“Fourth visit to this hotel”

Papillon Belvil Hotel
Ranked #20 of 93 Hotels in Belek
Reviewed 3 November 2008

"Never go to the same place twice and never go on one of those horrible all inclusive holidays". This was my mantra for years and it has been well and truly broken.
We first booked this hotel because we were going at half term in the last week of October. We felt it would be a good idea to have on site facilities in case the weather was inclement. We also liked the idea of the three a la carte restaurants in case we got bored of "samey" food in the main restaurant.

We have had only two poor days of weather in our four visits (all at the same time of year) but to our surprise we have found ourselves joining in to the activities which is not normally our thing. The animation team always let you know when the
activities such as archery, rifle shooting, Boccia, keep fit and many other varied games are about to commence but there is no heavy pressure to do so .Initially this encouraged us to have a go and we soon found the activities were run by with such a light humourous touch that the actual activity almost became irrelevant. This year Efe and his team really helped make our holiday

The food choice and quality is wonderful and we have only bothered with the a la carte restaurant on one occasion. Mind you this is just as well as other reports of the impossibility of booking these restaurants are perfectly accurate.

I can only second other reviews about cleanliness of everything and the friendliness of the staff . Although there were very few British Guests this year we did not feel marginalised and found our fellow Europeans good company

Only one word of caution. The British school half term is one of those most expensive times to take a holiday. This does coincide with the last week of the Hotel summer season where some of the facilities are being run down. We could not for instance use the pedaloses and the mid afternoon ice cream and doughnuts were not available on the last two days of our holiday. For this however we had the complex facilities designed for 3000 people shared between just a few hundred. At times it felt like our own private resort.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
7  Thank Holidayman003
Write a ReviewReviews (1,417)

Reviewed 25 October 2008

Returned a couple of weeks ago and felt I needed to say what a lovely hotel this is. We only stayed for a week which I now regret we should have stayed for two, we thought the weather would not be so good in the third week of October but how wrong can you be, it was still around 28 degrees. The 'club' rooms are adequate if a liitle small but the service is excellent. The rooms were cleaned till sparkling every day and the mini bar topped up. The buffet restaurant was excellent with outside dining available. The choice of food was never ending and all well presented. The a la carte restaurants were good but the booking system is diabolical. You have to book the morning you want to visit your chosen resaurant and needless to say with German, Russian and French guests also staying in the hotel it becomes a bit of a bun fight as there is no proper 'first come first served' queue. We did manage to book what we wanted once we understood the system others used, just push in.

The Chinese a la carte is a bit strange although very tasty. There is no menu but you do have the choice of beef, duck or chicken for your main course. The Italian was very good, menu provided, not a huge choice but again very tasty. The fish restaurant was very good again, you do have a choice of menu and all courses were tasty. I chose sea bass for my final course and was a bit shocked to see a whole large fish on my plate, not that it wasn't good I was just too full to eat it.

The bars are all very good with good service and choice of drinks. The wine leaves a huge amount to be desired which is quite surprising as this is a french owned hotel, I found most of the time it was undrinkable. I think this was the only downside to the whole holiday.

Everywhere you look staff are cleaning at all times. I noticed one day after lunch had been served at the beach bar after the food was cleared away everything was cleaned thoroughly. We usually expect to have some sort of tummy upset on holiday (ranging from very bad to just a nuisance) but we didn't have any sign of one so felt this was a big bonus.

My husband used the tennis courts a couple of times, by the way hi to Geoff and Di. The entertainment was excellent and well done to the entertainment team with all the different languages they spoke.

All in all this was a brilliant hotel with plenty of staff to make you feel welcome and even the Russians and Germans weren't so bad as some other Turkish hotels I have stayed in.

