“A fair review for those that expect 'real' 4*/5*!”

Paloma Grida Resort & Spa
Ranked #44 of 88 Hotels in Belek
Oxford
“A fair review for those that expect 'real' 4*/5*!”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We’ve just returned from a 2 week stay at this resort and whilst overall I would say we enjoyed it, we were also quite disappointed and would not contemplate returning. Everyone has different standards & their own interpretation of what 4*/5* and reading some of these reviews having experienced it ourselves, I wonder what people are used to, but for us, this was most definitely not a 4*/5* resort.
We were a party of 5 and paid £5'600 effectively for four of us as we apparently had a free childs place!!
PGV is a large resort based mostly on individual villas split into rooms and with everything being outside ( receptions, bars etc) in theory this sounds lovely but in 45°c it doesn’t make things very comfortable. We were disgusted with the original room we were allocated, it was grubby, air conditioning did not work, springs were coming up through the mattress of the camp bed they’d squeezed into an already crammed small room, the ‘mini bar’ (small fridge with a couple of soft drinks and two beers) did not work either. Basic is the best way to describe the accommodation and I have stayed in more luxurious youth hostels! We got nowhere with reception staff, they were useless with a poor understanding of English and pretty rude and uninterested. We immediately contacted the Thomas Cook rep who to be fair was very good and we were lucky enough to be moved to an ‘upgraded’ room. Again, basic at best but the air-conditioning whilst not fantastic, was at least working, the room was much cleaner (although not spotless) and overall we were much happier and continued on with an open mind.
Dinner was a different experience altogether. The main restaurant is an enormous buffet style restaurant rammed with people and inefficient air conditioning. On our first night we couldn’t even finish our meal we were so uncomfortable because of the heat. All three of our children (9,4 & 3) and ourselves were soaked through, we honestly looked like we’d all been for a shower fully clothed. We spoke with other families that had been there a couple of days longer who were equally as disappointed but who also said you do get used to it. To be fair, I don’t know how the kitchen staff even know where to start when having to cater for such a huge amount of people and I appreciate that it is probably frustrating to conjure up a variety of food that’s different every night. The buffet was always beautifully presented and the very fresh but we found it very repetitive and basic.
There are 5 additional restaurants to choose from which they call ‘Al a carte’. Let’s be clear, these are not Al a carte restaurants by any stretch of the imagination. Two of them, Lotus (Chinese) & Four Seasons (international) are at least inside and have pretty good air conditioning. Food is by no means bad, but the point is it wasn’t that great either or in line with our expectation of a 4*/5* resort. However, we were just grateful to have the opportunity to eat dinner in a cool environment and have waiter service! We didn’t try Ada (fish) or the German restaurants and heard mixed reviews on what these were like. We did try the Turkish restaurant, again outside so no air-conditioning but the setting is nice and again, the food wasn’t fantastic but it was nice and we enjoyed the overall experience of the meze style meal.
The resort itself looks lovely and the idea of having it based around this outdoor village theme is idyllic. The grounds are kept pretty immaculate and clean and the vast majority of staff are very friendly and helpful. The facilities for children are fantastic..pools, water slides, beach activities, entertainment, playground with carousel rides and the Thomas Cook run kids club was also fantastic with lovely staff. Evening entertainment was indifferent on the whole however, the reproduction of The Lion King and the Africa show, we thought were fantastic in every way and we were truly amazed by the amount of effort & work that went into them.
You expect the heat during the day and so dress accordingly and you do eventually get used to the temperature and humidity increase in the evenings. We also had to get up at 5.30am every morning to secure sun loungers and even at this time a vast majority of them had been snapped up. It’s ridiculous you have to do this but unfortunately it’s just how things work on these package holidays and you have to play the game if you want to be able to relax by the pool for the day. This could be a great resort, the theme behind it is lovely and for the children it really does deliver but if you are used to nice things and true 4*/5* this falls short. It is average at best if looking at overall accommodation and food standards and I would rate this 3*.

Room Tip: If your not happy, complain, they will eventually upgrade your room if there's availability.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Krystalclear

