it in a very exciting way.

But I think that's what this dish is supposed to be, a home cooked comfort food. No fireworks to make your taste buds sing and dance, but satisfying for the soul.

• Visited May 2014