I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank holidaymaniac_8
Reviewed 15 October 2008

We have just returned from a week at the Papillon Belvil along with four of our friends. The hotel is lovely with very good service from all staff. This is an all inclusive resort and the food was excellent, the spirits are all local so I would suggest if you only like your branded makes to take a bottle with you otherwise the drinks were fine my husband especially liked the beer (lager) as he said it wasn't to gassy. As we were only there for one week the women in the party only went away from the hotel the one day this was to make a trip into Antalya, be carefull with the taxi's as there are expensive the round trip cost us about £70 for a 3hr stay and there wasn't much to see when we got there either. The men in the party played 3 rounds of golf at various courses and they were all very very impressed with the quality of the courses.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
4  Thank Woo_8
Reviewed 26 September 2008

Me and my girlfriend returned from the Papillon Belvil on Wednesday and we had a fantastic time. Unfortunately we got off to a bad start as our flight was cancelled on the Tuesday we flew due to Thomas Cook having a nightmare with planes and then pilots. This was the only down side to the holiday. Thomas Cook were solely to blame. No information and no help when we needed it. That said when we finally arrived 12 hours later than planned we were blown away. We pulled up on the coach and immediately we were greeted by a bell boy. He took our bags to reception and we were checked in very quickly. The bell boy took us to our room and explained how to use things. We then took a walk around the amazing facilities. Pristine gardens, a large pool, bars and a fantastic beach. The room was spacious with a shower, tv and FREE minibar. All of the staff were helpful and friendly and there were 2 in particular that were fantastic. One of the bar men called Alpay was exceptional. He remembered your face, always smiled and knew what your drink was everytime. We tipped Alpay early in the holiday and he looked after us all week. Amin was the other that stood out. He was one of the entertainers and was really funny. He liked to get you involved and liked a chat in the evening. A genuine guy not one of these fake entertainers. His friend Abdou is really funny as well and he is also one of the entertainers. The shows in the evening were all very good as well as the day time animation. There was always something to do but you must get involved. The Russians and Germans always join in but you must as well. The pool was slightly on the cold side and the sea was warm. A lovely beach and free use of pedaloes gave you plenty to do. The weather when we were there was in the mid 30's (celcius) and hit a high of 37. The food was on offer all day round and the food was very good. Always something to eat even if your a fussy eater like me. Overall the holiday was fantastic. If you book through a travel agent and they offer excursions you probably wont need them but if they offer you white water rafting it is value for money and a good day. The hotel is clean all the time and is a must for all if they want to go to this part of Turkey.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank octagondal
Reviewed 3 September 2008

Although we started off bad following a 7.5 hour delay via Monarch Airlines, I was quite optimistic everything was going to be ok when we arrived. Unfortunately, I was wrong! Our rooms were not ready and they tried to offer us an alternative apartment, the furthest away possible, which was not ideal as my mother in law, 72, was unable to walk this distance daily. After a couple of hours we finally got rooms adjacent, although not what we booked, and again the next morning we moved again!!
The hotel itself was quite large and whilst there was a good variety of food on offer, I was a little disappointed in the entertainment provided, particularly with children, as there was a language barrier as many guests were either Russian or German and they seemed to take preference to the English. There were a couple of really good shows in evening and unfortunately there were a couple of really stupid ones too! The dancing was brilliant - its a shame that they cannot sing and mime everything. The spa was very spacious and we tried out a turkish bath. take heed, do not go on your own as I wouldn't trust the men, particularly a young teenage girl! My mum and I couldnt believe our eyes when two turkish men turned up in loin cloths to carry out treatments! Very nice if you're into that but I found it rather embarassing.
Beach was wide stretched and lovely with various watersports on offer and the kids enjoyed the slides.
The cleaning could have been better in our rooms but overall cleaning of hotel seemed very good.
A good all round holiday although I wouldnt go to this particular hotel again as I found the Russian/French to be very arrogant and impolite.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2008

Well what can I say.. I have just returned from a 2 weeks stay at the Papillion Belvil in Turkey (well it is actually nearer to a place called Kadije, but that's just splitting hairs) and I feel compelled to let everybody know how GREAT this hotel is.

The transfer time to the hotel is about 30 minutes from Antalya airport. You will be greeted with somebody offering you a funny coloured drink (try it, it is only fruit juice and colouring) and once you have been checked in by the friendly staff, all of whom speak good English, you will be directed to your room.

Don't worry about your cases, they will be brought to your room within about 5 minutes. If you are staying in the bungalows you will be taken there on golf buggies!!

My family was part of a group of 4 families that went, 2 of which stayed in the bungalows, and the other 2 families stayed in the main hotel. The only real difference between the 2 types of accommodation is the space, the hotel rooms and bathrooms are slightly larger but that is it.