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lier, Belgium
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I spend 1 week with my wife and 2 sons in Paloma Grida and it was ... great!! Nice hotel, friendly staff, great food and great accomodation. They only negative point: you have to get up reallllly early to claim a pool-side relax chair :-/ On the plus side: chairs at the beach are always available, the sea-breeze colls a bit and t's only a one minute walk to the pool!! I'm happy to recommend this hotel to whomever is in for a relaxing stay in Turkey!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank JorreVD
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We had a lovely holiday. We have been there before many times but were very sad this time to see that there had been many changes to the entertainment and staff at the hotel. We felt that the new entertainment manager lacked expereince and let down the evenings and some of the daytime activities. I heard him several times speak to his staff in my opinion not in a nice way.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank chrissalter
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We have just returned from a 2 wk stay at this hotel. Overall we had a nice holiday. The accommodation was slightly larger than an average size room with pool/sea view this we paid for in advance of our trip, it was spacious and kept clean likewise the bathroom was clean and in good working order. Beds in my opinion were a little uncomfortable I found myself getting back ache! The Village feel of the hotel was lovely and we loved
Zomm Bar for the air conditioning in the door way and
the cakes out back yum yum. The main restaurant was
average they had themed nights but you pretty much had the same food options every night! We onlymanaged to try the al a catre twice (Turkish &International), we had an issue trying to get the Chinese as each family have to book from your rooms at 9am, our friends got a table we didn't in the end our friends cancelled the booking. Feel that if your party is more than one family an option to book together shouldbe available.The pools were nice though a little to warm some might say. There are 2 main pools 1 with waterslides and 2 small children's pools, I felt the options were limited as I have a 6yr old who can swim when she can stand up in the water, yet the main pools were too deep or the shallow part was too shallow. Kids and adults alike enjoyed the waterslides, but I didn notice several people slip when
walking fast or running and one occasion little girl feel whacked her head (as I heard it) she got up and carried on yet the life guard didn't go over to make sure she wasn't concussed!! The getting up extremely early to get a decent place around a pool you liked was a pain and we have experienced that many time before, however when your on holiday who wants to get up at the crack of dawn!! The evening entertainment was good, however, they need something for the slightly older child (10+) at
the same time as the show or just after, we generally headed to Zomm Bar or Games Room but they could have done with starting the disco nr the beach at that time rather than waiting till 11pm. The town centre was a short 10min walk away and worth a visit especially for the Saturday Market. We travelled with Thomas Cook (Direct Holidays) the cost of trips were in stirling and in my opinion costly I would not recommend the trip to Troy water park I thought it was over rated and over priced, compared to a waterpark we have been to in
Cyprus it was pretty poor. I would however recommend
the Family Day on the Mobydick but did hear others who had a bad experience we didn't and had a lovely day. I would also recommend the Turkish Bath trip which Thomas Cook offer but be warned they will try and get you to spend more money when you get there, but a
nice experience anyway. We took Turish Lira and Euros
and to be honest got collared most days when buying
English papers in the onsite shop (seems the price of
papers changes daily and not just Sundays!!), whilst I
have highlighted a few points which we found frustrating
it did not spoil our holiday, the staff were friendly, hotel
was clean and the food was nice, we also made use of the free mini fridge in our room too. Overall I would recommend this to others, but would consider trying some other sites myself if visiting Turkey again. Thanks to staff and management for the work they put in whilst we were there. KR

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Mycommentscount
Kildare
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Hi all,

I booked this holiday in June for my family with Direct Holidays (Thomas Cook). On booking I was told by direct holidays.ie that I was getting a room with seperate bedroom and living area. When I contacted the manager of the hotel I was told I was getting a superior room! and that this did not have a seperate living / bed area. I was totally upset and annoyed as I specifically requested this from the operator who assured me this was the case plus I had paid extra. The manager (whom I contacted seperately) of the Hotel is a lovely man and was very good at communicating with me. I had settled for paying the extra money and not getting what I originally paid for when I received a phone call from direct holidays telling me there was a system error and that I only have a standard small room (even though it said on my tickets Superior / Deluxe room). I am so upset about this, I have been passed from billy to jack on the phone and I cannot get answers. My holiday is booked for the 21st of this month. I dont know whether to get my money back or go on the holiday and not know what type of accomodation we are getting. I was so looking forward to this and the hotel looks amazing the the reviews are brilliant, but the travel agent has really messed us around and my whole family holiday has just been ruined, I dont even feel like going now. It has just put a dampner on the whole thing. I dont know what to do.

Louise

Room Tip: Do not book with direct holidays I paid for a room I didnt get
Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Louise1241
Essex
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Just returned from a 11 night visit to the Paloma Village. This is our third visit to Turkey in as many years and have stayed at different hotels each time.

For those who have already sampled the all inclusive packages that Turkey offers, this hotel is on par with others we have stayed at (Lara Beach and Royal Dragon), but does offer something different, being the set-up of a village style, along with low rise accomodation and cobbled streets (aka Centre Parcs), compared to the marbled high rise hotels mentioned.

The accomodation (rooms) are a bit on the smaller side, just about accomodating a family of four, however who spends all their time in the room. One point to note, is the airconditioning which is okay but is very noisy. The bathrooms are also in need of a refresh. Other than this they are clean and kept that way and offer all the usual facilities.

Food and drink is what you expect from an all inclusive, with themed nights which help to stray away from the buffet norm. We did not try any of the al a carte restaurants, but those who did rated them highly.

The pool areas are busy and an early bird (5.30am!) was required to bag the best positioned sun beds.

The entertainment was reasonable most evenings, but on a number of nights it excelled with the lion king and the african acrobatic show.

Overall, it is what you expect a 5 star turkish hotel to be ( a 3 star UK hotel) but is fairly comparable to others we have visited. We would consider returning.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank RichardEssexUK
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I went to Paloma Grida with a very good friend and her sister. Very good hotel.
Had a very nice holliday, with special thanks to Soner, Mustapha, Onur and Amélie of the animation team. They were always there if you needed anything and brought much ambiance in the activities and dance evenings.
I was planning on going back, but heard that Soner and mustafa had to leave????? Hope this is not true; they made very big part of my holliday.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Andelhaye
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belek
Gloria Verde Resort
Xanadu Resort Hotel
#18 of 88 in Belek
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,280 reviews
Cornelia De Luxe Resort

Been to Paloma Grida Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!