Best of the East: Faro, Olhão, Tavira and Vila Real de Santo António

Book in advance
from
£45.23
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Mercado de Olhao
from £45.23
More Info
from £52.19
More Info
All reviews fruit fish market saturday morning fresh fish seafood great market stalls selling self catering local produce fish section worth a visit spent a week cafes and bars cold beer veg kilo butcher
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 May 2015

Fun experience from the get-go! Shopping locally is always a priority, I feel as though I am giving back to the community for the hospitality they show to me. The Olhao market is no exception. Sure, speaking fluent Portuguese might be a help, but there was no problem when we only knew how to say Bom dia, obrigado, and danada. Merchants recognize that you are a foreigner and write down the amount you owe so you can figure out the coins and paper money. Even if you do not buy anything - the 'looking' is fun! The selection was great and it made shopping an experience!

Date of experience: May 2015
1  Thank patpetetravel
Reviewed 20 May 2015

The Markets in Olhão are the heart of the city. There is so much variety of any kind of foods that will make any traveller jaws drop. And then there's the fish market where all different kinds of fish and sea food is sold. Don't know how to cook? Ask the seller he will tell you the recipe for your lunch in no time. As a frequent visitor to this market I always go to the same stalls to get Oranges, meat, honey and fish.

Best time to go is on Saturday morning where the farmers market occur next to the markets. Its so good to get really good bargains that I often feel bad for paying so little. Once even, the old woman seller looked at me surprised for giving her more money "no it can't be so take these clementines, the strawberries and this extra orange". I tried to say no but she refused and that afternoon when I rode the plane home I arrived in Cork after my holydays with a weeks worth of good fruit!

This is an unmissable genuine Algarvian market. If you want to know what the Algarve truly is be sure to check it out!

Date of experience: May 2015
1  Thank vascoc1983
Reviewed 9 April 2015 via mobile

Just back from olhao stayed in real marina residense, fantastic apartments very clean, if you go explore the streets plenty of shops and lovely places to eat big hello to angel in 620 on main st only opened five months so welcoming and friendly great spot enjoy the rooftop terrace and dont forget the jazz bar tuesdsy and thursday live jazz. Bangor

Reviewed 27 March 2015

The local fish and vegetable market is worth a visit when going early. It closes around 12:00 but most of the good merchandise will be gone by 10:00 or earlier. It is a nice visit, people are friendly. A real authentic experience. They serve nice cakes and coffee. Great value for money.

Date of experience: March 2015
1  Thank John E
Reviewed 2 January 2015

This is typical Portuguese market. One part sells fresh fruit and vegetables and the other fish. If you are on a self catering holiday, this is the place to stock up on all your food supplies.

Date of experience: December 2014