“Not on rainy days! (and Christmas holiday!)”
Review of Baclaran Market

Baclaran Market
Ranked #5 of 20 things to do in Paranaque
Paranaque, Philippines
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Not on rainy days! (and Christmas holiday!)”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Baclaran is one of my favorite places. For one, the famous Redemptorist church is here. Did you know that the church helps urban poor communities? It does! That makes this church special for me.

Second, this is one place that reminds me how hard-working Filipinos are - and how creative they can be in trying to earn clean living. You will see them around the place, some hawkers, though follow you annoyingly trying to make a sale, others sell stuff only few people can think of - dog chain, jerseys, bubble makers, etc. I am annoyed, amused, at some of them, but I cannot also help but admire their ingenuity and perseverance.

Third, it houses the first station of the LRT. That means, I can get a better seat!

Fourth, the prices of most commodities are really affordable - I don't like to say cheap for it may connote derogatory meaning.

Fifth, it is one place in Luzon where Muslims, Christians and whatever religious beliefs interact quite harmoniously. It gives me a feeling of hope that well, biases can be transcended after all.

Let me warn you, however, to be extremely prepared if you plan to go for shopping or whatever reason on rainy days. Some areas flood. Not also on Christmas season - you would not have to walk because the crowd will just push you - sometimes to the direction you don't prefer to go!

Best time to go around and buy: any day, around 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM. The sun is not yet scorching, the streets are not yet so crowded. If you can tolerate extreme heat, it is also nice to shop anytime from 9 AM to 5 PM. Be sure to ask price around first, if you want the lowest price for the same item, before deciding where to buy.

See you around!

Visited April 2014
5 Thank Ten P

• Korean first
Ware, Hertfordshire
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Total chaos! Go prepared!”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Wild! So much to see, so many people. Dirty, noisy and colourful. Cheap? Who can say?? It's a short jeepney ride from central Manila.

Visited December 2013
4 Thank bradstow2
Orange, Australia
199 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 198 helpful votes
“Nice Market”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

You can take a bus from the airport to Baclaran and enjoy shopping in the open air market. I tasted a Filipino bizarre food balot, duck egg just before it would be born.

Visited December 2013
Moreton Bay Region, Australia
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 192 helpful votes
“Huge market so many stalls”
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Caught a jeepney along quino street to here. The market is huge and spreads out everywhere. I always carry a shoulder that covers my pocket where my wallet is. Then I have my phone in other pocket and put my hand in that pocket. My wallet is connected to my shorts via a chain. If I ever feel anyone walking behind me I always stop and let them walk past. So far this technique has stopped me being pick pocketed whilst in the philippines and I have been using the train and Jeepneys to get around. Have found that they don't really want to haggle with white foreigners so once they tell me the price I just walk away and find it cheaper at another stall. A couple of begging children.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank twobigfeets
Darwin NT
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Good Bargain shopping ifYou can get the right price”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I went here not too long ago, it's a good place for bargains and it's better if you can blend in as a local. If that can't be helped and you stand out like a tourist in the crowd - be prepared to have people snatch or pick pocket. There is too many small alleys and places to run after they snatch. Just have your wits about you and don't keep big amounts of money of you. I've been here with my local family and blended in quite well without drawing attention of others and had no problems. On the other hand I've taken my husband here and he is of European decent and this made things more harder for both of us and it drew attention of little kids begging for money people following us and then attempted snatching. My advice is don't wear sunglasses that are of expensive value or jewellery that's going to get snatched. And hold onto your handbag. I only prevented a snatch and grab incident by one of the stall holders I bought from advising me that I'm going to get robbed soon if I don't leave as the usual snatchers were already starting to stake out my handbag. If you get robbed don't try to chase them as they're all one big family there. You'll end up hurt more.
Safe and happy shopping. I got many bargains before being put off by the stated above.

Visited October 2013