The rooms themselves sleep 4, with 2 over sized single beds, a sofa bed and a very sturdy camp bed. You'll long for that extra room in the beds when you get hot at night !! The bathroom has a bath, shower, toilet and separate sink and there is more than enough space for all your toiletries and sun tan lotions etc. There is also a mini bar which is re-stocked everyday.

The hard working cleaners supply you with fresh towels every day. Whilst I'm on the subject of towels, the hotel also provides you with towels for the pool and beach, so you can save on your weight allowance.

The hotel itself has loads of restaurants, and if you wish to book for the a la carte restaurants then you need to book these on the day you wish to go. You need to book them at 10 am in the basement area where all the tour reps are based.

However the main restaurant is more than adequate and caters for all types of people. The food is all freshly cooked aswell, and there are many themed nights, which breaks up the monotony of all-inclusive hotel food.

If you get hungry during the day, get yourself a pancake (they are more like fajita's) that are cooked in front of your eye's by two lovely ladies in a wooden hut. They are cooked from 11:00 - 4:00 everyday, and having experimented with many different combinations I would recommend having a mince, cheese and potato filing in it...

If you’re not into pancakes then you can go to the beach bar or pack to the main hotel for lunch where they normally serve freshly cooked chicken, burgers, chips, salad etc.

By 4:00 you might find that you need something to keep you going to dinner time, or tea time (it depends how you say it !!) and if that's the case I recommend that you go and see the doughnut man between 4:00 - 6:00 every day. He will cook the doughnuts fresh for you and all you have to do is add your own topping.

That should keep you going until dinner time when the main restaurant re-opens. I think it opens from about 6:30 - 9:00pm and if you get peckish later on then the late night restaurant opens at 11.00.

The pool and main bars close at midnight, but the beach bar stays open until 2:00am where you can dance the night away!! You may not be allowed on the beach though, as the area has become a turtle nesting area and security guards patrol the area.

With regards to the entertainment, all I can say is that it is brilliant. During the day the animation team work really hard and there is something to do all day. They are not too pushy in getting you involved but love it when you do. There is one guy there who looks like Cristiano Ronaldo, so he was called Ronny all holiday, and he is always up for a laugh, but saying that the whole team are.

The evening entertainment is superb aswell, and you must watch the performances that they put on every night. The night is always rounded off with a firework display and the "club song" that is performed. Now I'm not much of a dancer, but even I was up doing it. They even sell the CD if you’re interested!!

Outside of the hotel there is not much close by, but I would recommend that you take the tractor into the local town, it's a great experience and runs every 30 minutes from opposite the end of the hotel road. It's cheap aswell, and the kids will love it.

The town itself it not very big and there is not much to see there, but I would recommend going on market days (Tuesday and Saturday) if you want to pick up some cheap stuff. Remember to barter though. There is a shop on site, but it is very expensive so if you can avoid using it do so.

Towards to end of the holiday we all sat around the pool area, trying to find fault with the hotel, but we failed. The place is always being cleaned (if you stand still long enough you will be aswell!!), the food is excellent, the service superb and the weather great. By 10:00 am it was about 30 degrees and at night you sat in about 27 degree heat. The hottest day we had was 48 degrees but the majority of the time is was about 39 - 40 degrees C.

The hotel is made up predominately of Russian and French, about 65%, but there was still a fair share of British (20%) there.

Tips - Slip the barman a few lira at the start of the holiday and they will sorry you out all holiday.

Pool - We found that the chlorine in the pool has some sort of effect to lightly coloured swim wear (it turns it yellow!!

So in a nutshell, you'll love the place, as I've said 15 of us went (8 adults and 7 kids - ages ranging from 7 - 15) and we all had a great time.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
8  Thank Rawlings_Rabble
Reviewed 31 July 2008

great hotel we went in october 07 the entertainment did close outside but we did not find it a problem we had 2 days of rain as we did the year before but we used the indoor pool and spa. when the sun came out it was hot but the evenings chill down so take a cardi!!! the food was fab all day and lots to choose from. we got the papallon booklet so we have booked this year for august the papillon zeugma all good views on this hotel as well so far/ oh and yes lots and lots of russians! but id rather them than a bunch of drunken english wearing football shirts!! great resort beach and hotel. no problems

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family