“2nd bargain capital of Manila” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 18 things to do in Paranaque
Paranaque, Philippines
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“2nd bargain capital of Manila”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Baclaran market is always been the 2nd mecca for bargain goods if you are in the south (Divisoria market being the No.1). The place is awfully dirty whether in the rainy season or summer season. But you can't go wrong in finding almost everything you want and need when it comes to clothes, shoes, gadgets galore, etc and if you are an expert on haggling you can bring down the price to almost its factory price! So many people shop here despite the conditions and may I say that if you are on a tight budget specially this start of school year 2014, this is the place to shop for almost everything your children will need in school!....just be on guard for pickpockets and snatchers.

Visited May 2014
4 Thank Adel S

• Korean first
Paranaque, Philippines
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Not on rainy days! (and Christmas holiday!)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Baclaran is one of my favorite places. For one, the famous Redemptorist church is here. Did you know that the church helps urban poor communities? It does! That makes this church special for me.

Second, this is one place that reminds me how hard-working Filipinos are - and how creative they can be in trying to earn clean living. You will see them around the place, some hawkers, though follow you annoyingly trying to make a sale, others sell stuff only few people can think of - dog chain, jerseys, bubble makers, etc. I am annoyed, amused, at some of them, but I cannot also help but admire their ingenuity and perseverance.

Third, it houses the first station of the LRT. That means, I can get a better seat!

Fourth, the prices of most commodities are really affordable - I don't like to say cheap for it may connote derogatory meaning.

Fifth, it is one place in Luzon where Muslims, Christians and whatever religious beliefs interact quite harmoniously. It gives me a feeling of hope that well, biases can be transcended after all.

Let me warn you, however, to be extremely prepared if you plan to go for shopping or whatever reason on rainy days. Some areas flood. Not also on Christmas season - you would not have to walk because the crowd will just push you - sometimes to the direction you don't prefer to go!

Best time to go around and buy: any day, around 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM. The sun is not yet scorching, the streets are not yet so crowded. If you can tolerate extreme heat, it is also nice to shop anytime from 9 AM to 5 PM. Be sure to ask price around first, if you want the lowest price for the same item, before deciding where to buy.

See you around!

Visited April 2014
5 Thank Ten P
Ware, Hertfordshire
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“Total chaos! Go prepared!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Wild! So much to see, so many people. Dirty, noisy and colourful. Cheap? Who can say?? It's a short jeepney ride from central Manila.

Visited December 2013
4 Thank bradstow2
Orange, Australia
199 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 195 helpful votes
“Nice Market”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

You can take a bus from the airport to Baclaran and enjoy shopping in the open air market. I tasted a Filipino bizarre food balot, duck egg just before it would be born.

Visited December 2013
Moreton Bay Region, Australia
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 194 helpful votes
“Huge market so many stalls”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Caught a jeepney along quino street to here. The market is huge and spreads out everywhere. I always carry a shoulder that covers my pocket where my wallet is. Then I have my phone in other pocket and put my hand in that pocket. My wallet is connected to my shorts via a chain. If I ever feel anyone walking behind me I always stop and let them walk past. So far this technique has stopped me being pick pocketed whilst in the philippines and I have been using the train and Jeepneys to get around. Have found that they don't really want to haggle with white foreigners so once they tell me the price I just walk away and find it cheaper at another stall. A couple of begging children.

Visited October 2013